Scott McTominay - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

CNelson

2 hours ago, andyD said:

The Sun "reporting" that he turned down a call up to the full squad.

Given the Sun's reliability and that they'd probably quite enjoy having a good sh*tstir, i'll wait till there's something more concrete on this before judging it.

It was mentioned on Radio Scotland there too. If he's knocked back a full Scotland call up I'd be in no hurry to invite him again...

Surprised he didn't get called up to England's under 21 squad too. Surely they know of Scotland's interest in him...you'd expect him to be called up to stave us away. 

Looking at England's senior team, it seems that centre midfield is their weaker area. Harry Winks, Loftus Cheek etc and Ox-Chamberlain previously. Maybe he thinks he's actually got a chance to get to the Euro's with England!

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

26 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Difficult to select him now after rejecting the chance to play. Don't need him tbh. Tons of midfield talent we'do be on our knees begging if he was a cb or striker though haha

Things can change though, players can get injured, some times short term, sometimes long term, sometimes careers can end unexpectedly (eg John Kennedy).  I think we need as big a pool as possible of quality players.  I would not want to see anyone who is good enough for us and eligible for us to escape the SFA net. If players turn down the offer, it's their loss but offers must  be made.

14 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Things can change though, players can get injured, some times short term, sometimes long term, sometimes careers can end unexpectedly (eg John Kennedy).  I think we need as big a pool as possible of quality players.  I would not want to see anyone who is good enough for us and eligible for us to escape the SFA net. If players turn down the offer, it's their loss but offers must  be made.

If I was John McGinn and I missed the chance to play for my country to someone who had already said he would rather play for England than Scotland I’d be absolutely raging. If that’s what’s happened of course. 

Just now, Paulo2576 said:

If I was John McGinn and I missed the chance to play for my country to someone who had already said he would rather play for England than Scotland I’d be absolutely raging. If that’s what’s happened of course.

Absolutely.  On the other hand if John McGinn was injured or McTominay turned out to be a better player then I'd be raging that the SFA hadn't tried to persuade McTominay to represent us. 

I love the amount of words already put in his mouth by folk on here, despite this potentially being just a made up story by the Sun.

"Difficult to select him now"
"He thinks we aren't good enough for him. Feck him."
"someone who had already said he would rather play for England than Scotland"

He's literally said he feels more Scottish than English.

Calm yourselves.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

I love the amount of words already put in his mouth by folk on here, despite this potentially being just a made up story by the Sun.

Calm yourselves.

One of those quotes, sorry, misquotes, are mine. You’ve neglected to add the bit where I said if it’s true. 

The story has come out, and not for the first time, and people are commenting on it. Nothing wrong with that, pretty standard for a message board surely.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Calm yourselves.

add "if he's knocked us back then he's had his chance" to that list

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is this old news or has he repated it?

The quote's from last year.

I think it's telling that as of now, no one else is running the story that he turned down Scotland. A couple of places have said "it's been reported that.." but that's just saying "well, the Sun said.."

This is non-news right now, so everyone adjust your knickers and get back to reality.

12 minutes ago, jamboman said:

This quote from the scotsman

“I have been down to Manchester to see him play, I’ve spoken to United coach Ricky Sbragia and the player has asked for more time,” said Gemmill.

I would imagine him running from scotland now.

Why would you imagine that now, given that the quote is from 3 months ago and is Gemmill talking about the u21s, not Mackay talking about the Senior side?

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Ormond said:

Has just been chosen as Mourinho’s player of the year at M United. 

Bit weird given he's played about 5 minutes since early march.
Ah wait. he played a cup game against brighton..

I mean, it's a positive. Just never sure with Mourinho whether he's really praising someone or just knocking others.

I think it is positive. However... I read an interesting article a while ago about how much the accusation that he never brings through youngsters gets under his skin. Bigging up McTominay helps to defend himself.

That's not to undermine his ability and achievements.