Question Time Tonight - Page 119 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

4 minutes ago, phart said:

You provided the link about the "producer" who is clearly a far right idealist.

When I said "someone" needs to get their jotters, that's clearly who I meant.

It's undoubtedly a stitch-up job, but one's that's backfired spectacularly and has exposed what's been going on behind the scenes.

7 hours ago, CumbernauldJag said:

Beattie and the co-host were very defensive about people having to apply to get on. Even dismissed the point that Billy Mitchell himself said he was invited on. 

Yes I was surprised by that. Thought they must either be toeing the BBC line or playing devil's advocate.

BBC still denying bias and endorsing Mentorn who also get to produce the Scottish QT. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/feb/18/bbc-scotland-director-donalda-mackinnon-question-time

"Acknowledging the anger some viewers felt about the corporation’s coverage of Scottish politics, she said: “I don’t imagine that we’re ever going to eliminate that, but the creation of an integrated nine o’clock news bulletin in the centre of the schedule, I hope, will go some way to addressing it.” " 💩😷

(Where's the boak emoticon when you need it?) 

It looks as if tonight's line-up is the financial secretary to the treasury Mel Stride MP, shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald MP, Chris Leslie MP, former England and Liverpool footballer John Barnes, and commentator for the libertarian website Spiked, Ella Whelan. So BBC immediately giving a voice to The Independent Group ahead of the SNP, DUP, Lib Dems, Greens,... Fair enough, it's topical this week but we'd expect them to be behind the others in the queue thereafter.

Edited by exile

So Chris 'independent' Leslie gets a bit of a pasting, so much so, Bruce feels she has to come to his aid but struggles to find anyone in support.  Waffled about needing new ideas but didn't offer any. 

Incredibly QT yet again invite on a UKIP plant then tweet his message round the world. Utterly rotten, broken programme. 

If I'm not mistaken, no one had asked a question about antisemitism, so Bruce just pitched it to the Labour guy anyway. 

I think they said that someone from this new group of independents is on the show next week as well.  If I heard that correctly, that is disgraceful given they aren't even a political party.  When was the ast time the SNP were on 2 shows running?  Never, I suspect.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:11 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

it amazes me that folk still watch this pish.

People probably watch it for all sorts of reasons, including those who think it's pish. And/or masochists or insomniacs.

Had a look at the Scottish version last night,  seemed more like a normal reasonable discussion, less shouty and showboating. 

Anyway,  QT tonight.... has some same old faces Nadhim Zahawi MP,(usually reliably irritating),  Barry Gardiner (will they try to get him to say bollocks?), and the inexplicably over-exposed Lionel Shriver (is it because we don't have enough American voices?). Two possibly more interesting cases, Layla Moran (Lib Dem) "the first British MP of Palestinian descent" and German comedian, Henning Wehn 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, Alibi said:

I think they said that someone from this new group of independents is on the show next week as well.  If I heard that correctly, that is disgraceful given they aren't even a political party.  When was the ast time the SNP were on 2 shows running?  Never, I suspect.

Why did it take you so long to work out the BBC? After 2014 I just assumed the BBC was finished with YES voters but bizarrely you gave them a pass and only now are you at the end of your tether. I can’t undestand this at all. 

Edited by thplinth

16 hours ago, exile said:

People probably watch it for all sorts of reasons, including those who think it's pish. And/or masochists or insomniacs.

Had a look at the Scottish version last night,  seemed more like a normal reasonable discussion, less shouty and showboating. 

Anyway,  QT tonight.... has some same old faces Nadhim Zahawi MP,(usually reliably irritating),  Barry Gardiner (will they try to get him to say bollocks?), and the inexplicably over-exposed Lionel Shriver (is it because we don't have enough American voices?). Two possibly more interesting cases, Layla Moran (Lib Dem) "the first British MP of Palestinian descent" and German comedian, Henning Wehn 

I really like Henning Wehn but as soon as Zahawi started not answering the first question I gave up and went to bed. 

16 hours ago, thplinth said:

Why did it take you so long to work out the BBC? After 2014 I just assumed the BBC was finished with YES voters but bizarrely you gave them a pass and only now are you at the end of your tether. I can’t undestand this at all. 

I've been at the end of my tether since before 2014.  However, particularly so since the 2015 election, when the SNP got 56 (?) seats, and the logic for having LibDems on the panel every week ceased, but the SNP were still treated as some sort of minority fringe group.  I appreciate that QT is a UK wide show, but the SNP do not get a seat on the panel as often as even their UK representation (something like 8% of the total of UK seats in 2015, a bit less now, merits).  It is interesting to see the BBC under attack from others south of the border now due to their Brexit stance when previously their critics were quite happy with their support for the establishment.

• 2 weeks later...

Belfast edition but with more than a whiff of Great Britain

Conservative defence minister and former captain in the Royal Green Jackets Tobias Ellwood MP;

shadow solicitor general for England and Wales Nick Thomas-Symonds MP,

DUP's Jeffrey Donaldson MP, a former corporal in the Ulster Defence Regiment and Northern Ireland’s longest serving current MP;

Sinn Fein's John O’Dowd MLA, minister of education at Stormont between 2011-2016;

chief executive of the think-tank Demos Polly MacKenzie, who was previoisly chief policy advisor to Nick Clegg.