Scott McTominay - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

CNelson

Yeah he's drifted out of contention recently but that's not unusual for a young player especially at a club with huge competition at the club.

I doubt anyone in August thought he'd make 20 appearences for Man. United and start games in champions league knock out and v Chelsea and Liverpool.

Look at the positive. Scotland this season had two players starting in knock outs of CL. Less excuse not to get to major tournament now....

9 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

He's a very Mourinho style player (i.e. a bit drab, holds the ball up and gets back to defend)

Mourinho will only be at Utd for a couple of years, so unless he gets a regular start next season, then I doubt he'd get much opportunity with a new manager? 

Unless Mourinho would take him to his new club? 

14 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Mourinho will only be at Utd for a couple of years, so unless he gets a regular start next season, then I doubt he'd get much opportunity with a new manager?

I think he would. Carrick is retiring, leaving Matic as the only defensive mid they have. Herrera and Pogba can be very hit and miss. Sometimes great, sometimes just absent. So I think McTominay's 434 minutes in the league this season will be the lowest number of minutes he'll ever get from now on.

I read that Mourinho is not playing Eric Bailly at the moment, as he wants to give the players going to the World Cup continued match time to keep fit instead.

Maybe McTominay comes into that thinking as well...

Edited by saintsparky

• 8 months later...

It's a strange one.

How on earth can a player be offered a contract extension when their club have no manager? Yes, there's football people at the club, but suppose the next manager doesn't rate McTominay?

And I'm guessing the majority of the fans will be groaning at the news that McTominay has signed a new deal, generally they don't rate him... at all.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

It's a strange one.

How on earth can a player be offered a contract extension when their club have no manager? Yes, there's football people at the club, but suppose the next manager doesn't rate McTominay?

And I'm guessing the majority of the fans will be groaning at the news that McTominay has signed a new deal, generally they don't rate him... at all.

Why not? There not going to lose a potentially profitable asset just because there isn't a manager in place. New manager doesn't rate him? Sell him.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

It's a strange one.

Fans are idiots though.  They didn't like Darren Fletcher for years.

20 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Why not? There not going to lose a potentially profitable asset just because there isn't a manager in place. New manager doesn't rate him? Sell him.

True. I hope the next manager takes a shine to him, otherwise he could be punted out on loan or sold. Saying that, though, I'd rather he sold than him getting splinters on the United bench.

9 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Fans are idiots though.  They didn't like Darren Fletcher for years.

I know. It's unfair that with some clubs home-grown players have to prove themselves more than a foreign export. With Fletch I think it spurned him on and made him even more determined to prove the detractors wrong. Let's hope McTominay does the same.

If you read the forums, a lot of the fans, even though not totally convinced about him, believe he offers more than other players in a similar position....namely Fred, Perreira. And you have got to remember the way Mourinho used him in games....... A centre half he definitely is not! 

It took Fletcher years to eventually win the fans over.....and this was after Roy Keane slated him publicly! 

Not surprised he's been offered a new contract despite them not having a permanent manager. Man Utd have said publicly that they're moving away from the manager having autonomy over the squad and clearly as a club they rate him. 
Haven't been on their forums but I live in Manchester and speak to several season ticket holders who all speak highly of him as he does offer something different to their flashier players. I think if, as reports suggest, Fellaini & Herrera move on after this season then he'll start to gradually get more game time.