The Weemin - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Only issue, the SFA were going on and on about 20k crowds beforehand, yet the turnstiles were a joke (we got into line at 18:50 and was 19:40 before we took our seats) and seemed to be a very lacking stewards outside to point people in right direction for getting in.

Aye the queues to get in the South stand especially were huge if you had a ticket, yet the SSC /cash gates were deserted, I waltzed straight in.

3 hours ago, Alan said:

Good atmosphere.  Loads of kids.  No steam boats.  No roasters. 

Yes, these aspects were noticeable. I know there are those who think there's 'nae atmosphere' unless you are stuck in a row with half a dozen blootered 20-stone blokes in Glengarries who smell strongly of pish and who fall asleep after kick off, waking occasionally to shout 'THAT'S SH**TE SCOTLAND!!!' before dropping off again, but I disagree.

This was an entirely pleasant experience. Only downside about womens internationals (other than last night's turnstile shambles which beggars belief) is that Flower of Scotland is sung a couple of octaves higher than would permit me to join in...

Good to see the FM, Judy Murray and Steve Clarke there.

24 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Yes, these aspects were noticeable. I know there are those who think there's 'nae atmosphere' unless you are stuck in a row with half a dozen blootered 20-stone blokes in Glengarries who smell strongly of pish and who fall asleep after kick off, waking occasionally to shout 'THAT'S SH**TE SCOTLAND!!!' before dropping off again, but I disagree.

That's as good a description of watching Scotland as I've seen in recent years 😂

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

This was an entirely pleasant experience. Only downside about womens internationals (other than last night's turnstile shambles which beggars belief) is that Flower of Scotland is sung a couple of octaves higher than would permit me to join in...

Good to see the FM, Judy Murray and Steve Clarke there.

100% agree. It was an enjoyable experience (again from the tickets/seating issue - surely they knew there was going to be between 15-20k). My girls (8 and 17) who both go to the guys games loved it, as did my nephews from Wales (6 & 9).  I felt like i could actually watch the game and enjoy the technique on display. A nice night helped.  The ball was played along the ground, showed patience, no punts from the back, ball was always in play because of the shorter more accurate passing.  All a marked difference from the guys as was the lack of steamers and swearing.  

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I enjoyed it.  Cuthbert is a real talent.

Didn't enjoy the 5:30am start to get back down to Preston for work -_-

The queues were a joke - both outside and inside the stadium. 

It always seems to be like that for crowds of around 20,000. I’m sure it was the same  for the men’s match against Israel.

They open the fewest number of turnstiles they think they can get away with. It’s easier to get in when it’s a full house and all turnstiles are open. 

Just got my SSC tickets for the Japan game in Rennes.   Gate 16, Tribune Vilaine, Stair B.

The Vilaine stand looks to be like the south side furthest from the main road.   The B section on that side appears to be the south-east corner.

19 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It always seems to be like that for crowds of around 20,000. I’m sure it was the same  for the men’s match against Israel.

They open the fewest number of turnstiles they think they can get away with. It’s easier to get in when it’s a full house and all turnstiles are open. 

Fair point. About 15 years ago, cup semi for Caley v Dunfermline or Dundee (cannae remember which one) had about 15k but it's the longest I every took to get into or away from Hampden.

12 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Just got my SSC tickets for the Japan game in Rennes.   Gate 16, Tribune Vilaine, Stair B.

The Vilaine stand looks to be like the south side furthest from the main road.   The B section on that side appears to be the south-east corner.

Going over for that one too. No idea where we're sitting though.

Don’t think anyone has posted the highlights. Not on this thread anyway. Cuthbert’s goal is a stoater. 

Also watch the programme on BBC last night about the qualifying campaign. You’ve got to be impressed by their fighting spirit. Particularly away to Poland.

Have to say though, apart from the penalty save against Poland, the goalie looked honkin. Could be the weak link. 

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Also watch the programme on BBC last night about the qualifying campaign. You’ve got to be impressed by their fighting spirit. Particularly away to Poland.

Yes a good watch.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005k59

Tend to agree with the goalie concerns, although having watched quite a few women's games now it's a widespread problem. I guess it's the position where women being smaller in stature has the biggest impact.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Yes a good watch.....

Tend to agree with the goalie concerns, although having watched quite a few women's games now it's a widespread problem. I guess it's the position where women being smaller in stature has the biggest impact.

Agreed as most of the fuck ups tend to be high balls. 

Can’t remember what game it was but there was one in particular where she just appeared to let the ball sail over her head.

As you say though, it’s a common theme and probably the only remaining part of the women’s game that still looks a bit amateurish/embarrassing.

Enjoy Rennes though. Good wee city. Living in Jersey it’s very close and have spent a fair bit of time there. Went to a Rennes v Toulouse game a few years ago. It a a good wee stadium too although like Hampden it isn’t central and a bit of a pain to get away from after the game. 

Edited by Marky

I'm more than happy to support the women's game but generally speaking in the last couple of seasons haven't enjoyed being patronised by the sensationalist media coverage surrounding it for example how the BBC choose to report on  the English Women's game. Add to that the constant negative poisonous bile spouted by the general public moaning about it getting air time.

I'm glad to see that when it comes to our Women's lot the press approach is much more objective and the Scottish supporters have come in their throngs to celebrate and support the fantastic achievement of qualification and promising recent results by Shelley Kerr's team with no derogatory output. Really refreshing to see and glad we can set a good example hopefully to be continued in future years.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=16943

Found this article incredibly informative and gives an unbiased view of the Scotland squad from guys who clearly know the woman’s game. 

In short they give us a good chance of going through. They think 3 points and a even goal difference could be enough, I think 4 points would almost guarantee it. 

They rate Kim Little massively, suggesting she’d get in the USA team. Also rate our centre backs, Caroline Weir and Erin Cuthbert. 

I tend to agree, thought Weir was brilliant against Jamaica and of course Cuthbert too. 

Hope the supporters of the men’s team get behind them and make the effort to watch the games. Scotland play some really really nice football, majority of the time on the deck involving lots of neat play between players like Little, Cuthbert and Weir. And these players LOVE playing for Scotland. 

23 hours ago, Marky said:

Enjoy Rennes though. Good wee city. Living in Jersey it’s very close and have spent a fair bit of time there. Went to a Rennes v Toulouse game a few years ago. It a a good wee stadium too although like Hampden it isn’t central and a bit of a pain to get away from after the game. 

Cheers, looking forward to it.  Will be an unorthodox TA trip travelling with the wife and daughters though!

11 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Found this article incredibly informative and gives an unbiased view of the Scotland squad from guys who clearly know the woman’s game. 

In short they give us a good chance of going through. They think 3 points and a even goal difference could be enough, I think 4 points would almost guarantee it. 

They rate Kim Little massively, suggesting she’d get in the USA team. Also rate our centre backs, Caroline Weir and Erin Cuthbert. 

I tend to agree, thought Weir was brilliant against Jamaica and of course Cuthbert too. 

Hope the supporters of the men’s team get behind them and make the effort to watch the games. Scotland play some really really nice football, majority of the time on the deck involving lots of neat play between players like Little, Cuthbert and Weir. And these players LOVE playing for Scotland. 

To go through with three points Argentina would need to beat England or Japan, so I think we can forget that.

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

To go through with three points Argentina would need to beat England or Japan, so I think we can forget that.

4 out of 6 3rd placed teams go through too.

One win could be enough depending how the other groups shape up. Obviously if we start off being horsed by England like in 2017 it would be unlikely that 3 points would be enough given the goal difference.

Edited by Toepoke

12 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Decent summary that.

Noticed a slightly under strength England lost to New Zealand yesterday. Gives us some hope, although the bookies still have Scotland at 15-1 for that game!

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

4 out of 6 3rd placed teams go through too.

One win could be enough depending how the other groups shape up. Obviously if we start off being horsed by England like in 2017 it would be unlikely that 3 points would do.

Didn't know that, all this second bottom teams getting through is new to me.Hate 24 team international tournaments almost as much as I hate calling a competition the "champions league" where a team can come within 90 minutes of winning despite not being champions for 60 years in their own country.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:59 AM, Toepoke said:

Yes a good watch.....

On 6/1/2019 at 12:11 PM, Marky said:

Agreed as most of the fuck ups tend to be high balls. 

Can’t remember what game it was but there was one in particular where she just appeared to let the ball sail over her head.

As you say though, it’s a common theme and probably the only remaining part of the women’s game that still looks a bit amateurish/embarrassing.

We were talking about the height issue the other night whilst watching the game. Is there any merit in reducing the height of the bar ? Do youths play with a full height bar ? I assume the height of the bar was originally decided based on certain statistics specifically related to men. Seems a bit unfair to expect women to defend goals that the vast majority will never be able to cover. I realise that both teams have the same disadvantage but it would make the goalies job more interesting and skilful if the bar was set a few inches lower.