Malky's Squad - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malky's Squad

Toepoke

I do wonder what players have now done a phil bardsley and now decided to chuck it, without us being told... i reckon ritchie for sure as no way he wouldn't get in this squad and the way he pulled out last squad said it all... im worried snoddy has asked to be left out also.

Just want to echo some of the other posts that cairney should start in our midfield with someone with high stamina next to him to be our destroyer..

Cummings in the squad is worrying and really shows up our lack of strikers. 

14 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I do wonder what players have now done a phil bardsley and now decided to chuck it, without us being told... i reckon ritchie for sure as no way he wouldn't get in this squad and the way he pulled out last squad said it all... im worried snoddy has asked to be left out also.

Just want to echo some of the other posts that cairney should start in our midfield with someone with high stamina next to him to be our destroyer..

Cummings in the squad is worrying and really shows up our lack of strikers. 

I'd echo all of that, Jamie Paterson, Matt Smith and Jamie Mackie have probably all scored more than Cummings this season (I think).  Mind you Cummings had an excellent defensive header off the line at the weekend, maybe he could be the solution to our central defensive problems!

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I'd echo all of that, Jamie Paterson, Matt Smith and Jamie Mackie have probably all scored more than Cummings this season (I think).  Mind you Cummings had an excellent defensive header off the line at the weekend, maybe he could be the solution to our central defensive problems!

Jamie mackie, what a blast from the past. Let’s hope he stays there

21 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Genuine question: what anti niemi patter?

If it was a reference to a player's age or nationality  - "he's Finnish(ed)" ? It's the only thing I can think of ? :lol:

Edited by fringo

Glad to see some new faces and hopefully they will get some game time. Would have liked to have seen Snoddy and Cairney in the squad but that may still happen. The ones in the squad I am not keen on are Phillips and Jack as a lot of you have mentioned before.

I think 2 strikers is a bit thin, can't see why Martin is out of the squad as decent to have on the bench at least.

Need to sort out Tierney as he clearly is wasted at right back.

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tierney at right back is not a long term solution, however he is the best option we have as cover for right back. Just because he is on the pitch on the left doesn't mean he cant act as cover for the right back Robertson dropping back or reverting to a back four if he is on the centre left of a back five should anything happen to Paterson. It's fair enough to say only one right back but unless you want fast track the likes of Ralston I don't see an option.

We have to fast track someone.

Tierney and Robertson are two of our best players. They must play. Assuming we don't play Tierney right, then we'll play Paterson right. Then because we don't have a back up for the right back slot, if Paterson gets injured in the first 10 minutes, we have to shift Tierney and then probably shift Robertson as well. 3 changes to the team for the one injury.

Whether we kept Anya in to sit on the bench for right back, or even went back for Bardsley, fine. Ralston seems the best option to come into the squad long term, but there are others, who can just provide cover (as Whittaker was doing in the last squad). Ralston, Palmer, Love, Grimmer, McGhee. I know none of them are 'ready', but that's entirely the problem.

Greame Shinnie has played right-back before. If all you're looking for is "cover" and you want to leave Ralston in the U-21's, then i think we've got that with Tierney, Paterson and Shinnie. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Greame Shinnie has played right-back before. If all you're looking for is "cover" and you want to leave Ralston in the U-21's, then i think we've got that with Tierney, Paterson and Shinnie. 

But he's a left footed leftback, cum defensive mid.. again it just shuts down any forward play from the right hand side. How hard is it to call up 2 right backs? Call up Richard Tait if you have to, just give the team some balance.

20 minutes ago, andyD said:

But he's a left footed leftback, cum defensive mid.. again it just shuts down any forward play from the right hand side. How hard is it to call up 2 right backs? Call up Richard Tait if you have to, just give the team some balance.

Don't agree. If Mackay is intending to play Tierney and Paterson for a half each and Ralston (assuming he's next in line) is playing for the U-21's, then i don't agree we should just call someone up for the hell of it. We have cover in the squad already if there is an injury during the match.  

Perhaps if Tierney or Paterson pull out the squad, then he'll call -up someone else. 

19 hours ago, jamboman said:

I would like to see

Gordon

Pateron Berra Cooper Tierney

Forrest Brown Armstrong McGinn Robertson

Griffiths

Considering the squad thats not too bad, I'll take a wild guess that brown probably wont be there, so someone in for him, and if forrest gave up football that would be grand

15 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Wierd selection particularly in midfield.

Also according to Wiki Ryan Christie is classed as a striker in this squad?! I thought he was a right sided midfielder?

If you're calling up Jason Cummings then McKay should've got a call up aswell, really don't understand it.

Have no issue with Shinnie being again as he's been consistant last few years and deserved call ups before but why ignore Cairney or the Sheffield United players.

Really hope McKay dosen't get this gig full time.

Mckay should defos be in there before Cummings, I think Cummings had played on the wing a wee bit too this season so maybe why he doesnt have as many goals as you would hope. Cairney is another that needs to be in, looked great in the short time he played for us.

31 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Considering the squad thats not too bad, I'll take a wild guess that brown probably wont be there, so someone in for him, and if forrest gave up football that would be grand

Mckay should defos be in there before Cummings, I think Cummings had played on the wing a wee bit too this season so maybe why he doesnt have as many goals as you would hope. Cairney is another that needs to be in, looked great in the short time he played for us.

Think Cairney has either been injured or out of favour at Fulham as he has hardly played this season. Guessing that is why he is missing.

9 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Think Cairney has either been injured or out of favour at Fulham as he has hardly played this season. Guessing that is why he is missing.

He was injured but i think hes back playing now

16 hours ago, fringo said:

If it was a reference to a player's age or nationality  - "he's Finnish(ed)" ? It's the only thing I can think of ? :lol:

You've got it in one. It's up there with the tedious Gazza to rescue with chicken and fishing rod patter

Absolute kuntbaggery at the highest order 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

20 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

You've got it in one. It's up there with the tedious Gazza to rescue with chicken and fishing rod patter

Absolute kuntbaggery at the highest order 

you're a bundle of laughs

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

Don't agree. If Mackay is intending to play Tierney and Paterson for a half each and Ralston (assuming he's next in line) is playing for the U-21's, then i don't agree we should just call someone up for the hell of it. We have cover in the squad already if there is an injury during the match.  

Perhaps if Tierney or Paterson pull out the squad, then he'll call -up someone else. 

But assuming he's halfway sensible then he'll play Paterson at right back. It seems crazy to leave out Robertson or Tierney, so you'd assume they'd be in the line up somewhere as well. That means the only cover for right and left back would be Shinnie.. a player that we probably want to give a shot in defensive midfield, which now seems to be his main position.

We don't have an obvious 2nd choice international quality right back, but sometimes you just need a kirk broadfoot to come in and do a job when you need them. For me that's what Mackay should have in this squad. Someone who brings balance and therefore doesn't mean we have to rearrange other plans if there's a knock to Paterson during the game.

I really think we need to try a new formation to accommodate both Tierney and Robertson on the left side.. 3-2-4-1 seems right for this type of game...

gordon    

cooper berra tierney  

paterson       robertson

brown    

mcginn   shinnie  

armstrong    

griffiths