Question Time Tonight - Page 121 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

Eilidh Douglas was on Debate Night a couple of weeks ago - she is a brexit supporting Tory, but also supports indy.  So 2 Tories on the panel - aye, that chimes with Scotland's views!  As for John Swinney, is that the best we could do?  QT is now a polical version of Jeremy Kyle, so put Mhairi Black on, or Tommy Sheppard.  John Swinney, FFS.  Clever and competent guy but as his leadership period showed, not an inspiring figure.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Eilidh Douglas was on Debate Night a couple of weeks ago - she is a brexit supporting Tory, but also supports indy.  So 2 Tories on the panel - aye, that chimes with Scotland's views!  As for John Swinney, is that the best we could do?  QT is now a polical version of Jeremy Kyle, so put Mhairi Black on, or Tommy Sheppard.  John Swinney, FFS.  Clever and competent guy but as his leadership period showed, not an inspiring figure.

I wasn't aware of that. I know there are plenty Independence supporting Tories (about 15 to 20% of tory voters support independence) but for the BBC to allow one of them to be let loose on a TV show like this is a bit surprising. I wonder of they know? Will she be allowed to tell folk that it's OK for Tories to support independence?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

but for the BBC to allow one of them to be let loose on a TV show like this is a bit surprising.

She'll be there to highlight the 'being part of the EU isnae real independence' / 'what's the point of leaving one union just to hand all the power over to Brussells' anti-indy argument.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I wasn't aware of that. I know there are plenty Independence supporting Tories (about 15 to 20% of tory voters support independence) but for the BBC to allow one of them to be let loose on a TV show like this is a bit surprising. I wonder of they know? Will she be allowed to tell folk that it's OK for Tories to support independence?

Moray MacDonald is another and he's often on BBC Scotland - TV and Radio - and was in fact on Debate Night this week.

Two Tories doesn't look good for balance, despite (or because) one of them is not declared a Tory. As default, I don't trust the BBC. 

That said, for a healthy debate, the Brexit+indy viewpoint is probably under-represented, and why not air it? If you are confident of your arguments, they should withstand debate. There is no reason a Brexit+indy stance couldn't be used to say "if you like Brexit, you'll love indy". Although it seems more likely a way of luring Brexit supporting indy supporters to vote Brexit party in the Euros, rather than SNP.

I don't understand why they keep putting forward Swinney for QT. I can only assume that when the programme is in Scotland, it will be a target for criticising the Holyrood Govt, and they someone to defend they Scot Govt record, whereas when QT is in England, they can put up a spikier candidate to  lead the Westminster opposition. 

Edited by exile

19 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Because it probably works like this...

Mentorn producer emails the SNP media guy/gal, asking for an SNP representative on the upcoming show.

SNP media person knows it's their job to decide on a panelist. They send out an email request to the party bigyins, detailing the 4 to 1 opposition, and ask who's available.

Nobody replies apart from Swinney, because he's in need of profile and has experience.

Possibly true, but surely someone in the SNP suggests to him that they might someone new or different this time.

Fiona Hyslop is another who is on these programs and pretty lacklustre.

I like Swinney, he's a very competent and good man ; but I just feel he's not best suited for programmes like this especially when its a week before the election - then again, can't imagine huge numbers who are watching will be undecided for next week's EU election - but also, the SNP should be encouraging or trying to get as many fresher faces out there on these shows.

Take your point though, and then again, maybe the likes of Shepperd or Mhairi don't fancy going on this.

Anyhoos, let me know how it goes :) And if it's a good report, I might watch it later.

I'll be listening on Radio 5 live extra

I know it's cheap to pass comment on someone's looks but Christine Jardine gives me the boak

If she was more pleasant or decent i could watch her but all that hatred and bile inside her has manifested itself on her face

An absolutely fucking awful Brit nat politician

Her  putrid hate took off after Salmond beat her in the Gordon constituency in 2015 and was pimped out to Edinburgh West after the Michelle Thomson affair

29 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Anyhoos, let me know how it goes :) And if it's a good report, I might watch it later.

Pff, i won't be watching. I'll be playing Fifa 19 (which is similar in that it's scripted theatre designed to drive you mad!)

Utterly bizarre tonight, Fiona Bruce twice having to call out for any independence supporters as the audience seem packed full of anti SNP but Bruce seems actually concerned that the audience looks too biased! (I do realise there are several pro indy anti SNP voices and they are getting claps)  

Former Tory MSP Mary Scanlon - but she didnt trump the guy at the start that wanted to ensure England's vote for Nigel is forced on Scotland next week

D6uM0fGXoAEj-02.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Watch Debate Night folks, it's considerably better.

True, but always curious to see how Scotland is presented on UK TV, Moray seemingly full of Tories and Brexiteers. 

Just now, exile said:

True, but always curious to see how Scotland is presented on UK TV, Moray seemingly full of Tories and Brexiteers. 

Not Elgin, but didn't Banff apparently vote 51/49 for Brexit?

Honestly, don't bother with this pish folks. If angry at this, get active and motivated, get people out to vote next Thursday. 

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Former Tory MSP Mary Scanlon - but she didnt trump the guy at the start that wanted to ensure England's vote for Nigel is forced on Scotland next week

D6uM0fGXoAEj-02.jpg

Mary Scanlan was in the audience? They're not even trying to hide it.

6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Not Elgin, but didn't Banff apparently vote 51/49 for Brexit?

Honestly, don't bother with this pish folks. If angry at this, get active and motivated, get people out to vote next Thursday. 

I think Moray was the most Brexity authority areas in the country so it's not surprising for a healthy representation, and as i said earlier it's fine to see the indy/Brexit combination reflected on the panel/in the audience. I agree face to face persuasion is more important but still, not going to turn a blind eye to the BBC 'irregularities'. I mean they must surely know who is asking the questions, they must surely have to declare their party affiliations and not give the impression these are ordinary punters. 

Maybe they should reverse the QT format. Find five ordinary punters picked at random off the street outside, and fill the hall with party plants and be done with it. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Mary Scanlan was in the audience? They're not even trying to hide it.

Along with 4 (presumably) ex Tory councillors 

D6wN-DIXoAAk-8B.jpg

I still want to know who the middle aged Scot who asked the Brexit party question was

He was something fucking else 

my experience with folk i have met from elgin or moray for that matter is that they are usually indy friendly however there are a lot of ex RAF and forces folk up there who are very vocal in their anti independence stance. Question time is an absolute joke in reflecting the public

Decided to go and see if any plants this week and the internet is undefeated again, there looks to have been at least a half dozen and thats all i one tweet!!!

The net has really changed politics from how easy it is to be mis-informed with fake news, but also the opposite how hard it is to trick folk.

Doesn't matter how fly uoi think you are the collective brains over everyone watching will be more effective almost all the time.

5 hours ago, exile said:

I think Moray was the most Brexity authority areas in the country

Aye was 49%  Brexit .... big Military base and retired military there.

Have to say that John Swinney looked quite shocked at some of the audience reaction and my the midway point looked like a frightened wee boy dreading the next question. Salmond would have handled the situation better.

Tough of course with the other panelists generally conspiring against him and his party but he did recover  and was a bit more composed towards the end of the broadcast.

Edited by Catchart Circle
spelling error

• 2 weeks later...