Help keep pubs alive ! - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202436

I am a publican, survived the bad years when pubs were closing right left and centre and still closing in our area, since I took the lease on 14 years ago, 8 pubs within a one mile radius have closed with the latest closing last night.

So, on the assumption that you like visiting pubs, please clicky and sign

Thanks

Michael

I am a camra member who likes going to good pubs with good well kept beers. 

Rates are one thing. I'd say there are lots of reasons leading to pub closures. One being the cost of beer, changing social attitudes and the loss of community pubs. 

Surprised camra let's this happen in their own back yard. 

2 hours ago, arbroath55 said:

Nice to read your pub has a fire. I hardly see them anymore. Reminds me of the village pub where i grew up (closed now!).

On 10/20/2017 at 6:07 PM, Mitre said:

Is The Stag still open in Watford?

Used to be a right shithole.

You got me thinking there so I had to google, The Stag changed its name many years ago and is now Dunnings Bar, I know where it is but never been in it 

On 10/20/2017 at 8:40 PM, Dave78 said:

Nice to read your pub has a fire. I hardly see them anymore. Reminds me of the village pub where i grew up (closed now!).

We`ve got a fire but had to stop using it many years ago, replaced it with a gas effect one which people are still happy to sit round 

On 10/20/2017 at 8:39 PM, bonzo said:

I need to read things properly at first I thought the senior sister was called starfish ward :blush:

the curse of journalism in small ( ish ) town newspapers, I sometimes feel that unless you write it for them word for word, they will get it wrong

On 10/20/2017 at 8:26 PM, flumax said:

I am a camra member who likes going to good pubs with good well kept beers. 

Rates are one thing. I'd say there are lots of reasons leading to pub closures. One being the cost of beer, changing social attitudes and the loss of community pubs. 

Surprised camra let's this happen in their own back yard. 

Probably a combination of all of the above. The current rating system needs overhauling as it is based on topline ie turnover, so say I put in Sky / BT which would increase my turnover as I'd attract sports trade, I'd need to shift quite a bit of beer etc to cover the £12k a year it would cost me, my staff costs would also increase so though my bottom line would increase I'd probably lose most of it as my business rates would increase