Question Time Tonight - Page 112 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I quite like Dianne Abbott, I think her heart is (usually) in the right place, however, she should be banned from media appearances, she is pretty much abjectly useless under any questioning or pressure.

I agree with all this. Unfortunately the clip of her on Mastermind seems to have been removed from YouTube. 

Isabel Oakeshott is up there with Melanie Phillips and Julia Hartley- Brewer - absolutely horrendous to listen to the stuff she comes out with. She’s what the mute button was invented for.

Have just listened to her coming out with the same old bull about the effect of ruling out no deal being to cripple May in negotiations - surely if the vast majority of UK’s business leaders and economists have made it clear that it’d be catastrophic, she’s got zero credibility by taking that sort of stance. Like  it or not the UK’s hand isn’t strengthened just because she thinks she can pull a fast one on the EU.

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

I quite like Dianne Abbott, I think her heart is (usually) in the right place, however, she should be banned from media appearances, she is pretty much abjectly useless under any questioning or pressure.

Her opinion on the moped gangs in England pretty much sums up the UK justice system, where the victim gets zero protection and the criminal gets wrapped up in cotton wool. Apparently it's fine for law abiding people to be mugged at knife/baseball bat point, but the poor wee souls doing the mugging have to be protected.

Clueless.

Also, one of the most hilarious interviews I've ever heard:

Clueless 2

The way that she speakkkkkssss slooowwwly and deliiiberatellllyyy infatuates me.

Edited by Chripper

They ganged up on Diane Abbot last night - including Fiona Bruce

Oakeshott attacked her on Labour being behind in the Polls

Abbot said they werent & that it was neck and neck

Bruce intervened and said - No you are behind - and then Definitely

The Polls show Diane was kinda right

Bruce also persisted with a question about what red lines you'd give up, which is only really appropriate to ask the Government, because it's their deal and their intransigence that makes the deal unsellable. And they let Rory boy wriggle out of answering it. But Bruce and Oakshott tried to stick it to the others but it's not appropriate to ask that of Diane Abbott (or Blackman) since their more desired deal would already be more EU-friendly/Remainer friendly so they don't need to "give anything up" to make it more likely to get accepted by the EU/Remainers. But they made them look like not answering the question. 

Still, Question Time is just a pantomime , it's not what you say, its the conviction with which you say it is what matters, and we don't expect anything different these days. 

The Kings College guy, an expert in the legal or constitutional situation, telling several home truths the BBC should have told long ago, but Oakshott shaking her head (but with no answer) carries the same weight.  

3 hours ago, exile said:

The Kings College guy, an expert in the legal or constitutional situation, telling several home truths the BBC should have told long ago, but Oakshott shaking her head (but with no answer) carries the same weight.  

He’s a smart guy, but unfortunately we’re governed by intellectual pygmies and mendacious fraudsters.

He’s written about his experience last night here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/18/cheering-no-deal-question-time-brexit

4 hours ago, exile said:

Bruce also persisted with a question about what red lines you'd give up, which is only really appropriate to ask the Government, because it's their deal and their intransigence that makes the deal unsellable. And they let Rory boy wriggle out of answering it. But Bruce and Oakshott tried to stick it to the others but it's not appropriate to ask that of Diane Abbott (or Blackman) since their more desired deal would already be more EU-friendly/Remainer friendly so they don't need to "give anything up" to make it more likely to get accepted by the EU/Remainers. But they made them look like not answering the question. 

Still, Question Time is just a pantomime , it's not what you say, its the conviction with which you say it is what matters, and we don't expect anything different these days. 

A-fucking-men!

53 minutes ago, neilser said:

He’s a smart guy, but unfortunately we’re governed by intellectual pygmies and mendacious fraudsters.

He’s written about his experience last night here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/18/cheering-no-deal-question-time-brexit

Thanks, that's the vibe. 

6 hours ago, exile said:

Sounds like she might have a case of mistreatment / abuse, nothing in that article though suggests it was based on her race. 

18 hours ago, exile said:

here in lies the problem ... Labour's red lines the truth is it's a smokescreen like Teresa May, Jeremy Corbyn is trying to wind down the clock he is a ardent brexiter .... he doesn't want to be PM until May takes the UK out the EU ... he doesn't want to be remembered as the PM that took the UK out of the EU, because he wants to use that as a big stick for future general elections like the tories have done with the bankrupt note left by Labour

the EU has stated numerous times you can't pick and choose when it comes to the 4 pillars it's all or none that is why their red lines are red herrings

22 minutes ago, FuNsTeR said:

here in lies the problem ... Labour's red lines the truth is it's a smokescreen like Teresa May, Jeremy Corbyn is trying to wind down the clock he is a ardent brexiter .... he doesn't want to be PM until May takes the UK out the EU ... he doesn't want to be remembered as the PM that took the UK out of the EU, because he wants to use that as a big stick for future general elections like the tories have done with the bankrupt note left by Labour

the EU has stated numerous times you can't pick and choose when it comes to the 4 pillars it's all or none that is why their red lines are red herrings

That may well all be true. My point though was really about the skewed form of 'debate'. (which I now have the excuse to clarify !)

As far as I know both the Labour and SNP positions are already closer to the current EU-UK relationship, and so closer to being accepted by both the EU and the bulk of the currently anti-deal MPs who would need to swing behind any new deal. Therefore neither Labour nor SNP need to 'give up' or 'compromise' on anything they are already proposing. It would only be Theresa May and Rory who would need to compromise and remove some red lines, to get to a position like that of Labour or SNP. 

Therefore if I'm right, it's a false or misleading question to put to Labour and SNP. in that form Even if the member of the public had a right to ask it, Bruce should not have pressed Abbott or Blackwood on it.  It doesn't make sense, so it's difficult to make sense of when answering. The result was that it looks as if they are struggling to answer, or are in denial. And its that perception that matters - Tory boy Rory is excused from answering, but Abbott is made to squirm, with Oakshott gleefully piling in.

Look, it was only a few minutes, and you could say Abbott should have answered better. I'm not even calling 'BBC bias' on this occasion. The original point was the tawdry nature of the debate/pantomime. 

...I guess a conclusion here is that political parties should only put up people who are naturally articulate, quick thinking, trained in media / rhetoric  / oratory, etc. - to take on the likes of journalists and comedians, who make a living out of being articulate, who have no hard choices to make, no record to defend, no electorate accountable to...

41 minutes ago, exile said:

...I guess a conclusion here is that political parties should only put up people who are naturally articulate, quick thinking, trained in media / rhetoric  / oratory, etc. - to take on the likes of journalists and comedians, who make a living out of being articulate, who have no hard choices to make, no record to defend, no electorate accountable to...

Agreed

Labour continually putting Diane Abbott up for these things after her previous unfortunate gaffs is akin to the SNP putting up John Mason or James Dornan

It was pretty shocking to watch. I thought Bruce was more like a interviewer rather than a facilitator and she seemed to save her worst for Dianne Abbot. She also did not control the audience very well at all and enabled Oakenshott to rabble rouse without control.

Edited by EddardStark

Re Diane Abbott on QT... As a sound expert, I can confirm that Abbott’s microphone was deliberately turned down (and the others turned up) to make her sound weaker, and to make it more difficult for her to defend herself

We've reviewed what was said re polling on @bbcquestiontime. A YouGov poll published on the day of the programme suggested a lead for the Conservatives. Diane Abbott was also right that some other polls suggested Labour either as ahead or tied, & we should have made that clear.

Doesn't matter what folk think of Abbott, if the things alleged are true, Bruce should find a job she can competently do and we need to find out why she was turned down int he first place.

Fiona Bruce doing her bit for Womankind by allegedly suggesting Abbot only got her job by fucking Corbyn? Is that true did she say that?

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Re Diane Abbott on QT... As a sound expert, I can confirm that Abbott’s microphone was deliberately turned down (and the others turned up) to make her sound weaker, and to make it more difficult for her to defend herself

We really could do without this fascist groove malarkey...

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If the Labour Party feel they are mistreated in this way they should withdraw all support for the program. The BBCs, supposed, impartiality would then prevent it being broadcast if all official left wing politicians ditched it.