Question Time Tonight - Page 108 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

2 hours ago, stocky said:

Well did anyone watch it?

I havent watched in years, is it worth switching it on for last nights episode...?

Listened to it on Radio 5 live 

It was soul destroying in parts 

They gave the game away early on that the set up was to attack the SNP on education and they kept it for last 

If the audience is representative of the electorate the SNP should just chuck it 

A country of self loathing fuckers prepared to take the side of Unionist lying bastards and their complicit media 

The SNP is pishing against the wind and it is made worse when Dugdale spews that the SNP have cut so many millions from the education budget and the audience hollers it's applause 

it's as if cunts dont know after all this time how devolution works 

#bbcqt was soul destroying. Unionists in the audience denigrating their own country.Unionist panelists devoid of anything to offer.Lack of ambition & self-hatred is astounding. It’s hard & tiring sometimes but independence is needed now more than ever

I notice that Dimbleby had Dugdale on one side and Thomson on the other. I doubt that positioning was an accident.  Thomson seemed to be given far more time to spout his drivel than some of the other panellists, and Dugdale only slightly less so.  It is a disgrace that such a controlled programme is paid for out of Scotland's BBC budget, for truth be told it has little or nothing relevant to Scotland in it.  Even the question about Brexit and indyref2 was a pretty poor effort compared to some of the other questions that could have been asked about these matters.  The whole programme was pretty bland.  If the intention was to prevent Mike Russell tearing Ross Thomson a new one, it was partly successful.  As for the audience, I doubt that selection is representative of Scotland - as for that semi-literate woman who said something about "getting away from the English", is she a plant?  Clear intention there to give an anti-English patina to the indy movement.  I bet she actually works for Ross Thomson.  Genuine indy supporters don't make facile remarks like that.

Edited by Alibi

I heard it on the radio. It really is an unsatisfactory format. There is no way of really addressing is something is true or not. Is education or health getting better or not? It depends how you measure it. And whose fault is it? Who is making the cuts? It depends who is answering.

But it is pantomime. As everyone knows. Someone makes an allegation (say, that Sturgeon didn't mention education) and so that's a hit so there's a cheer. Then the other guys says she did mention it and they argue a bit.

The people who seem to get most out of it are now those who can perform best - to sound confident and plausible, to sound caring to the audience. To be unruffled if challenged and just shake your head or brazen it out.  It's as if these days panellists need to be coached - and maybe the punters too.

I may be mistaken but I thought the Tory guy got a disproportionate amount of airtime. Maybe inadvertently.  

But I can definitely count, there were more unionists than nationalists. As planned, deliberately, always. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Toepoke said:

To be fair the last time it was in Scotland it was the opposite. 

Ok, in that case, then it must be 99%+ 'always' true, rather than 100% always, but in thinking about the exact proportion it is in a way more noteworthy than the generalisation 'always'.

It's not difficult to 'do the maths' but probably easily 99.7% in living memory for QT as a whole, or if you only include Scottish ones (when balance on tis topic could be seen as most reasonable) it must still be in the high nineties depending how far back anyone could remember or care.

And that's not including Dimbleby!

7 hours ago, exile said:

Ok, in that case, then it must be 99%+ 'always' true, rather than 100% always, but in thinking about the exact proportion it is in a way more noteworthy than the generalisation 'always'.

It's not difficult to 'do the maths' but probably easily 99.7% in living memory for QT as a whole, or if you only include Scottish ones (when balance on tis topic could be seen as most reasonable) it must still be in the high nineties depending how far back anyone could remember or care.

And that's not including Dimbleby!

TBH that's understandable given that most political people in the UK oppose Scottish independence.  And during the actual referendum campaign they did appear to maintain balance on the panel for the shows from Scotland. 

7 hours ago, exile said:

Excellent link cheers.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

TBH that's understandable given that most political people in the UK oppose Scottish independence.  And during the actual referendum campaign they did appear to maintain balance on the panel for the shows from Scotland. 

When you put it like that is seems reasonable. But if you put the two together: the Scottish 'balanced' ones (typically 3-2 no-yes) were far outweighed by the frequency of the non-Scottish editions of the programme, which would typically be unashamedly 5-0 or 4-1 right through the referendum period. I realise the BBC may say that's just the nature of national broadcasting, but if you think how it handled the EU referendum, it would be astonishing if the Government/BBC were to allow European voices from the rest of the union (European) to be given equal or dominant airtime, in fact we very rarely heard an MEP voices, never mind non British MEP voices.... etc etc etc .... Anyway this has all been said before, probably more pressing concerns for now... . 

Edited by exile

4 minutes ago, exile said:

When you put it like that is seems reasonable. But if you put the two together: the Scottish 'balanced' ones were far outweighed by the frequency of the non-Scottish editions of the programme, which would typically be 5-0 or 4-1, all through the referendum period. Anyway this has all been said before, probably more pressing concerns for now... .

There should really be a separate programme for Scotland, considering that most of the issues raised on Question Time are devolved. It would also give a better balance of panellists taking into account the differences in the political landscape in Scotland - ie guaranteed spots for the SNP, Labour and Tories, more regular representation of Greens, more space for minor Scottish parties, independence balance, etc.

53 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

There should really be a separate programme for Scotland, considering that most of the issues raised on Question Time are devolved. It would also give a better balance of panellists taking into account the differences in the political landscape in Scotland - ie guaranteed spots for the SNP, Labour and Tories, more regular representation of Greens, more space for minor Scottish parties, independence balance, etc.

True, but to do that the BBC would have to accept Scotland is different.   

Cannae see them doing that......  we dont even get our own News or even our own WC foottball programme....  

The British is in the BBC for a reason....

1 hour ago, exile said:

On the panel are James Cleverly MP, Sir Keir Starmer MP, Nish Kumar, Michael Dobbs and Zanny Minton Beddoes.

Ive only heard of Nish Kumar, but that last person cant be a real name, without googling, they have to be a right wing lunatic pork?

Exile's review of QT is excellent.

It's no way to measure political thought as the crowd is mostly made up of people who are firmly decided, political activists. It's incredibly easy to lie in the application too. 

Interesting how people perceive things too. Last time I seen it in Edinburgh (not this one) I watched it fearing the worst eg lots of angry English, Brexit Tories etc and found it to be very local, and mostly pro-indy in cheers/applause. Yet a pal of mine thought it was the opposite. 

I'm amazed the Tories are giving the likes of Ross Thomson air time. Then again out of their 13, there's a lot of dead wood in there eg Kirsten Hair is probably the worst. 

19 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I'm amazed the Tories are giving the likes of Ross Thomson air time. Then again out of their 13, there's a lot of dead wood in there eg Kirsten Hair is probably the worst. 

Unless of course it is to treat the electorate with contempt by constantly attacking the SNP on matters that are not devolved knowing that most folk outwith twatter wont know it

41 minutes ago, exile said:

QT from Barrow. Includes Paul Mason and Hannah Bardell (Livingston MP, SNP). Will there be a question about goats? 

Lisa Nandy on it too so the panel is skewed to the left. Balanced out by a raving UKipper Barrow audience though no doubt.

Edited by Toepoke

41 minutes ago, exile said:

QT from Barrow. Includes Paul Mason and Hannah Bardell (Livingston MP, SNP). Will there be a question about goats? 

What's Hanah Bardell done wrong to be sent to Barrow?   It's the shithole's shithole. 

3 hours ago, aaid said:

What's Hanah Bardell done wrong to be sent to Barrow?   It's the shithole's shithole. 

It's a pity oor Hannah prefers the women albeit since she came out she has became less feminine

She has nice assets and a big bottom