You know you're getting old when... - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

You know you're getting old when...

5 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

My mother used to plank me in front of a test card to await Bill & Ben, Andy Pandy or whatever, and this tune seemed to be on a loop.   (I don't however, recall Muffin' the Mule.)

I think that might have been bad for your teeth. 

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Those were the days when tv at night finished with late call and started with pebble mill at 1. All morning with the test card.

Jeezo, I havent heard Pebble Mill at 1 mentioned in about 30 years and it pops up twice in a few days. I was speaking to a guy at work who is much younger than me and he said he vaguely remembered a programme called Pebble Mill,  and , being the office dinosaur, he asked me if I remembered it. 

But I remembered it as Pebble mill at 1. Was it one of these programmes like Emmerdale Farm , which shortened its name ?  

I just remember it being boring as fook, but not as boring as Panorama or World In Action 🙁

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

My mother used to plank me in front of a test card to await Bill & Ben, Andy Pandy or whatever, and this tune seemed to be on a loop.   (I don't however, recall Muffin' the Mule.)

😢, awe , the memories. 

Then came the Double Deckers on a Saturday. 

Edited by TDYER63

36 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Jeezo, I havent heard Pebble Mill at 1 mentioned in about 30 years and it pops up twice in a few days. I was speaking to a guy at work who is much younger than me and he said he vaguely remembered a programme called Pebble Mill,  and , being the office dinosaur, he asked me if I remembered it. 

But I remembered it as Pebble mill at 1. Was it one of these programmes like Emmerdale Farm , which shortened its name ?  

I just remember it being boring as fook, but not as boring as Panorama or World In Action 🙁

I thought pebble was the wifey that presented it

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw an episode of it even though I remember the programme - like you I had it marked down as the sort of boring crap my dad would watch. In those days multiroom meant being sent upstairs to do your homework while they watched Crossroads.

Anyway, apparently, it rebranded as Pebble Mill when it was resurrected in the early 90s:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0260644/

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

39 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw an episode of it even though I remember the programme - like you I had it marked down as the sort of boring crap my dad would watch. In those days multiroom meant being sent upstairs to do your homework while they watched Crossroads.

Anyway, apparently, it rebranded as Pebble Mill when it was resurrected in the early 90s:

Pebble Mill was like a 1970s version of the One Show.  There was also a late night spin off called Saturday Night At The Mill.

For some reason I used to think the presenter Bob Langley was the coolest guy on tv.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Ah , great,  I wasnt going mad re Pebble Mill. 

Just  hearing the tune to World in Action and Panorama depressed me as it meant it was close to bedtime too.

The sign of getting old is that I actually like documentaries now. IMO there is far too much choice on TV these days , much of it absolute crap. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Pebble Mill was like a 1970s version of the One Show.  There was also a late night spin off called Saturday Night At The Mill.

For some reason I used to think the presenter Bob Langley was the coolest guy on tv.

Ah, that is how the conversation started , The One Show was mentioned.

Yes, I remember Saturday Night at The Mill too, I still remember the theme tune and the presenter, though I didnt find him cool. Cool was Bob Geldof and Paul Weller 😬

Was it not on about the same time as the Old Grey Whistle Test? 

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ah, that is how the conversation started , The One Show was mentioned.

Yes, I remember Saturday Night at The Mill too, I still remember the theme tune and the presenter, though I didnt find him cool. Cool was Bob Geldof and Paul Weller 😬

Was it not on about the same time as the Old Grey Whistle Test? 

Aws the Whistle Test not on a Thursday night?

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aws the Whistle Test not on a Thursday night?

It might have been, I just remember them being on around the same era.

I didnt watch it, my friend and I stayed at each orhers houses a lot and her older brother watched it. It was too sophisticated for me, I liked Top Of The Pops.

I am sure you are shocked and stunned to hear that 🙂

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The One Show is excellent. It’s like an adults version of Blue Peter