Question Time Tonight - Page 128 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

I dont watch Question Time but two of my friends watched it last night and said Ian Blackford did well. Interestingly neither of them like Blackford ,  and one of them doesn't even like the SNP, however he said of Blackford’s performance :
‘ Blackford had a quieter demeanour last night than I was expecting, which actually made him more credible - and not just a stereotypical Tory/Boris shouting  ‘Brig o Doon ‘ SNP MP.  A refreshing and positive change of approach in my opinion ‘ . 

The guy voted for independence but isnt keen on the SNP and tbh I am not certain he would vote yes next time. He is not a typical Tory but his politics are probably slightly to the right of centre. 

These are the type of voters that the SNP could potentially win over with a different approach.
They ( SNP) may have now saturated the market for voters using Tory bashing rhetoric and should focus on fighting Scotlands corner in a more positive way. 
 I am not saying not to call out Westminster when warranted, I just think there are voters out there put off by all the negativity. 

I watched it too, and yes, Blackford was quite impressive.

I also watched Debate Night, on the BBC Scotland channel for the first time. My favourite part was this raging Yoon...

7 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I also watched Debate Night, on the BBC Scotland channel for the first time. My favourite part was this raging Yoon...

‘Do the day job then we’ll look at it ‘ 😂😂

Oh , ok.  If you say so Mr Nobody. 

On 12/6/2019 at 12:34 PM, Dave78 said:

On 12/6/2019 at 7:52 PM, TDYER63 said:

Notice he said Your independance

A  weird use of language from allegedy someone living in Scotland 

Or maybe a tourist who missed the bus back to Surrey... 

I love the Unionists saying get on with the day job when they cannot see that in comparisson to other areas we aren't as we are not making a horses arse of it. 

On 12/6/2019 at 7:52 PM, TDYER63 said:

What an angry man, shouting and pointing. I find it hard to imagine going to (by the sound of it) someone else's country and barking at the locals that their government is so wrong they should be ruled by someone else.

More generally, I was just wondering why so many prominent unionists (not ordinary voters) come across as angry and bitter. I mean, it's true that for some causes, people fighting for social justice come across as angry as a wrong is needing to be righted - homelessness, welfare cuts, etc. But why so angry and bitter about something that hasn't happened yet?

In indyref 2014, Better Together was dominated by Project Fear; I don't recall much joyous celebration of Britishness, I only remember there being a couple of demos of any size. One was the Orange Order in Edinburgh, and the other was I think some union jack waving one-off in Trafalgar Square.  (that came almost insultingly late in the day ,as if most people in UK really didn't give a flying f--- about Scotland until the very last point at which they were in danger of 'losing' us.) 

Anyway. Better not sound angry and bitter!

6 hours ago, exile said:

What an angry man, shouting and pointing. I find it hard to imagine going to (by the sound of it) someone else's country and barking at the locals that their government is so wrong they should be ruled by someone else.

More generally, I was just wondering why so many prominent unionists (not ordinary voters) come across as angry and bitter. I mean, it's true that for some causes, people fighting for social justice come across as angry as a wrong is needing to be righted - homelessness, welfare cuts, etc. But why so angry and bitter about something that hasn't happened yet?

In indyref 2014, Better Together was dominated by Project Fear; I don't recall much joyous celebration of Britishness, I only remember there being a couple of demos of any size. One was the Orange Order in Edinburgh, and the other was I think some union jack waving one-off in Trafalgar Square.  (that came almost insultingly late in the day ,as if most people in UK really didn't give a flying f--- about Scotland until the very last point at which they were in danger of 'losing' us.) 

Anyway. Better not sound angry and bitter!

I remember embarrassed Irish pals cringing at the universally despised Bob fucking Geldof.

9_16_blog_bob_geldof.jpg

6 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Notice he said Your independance

A  weird use of language from allegedy someone living in Scotland 

Or maybe a tourist who missed the bus back to Surrey... 

I suspect he doesn't subscribe to being a 'new Scot'.

In fact, i suspect he's a British nationalist white settler.

Thankfully, his native Scots born children probably won't have the same colonialist baggage.

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I remember embarrassed Irish pals cringing at the universally despised Bob fucking Geldof.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Geldof is West Brit right down to his Blackrock College bootstraps. 

Aw c'mon guys, it's Christmas time...

• 2 months later...

Should in theory be an easy ride for Joanna and Val after today's developments

Hopefully there are enough Yes voices in the audience to boo the fuck out of quisling Murray

each to their own but i question how much this show matters these days.  not watched it in years and don't feel any less informed.

just people trying to one up each other and wannabe politicians on the other side.  It's match of the day for some but don't see it having the affect as in the past.

I thought Ian Murray was anonymous, while Massie was trying to be clever but didn't make much of a point. The tory guy reminded me of Tom Hollaner in In the Loop, sort of bbumnling away with some rehearsed soundbites. Cherry must have done well because a lot of people are angry she got her point across! The very presence of Val M was enough to signal it's not just about the SNP.

Fiona Bruce comes across poorly as having so obviously just researched some info she wouldn't normally know about Scotland to try to catch Joanna Cherry out.

Yes it's all a bit of pantomime but it's interesting to see the points made and brought up by the public and not fed through the normal state propaganda. For example the one guy who just said simply (something like) "Chill, we'll have a currency, it's not difficult" was worth a hundred white papers that nobody reads, I suspect.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, exile said:

QT tonight could be interesting, Peter Wishart on, and John Ashton who thinks that governements should be doing more to contain the virus

ES7KDptWoAIxZ08?format=jpg&name=small

that putting it mildly on the Ashton front. He's been laying into them heavy.

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, fringo said:

I missed it tonight. Is it worth watching on iplayer ?

Na, not really mate. Just that moment of comedy when Loki was off on one about mental health and because of the facetime format Bruce was unable to shut him up 🤣

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Na, not really mate. Just that moment of comedy when Loki was off on one about mental health and because of the facetime format Bruce was unable to shut him up 🤣

Fair enough. The programme has declined in recent years. Cheers.

• 6 months later...