The Weemin - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

We were talking about the height issue the other night whilst watching the game. Is there any merit in reducing the height of the bar ? Do youths play with a full height bar ? I assume the height of the bar was originally decided based on certain statistics specifically related to men. Seems a bit unfair to expect women to defend goals that the vast majority will never be able to cover. I realise that both teams have the same disadvantage but it would make the goalies job more interesting and skilful if the bar was set a few inches lower.   

The feminists wouldn’t like that 

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

We were talking about the height issue the other night whilst watching the game. Is there any merit in reducing the height of the bar ? Do youths play with a full height bar ? I assume the height of the bar was originally decided based on certain statistics specifically related to men. Seems a bit unfair to expect women to defend goals that the vast majority will never be able to cover. I realise that both teams have the same disadvantage but it would make the goalies job more interesting and skilful if the bar was set a few inches lower.   

Got to be easier than stretching the weemin.

50 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I don't think you need to do that.   You don't need to be super tall to be a goalkeeper anyway.  You already have an advantage over outfield players in that you can stretch up and catch the ball whereas they have to jump and head it.   

The reason why so many male goalkeepers tend to be tall is because the other players tend to be tall.  Realistically, to be a goalkeeper you really only need to be as tall as the majority of the outfield players.

Maybe as Women's football becomes more and more popular - and offers the options of a career - taller girls will be attracted to it than other sports.  For example, Andy Goram is 5'11, Katherine Grainger, the Olympic rower, is an inch taller.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

The women goalies are better than they were and it is an interesting one.  Essentially the goals are 8 feet high and our keeper is 5 feet 5 so there is always the chance something is going to fly over her head.  However, the goals have been that height since 1865 when the average height of a male was coincidentally  5 feet 5. 

In the build up to World Cups I always geek out on highlights of previous tournaments and the bloke keepers were absolutely pish in the early days.  First few tournaments look almost like someone has taken their mate along for a game but even in the 66 final the German keeper (5ft9) wasn’t convincing and Bonetti flapped in 1970 (5tf9) against west Germany as examples.  Yashin was the daddy of keepers and a lot was down to his stature being 6 foot 2 and built like a tank when average male was 5 feet 7 in the 50s. 

I was also proper excited to watch Campos of Mexico who was 5 ft 6 and although he was a mint shot stopper he got caught out under high balls a couple of times in 94.  Sounds daft now but I stopped playing in goal at school/ lads team pretty soon after as was sick of getting lobbed/chipped in adult goals so when it was happening to Campos what chance did I have? 

In terms of the women keepers Hope Solo is probably the best ever and she’s 5ft8 and England’s number one is 5ft9 so, although training will be better, they’re defo developing taller players for the role.  However, it does leave a tricky dichotomy in do they want to leave the goals at existing levels and risk looking as pish as old skool bloke keepers when shots invariable lob over them or; reduce them proportionately to take into account most male keepers are now over 6 foot (Neuer/ De Gea/ Gordon all 6ft 4).  

It doesn’t look like a discussion that is going to disappear either as saw highlights of the U17 final on the BBC Sports app and both the Dutch and German keepers got caught out with crosses.  However, they saved 6 penalties (not shitey Dundee United penos either) between them and the German keeper pulled off an unbelievable save during 90 minutes (@ 1m45 from memory). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW4tq4WgflQ      

In terms of the Scotland keeper she is in much the same boat as pulled off a decent save at 2-1 or 2-2 v Poland where they rattled a bicycle kick that looked for all the world a goal but she managed to close her legs in time and not spill it out.  Same again against Brazil – saved a couple of one on ones, couple of reasonable saves but looked dodgy anything high or loopy. 

52 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The feminists wouldn’t like that 

Thats what Mr Tdyer said. I of course told him to shut the fook up and get on with the ironing.  

50 minutes ago, Marky said:

Got to be easier than stretching the weemin.

😁

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think you need to do that.   You don't need to be super tall to be a goalkeeper anyway.  You already have an advantage over outfield players in that you can stretch up and catch the ball whereas they have to jump and head it.   

The reason why so many male goalkeepers tend to be tall is because the other players tend to be tall.  Realistically, to be a goalkeeper you really only need to be as tall as the majority of the outfield players.

Maybe as Women's football becomes more and more popular - and offers the options of a career - taller girls will be attracted to it than other sports.  For example, Andy Goram is 5'11, Katherine Grainger, the Olympic rower, is an inch taller.

Hmmm, I an not convinced by that. I agree that when it comes to headers then goalies have a slight advantage , but even the smallest outfield player has the ability to lob the ball or strike high into the net, an area that no average woman will ever be able to stretch to. 

I think you are right however in as much as it will hopefully attract taller women to the game/position. 

19 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The women goalies are better than they were and it is an interesting one.  Essentially the goals are 8 feet high and our keeper is 5 feet 5 so there is always the chance something is going to fly over her head.  However, the goals have been that height since 1865 when the average height of a male was coincidentally  5 feet 5. 

In the build up to World Cups I always geek out on highlights of previous tournaments and the bloke keepers were absolutely pish in the early days.  First few tournaments look almost like someone has taken their mate along for a game but even in the 66 final the German keeper (5ft9) wasn’t convincing and Bonetti flapped in 1970 (5tf9) against west Germany as examples.  Yashin was the daddy of keepers and a lot was down to his stature being 6 foot 2 and built like a tank when average male was 5 feet 7 in the 50s. 

I was also proper excited to watch Campos of Mexico who was 5 ft 6 and although he was a mint shot stopper he got caught out under high balls a couple of times in 94.  Sounds daft now but I stopped playing in goal at school/ lads team pretty soon after as was sick of getting lobbed/chipped in adult goals so when it was happening to Campos what chance did I have? 

In terms of the women keepers Hope Solo is probably the best ever and she’s 5ft8 and England’s number one is 5ft9 so, although training will be better, they’re defo developing taller players for the role.  However, it does leave a tricky dichotomy in do they want to leave the goals at existing levels and risk looking as pish as old skool bloke keepers when shots invariable lob over them or; reduce them proportionately to take into account most male keepers are now over 6 foot (Neuer/ De Gea/ Gordon all 6ft 4).  

It doesn’t look like a discussion that is going to disappear either as saw highlights of the U17 final on the BBC Sports app and both the Dutch and German keepers got caught out with crosses.  However, they saved 6 penalties (not shitey Dundee United penos either) between them and the German keeper pulled off an unbelievable save during 90 minutes (@ 1m45 from memory). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW4tq4WgflQ      

In terms of the Scotland keeper she is in much the same boat as pulled off a decent save at 2-1 or 2-2 v Poland where they rattled a bicycle kick that looked for all the world a goal but she managed to close her legs in time and not spill it out.  Same again against Brazil – saved a couple of one on ones, couple of reasonable saves but looked dodgy anything high or loopy. 

That is really interesting. The fact the goals have not been increased in height despite such a marked increase in the average height of a male would suggest the bar  was originally too high. Though I suppose it could also mean Aaid’s point about simply needing outfield players and goalies to be of similar height is also correct.

Smaller goalies can make goals look more dramatic and exciting but at the same time I feel it really restricts the impact of the goalie on the game. 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Hmmm, I an not convinced by that. I agree that when it comes to headers then goalies have a slight advantage , but even the smallest outfield player has the ability to lob the ball or strike high into the net, an area that no average woman will ever be able to stretch to. 

There are plenty of women in Scotland - or of Scots descent - that are tall enough to play in goals and not be lobbed.  Just need to get enough of them playing football.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

There are plenty of women in Scotland - or of Scots descent - that are tall enough to play in goals and not be lobbed.  Just need to get enough of them playing football.

Theres no many in Paisley .....

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Theres no many in Paisley .....

A few years back I was waiting by the gate at Glasgow Airport to board a flight to London the day after a game at Hampden.  The women's team came off the inbound flight returning from wherever they'd been playing the day before.

Julie Fleeting was at the front and at the time she was playing in California.  She looked every inch the professional athlete, tall, tanned and healthy.  The rest of the team were all about six inches shorter with short bleached hair and with pasty and plooky complexions.    Thankfully things have moved on since then.

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

A few years back I was waiting by the gate at Glasgow Airport to board a flight to London the day after a game at Hampden.  The women's team came off the inbound flight returning from wherever they'd been playing the day before.

Julie Fleeting was at the front and at the time she was playing in California.  She looked every inch the professional athlete, tall, tanned and healthy.  The rest of the team were all about six inches shorter with short bleached hair and with pasty and plooky complexions.    Thankfully things have moved on since then.

Yeah, we soon put an end to that phenomenon. How dare we have a healthy athlete in a Scotland team 🙂

Thankfully the perception of women’s football being only for ladettes has changed. That can only encourage more women to take part. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah, we soon put an end to that phenomenon. How dare we have a healthy athlete in a Scotland team 🙂

Thankfully the perception of women’s football being only for ladettes has changed. That can only encourage more women to take part. 

Funnily enough, the results have improved as well

Rather than changing the size of the goals or the people in them, how about adopting a mindset that football is about scoring goals and as such something that helps attackers rather than keepers is a good thing?

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Rather than changing the size of the goals or the people in them, how about adopting a mindset that football is about scoring goals and as such something that helps attackers rather than keepers is a good thing?

Well yes that is true. The idea of enlarging the goals in the men's game has actually been debated in recent years, so I guess having the women playing in full size goals offers some insight into what that would be like...

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, bonzo said:

8-0 for the weemin tonight Kim little gets 5, remember when the men's team could beat Cyprus 8-0🤔

I do ya cheeky wee spug.   I also remember our next game on national TV (mind that?).   West Germany beat us 3-2 after a dodgy free kick (mibee) to knock us out (...only one qualifier then children), and they did feck all in that world cup.

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I do ya cheeky wee spug.   I also remember our next game on national TV (mind that?).   West Germany beat us 3-2 after a dodgy free kick (mibee) to knock us out (...only one qualifier then children), and they did feck all in that world cup.

I was only 3 but I remember my grandfaither telling us the mythical story of a Scotland player scoring 4 😂

• 2 months later...

Very professional performance tonight from the SWNT. Albania were absolutely abject but you can only beat the shite put in front of you. The difference having a stable team and a long term development plan bought into by everyone really is clear to see. If only the men could do that 

• 3 months later...

Good win for the Women’s team today looks to have won them The Pinatar Cup with a game to go ! 
The beeb haven’t over hyped it on their website only noting someone scored to win the game and the link to report and highlights doesn’t seem to have highlights. 
still, it’s no the She Believes Cup