Malky's Squad - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malky's Squad

Toepoke

19 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

I see Jamie Paterson being mentioned. Can he play for Scotland ? I looked him up and he was born in England...that's all.

Aye, he is eligible

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/452390/Jamie-Paterson-on-Scotland-radar

His Bristol City teammate, Joe Bryan (left wing back), has played for us at youth level and remains available.

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, he is eligible

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/452390/Jamie-Paterson-on-Scotland-radar

His Bristol City teammate, Joe Bryan (left wing back), has played for us at youth level and remains available.

If true they really should be courted.

Saw a lot of Paterson when he was coming up at Walsall and he was excellent then and is now a key player at championship level.

I know a few on here are sniffy about calling up too many championship players but Paterson, Bryan, Coutts, Fleck etc could all be premier league players in 12 months time so I'd rather call them up early and get them involved like Wales and Northern Ireland do.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

We shouldn’t have to court anyone. How about we give Johnny Russell a shout instead , or take a chance on promoting someone  like Lewis Morgan. 

All guys like this do is offer more of the same but just make it harder for young Scottish lads to break into the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

We shouldn’t have to court anyone. How about we give Johnny Russell a shout instead , or take a chance on promoting someone  like Lewis Morgan. 

All guys like this do is offer more of the same but just make it harder for young Scottish lads to break into the squad. 

I’d have Russell back in the squads now, Morgan will be away in January so could well find himself in a similar position to Stevie Mallan.

50 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Jamie Paterson's parents are Scottish. That's good enough for me. He's as Scottish as you or I am.

Thought you said you were fine with parental call ups ? 

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Saw a lot of Paterson when he was coming up at Walsall and he was excellent then and is now a key player at championship level.

I know a few on here are sniffy about calling up too many championship players but Paterson, Bryan, Coutts, Fleck etc could all be premier league players in 12 months time so I'd rather call them up early and get them involved like Wales and Northern Ireland do.

We don't need to court them at all.

Paterson has said in the past he'd love to play for Scotland and identifies as Scottish whilst Joe Bryan is already declared for us.

It will be hard to ignore them if they are playing for Bristol City in the Premiership next year, although that's obviously a *big* if.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Jamie Paterson's parents are Scottish. That's good enough for me. He's as Scottish as you or I am.

Thought you said you were fine with parental call ups ? 

We don't need to court them at all.

Paterson has said in the past he'd love to play for Scotland and identifies as Scottish whilst Joe Bryan is already declared for us.

It will be hard to ignore them if they are playing for Bristol City in the Premiership next year, although that's obviously a *big* if.

My bad, jumped to conclusions if that’s the case. 

On 30/10/2017 at 9:25 PM, Paulo2576 said:
2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Might be quite easy to ignore Joe Bryan as left back is one position we're not short on!  I know that there are people who are sniffy about the Championship but most of the teams are as good as the Scottish Premiership.  I do wonder if the likes of Coutts played regulalry in Scotland whether they'd be more calls for their inclusion.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sarcasm?

No genuinely not.  You often here it said that certain players are overlooked because they play in Scotland but I sometimes feel it can sometimes happen the other way round as well and others slip beneath the radar when they're playing in England.

12 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

No genuinely not.  You often here it said that certain players are overlooked because they play in Scotland but I sometimes feel it can sometimes happen the other way round as well and others slip beneath the radar when they're playing in England.

Tom Cairney being a prime example. 

He should have had at least twenty caps by now.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

You got the sarcasm bit the wrong way round I was applying it to you saying some of the championship teams were as good as our top division sides.

19 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Yeah Russell should have a good few caps by now, if not starting then off the bench, definatley worth having in the squad. Canny be any worse than that useless bawbag phillips!!!

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Tom Cairney being a prime example. 

He should have had at least twenty caps by now.

Yea agree, great player! dont understand how these guys are missed out sometimes, everyone but the management seem to know about them!

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Shame Bryan is a left back. Right back and he'd be in the squad I reckon.

Same as Barry Douglas, played a decent amount of games for Wolves this season but again left back so well stocked in this position.

Yep. Very short on the right back front. Jack Grimmer waaay down in English League Two is one of very few playing regularly.

Ziggy Gordon's drifted out of the squad for Bialystok in Poland.

Liam Palmer made just his 2nd start of the season for Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night (tho did well enough).

Ralston mostly benched for Celtic.

The you're into the liked of David Gray, Richard Tait, Aaron Comrie, Marcus Fraser.. none of whom look a lot like footballers to me at the moment.

For me it's between Palmer and Ralston who are backup to Paterson. If Ralston's needed in the u21s then we take Palmer as the back up. over 200 games to his name now, over half of them in the Championship. I'm not convinced he's international class, but he's the best option we've got at the moment.

On 01/11/2017 at 2:58 PM, Rab The Crab said:

I’d have Russell back in the squads now, Morgan will be away in January so could well find himself in a similar position to Stevie Mallan.

Lewis Morgan in my opinion is a far better player than Stevie Mallan. 

Mallan’s progress at Barnsley has been halted due to his level of fitness and physicality, not his technical ability. The Barnsley manager has openly said that Stevie remains fully part of his plans once he has improved these aspects and Mallan has completely bought into this. This was also evident in his time with St. Mirren but he was able to get away with it at that level.

For me though, Morgan is a completely different prospect to Mallan, and if he signs for a similar level club i.e. English Championship, he will be a first team regular.

That said, I harbour hopes that whoever buys him will let us keep him till the end of the season.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Yep. Very short on the right back front. Jack Grimmer waaay down in English League Two is one of very few playing regularly.

Ziggy Gordon's drifted out of the squad for Bialystok in Poland.

Liam Palmer made just his 2nd start of the season for Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night (tho did well enough).

Ralston mostly benched for Celtic.

The you're into the liked of David Gray, Richard Tait, Aaron Comrie, Marcus Fraser.. none of whom look a lot like footballers to me at the moment.

For me it's between Palmer and Ralston who are backup to Paterson. If Ralston's needed in the u21s then we take Palmer as the back up. over 200 games to his name now, over half of them in the Championship. I'm not convinced he's international class, but he's the best option we've got at the moment.

Not even mentioning Donald Love!

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Mallan’s progress at Barnsley has been halted due to his level of fitness and physicality, not his technical ability. The Barnsley manager has openly said that Stevie remains fully part of his plans once he has improved these aspects and Mallan has completely bought into this. This was also evident in his time with St. Mirren but he was able to get away with it at that level.

For me though, Morgan is a completely different prospect to Mallan, and if he signs for a similar level club i.e. English Championship, he will be a first team regular.

That said, I harbour hopes that whoever buys him will let us keep him till the end of the season.

Sums up English fitbaw. 

4 hours ago, Marky said:

I’m intrigued by Morgan. I’ve only seen him in 6 or 7 games but he looks a real prospect. There’s a quite a bit of hype building too now with a few clubs being credited with interest. 

Obviously being a st. Mirren fan you’re best placed to judge, should we be getting excited about him? 

46 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

I’m intrigued by Morgan. I’ve only seen him in 6 or 7 games but he looks a real prospect. There’s a quite a bit of hype building too now with a few clubs being credited with interest. 

Obviously being a st. Mirren fan you’re best placed to judge, should we be getting excited about him? 

I genuinely think he’s the real deal, but facts of the matter are that he is currently only being tested against Scottish Championship players. That’s why I said in a post a couple of weeks ago that perhaps a better measure will be his performances for the U21s and on that score it’s definitely so far so good. 

We’ve got a home double header coming up so hopefully he’ll keep up his excellent form so far.