The Weemin - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

5 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im talking about his general attitude / behaviour. An example being the Spain game. 

The vast majority of top players get in the faces of officials and try and pressure them. Its not a good look and something should be done about it however in the meantime im glad he does it. McGinn also does it as do a number of our other players.

The ability to do the dark side of the game has contributed to our upturn in form. Hickey rolling back onto the pitch, Hickey going down injured and then getting 2 or 3 mins treatment when he had already been told that he was getting subbed. All these things are neccesary in the elite level of the game nowadays and its so pleasing to see our new bread of players understand this.

Getting in the refs face is shite no matter what top teams etc do. No need for it and as other have said football should take the rugby approach to talking to officials.

Yes the other parts of the game are unfortunately what happens and how people play the clock etc. The coming back on the pitch when down injured should be a booking. Harry Kane literally crawled back onto the pitch in an England game the other week, fucking nonsense.

They could cut out a load of the crap by stopping the clock and playing 90 or going like the world cup and adding the time on properly. 

It's still shite to watch even if it is going for your team.

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

Robertson looked like a greetin faced 14 year old. Embarrassing for a man his age. Really was. 

Correct he's a wank at times. Quite enjoyed the linesman's reaction 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Getting in the refs face is shite no matter what top teams etc do. No need for it and as other have said football should take the rugby approach to talking to officials.

Yes the other parts of the game are unfortunately what happens and how people play the clock etc. The coming back on the pitch when down injured should be a booking. Harry Kane literally crawled back onto the pitch in an England game the other week, fucking nonsense.

They could cut out a load of the crap by stopping the clock and playing 90 or going like the world cup and adding the time on properly. 

It's still shite to watch even if it is going for your team.

Correct he's a wank at times. Quite enjoyed the linesman's reaction 

We've got a crossed line here 🥸

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

A real masterclass from Caroline Weir v Costa Rica there. 

And what a prospect 17 year old Emma Watson is!

Seems like we can produce the occasional super talented player e.g. Fleeting, Little, Weir, Cuthbert and now hopefully Watson.

But not produce the depth needed to get through rounds or even qualify for this World Cup. 

Should really have seen that depth come through recently, building on recent World Cup and Euro qualifications AND the recent availability to make half decent money as a professional in the UK. 

Seems like a different problem to the men’s national team. 

Although they’ve definitely underachieved based on the players we’ve had. Maybe this will change but I’m not convinced after seeing various poor youth national team results. 

Them not getting to the Euros in England as top seed with two teams qualifying still resonates as a massive wasted opportunity- that England won it so the media remained fully engaged probably still helped maintain interest at grassroots.

Hopefully the loss against ROI has booted them up the arse because something hasn't been right since the fallout from Argentina.

U17s got promoted to the A league recently so hopefully some talent coming through too.  Suppose its a case of how many make, or want to, make pro against those happy semi-pro/ amateur staying local as the difference between the two is fairly apparent in the current crop.

Will the emergence of Celtic and Rangers as rivals to Glasgow City help the womens team? I assume its similar to the mens game and most young players have their eyes on a move to England?

Would it not make sense for the Women's team to make somewhere like St Johnstone's home ground their home?

or even Livi? start to fill these places before playing at hampden. 

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Will the emergence of Celtic and Rangers as rivals to Glasgow City help the womens team? I assume its similar to the mens game and most young players have their eyes on a move to England?

Would it not make sense for the Women's team to make somewhere like St Johnstone's home ground their home?

Average wage is about £40-50k a year with maximum being £250k from memory.  England captain gets £200k.

Must be a tricky decision in their teens still especially if they're bright academically or vocationally which way to go.  Sure I read they've only just secured maternity leave too but even so that's another factor.

There seems to be a plan in place though with good grassroots getting setup piggybacking on existing lads setup.  Genuinely be interesting to see how our system stacks up against our peers outside of the typical big hitters because we seemed ahead of the curve previously and hopefully looking to regain an advantage.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Since the SFA now own Hampden they probably won’t want to share the gate money with a club if they can help it (even the meagre takings most women’s games will generate). 

It would actually probably cost them money to stage the games elsewhere depending on the crowd and ticket prices. 

30 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Since the SFA now own Hampden they probably won’t want to share the gate money with a club if they can help it (even the meagre takings most women’s games will generate). 

It would actually probably cost them money to stage the games elsewhere depending on the crowd and ticket prices. 

And there we have the realistic perspective versus the 'treat the women's game equally so play at Hampden' rhetoric.

I'm sure the players like playing at the major facilities and gives young girls watching something to aspire to by playing at the National Stadium. So I'm for it.

The same logic re: Hampden ownership applies to the men's team. The days of friendlies occasionally being farmed out to Pittodrie or Easter Road are gone. The only exception if Hampden is in use for concerts etc. It really is quite a shrewd long term investment by the SFA.

8 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

And there we have the realistic perspective versus the 'treat the women's game equally so play at Hampden' rhetoric.

I'm sure the players like playing at the major facilities and gives young girls watching something to aspire to by playing at the National Stadium. So I'm for it.

The same logic re: Hampden ownership applies to the men's team. The days of friendlies occasionally being farmed out to Pittodrie or Easter Road are gone. The only exception if Hampden is in use for concerts etc. It really is quite a shrewd long term investment by the SFA.

Yeah I’m sure if you asked our women players the majority of them would rather play at Hampden than a full(ish) smaller ground.

It would make more sense to play elsewhere for a better atmosphere but that’s about it. Would the atmosphere generated in Perth or Livingston etc.  be enough to give our women an advantage?

The pitch at Hampden could be doing with a break as well I suppose but that’s not the women’s team's fault.  

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I’m sure if you asked our women players the majority of them would rather play at Hampden than a full(ish) smaller ground.

It would make more sense to play elsewhere for a better atmosphere but that’s about it. Would the atmosphere generated in Perth or Livingston etc.  be enough to give our women an advantage?

The pitch at Hampden could be doing with a break as well I suppose but that’s not the women’s team's fault.  

Having been to a couple of women's games now I can confirm that the atmosphere would be a non event in any type of ground.

It's far more still in the stages of 'supportive' rather than passionate or vigorous. Generally dead silent with the odd short-lived chant or encouraging applause. Falls into the family day out category.

Not that it isn't refreshing from the usual drunken clamour at men's games. But it isn't my preference.

2 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Aye . Playing in Perth and Livingston would really make the Women feel legitimate, rather than playing at the National Stadium. Not

The women’s team Playing at Hampden is a very recent thing. They have played in Paisley as recently as 2021. 

I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t play at Hampden but it’s not something they have traditionally done. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Would the atmosphere generated in Perth or Livingston etc.  be enough to give our women an advantage?

Well we actually qualified for tournaments playing at smaller grounds so it can't have done any harm.

52 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Absolutely. For the record I am totally in favour of the girls sharing the facilities at Hampden. 

Yeah there’s probably pros and cons either way but why spend millions on a stadium and not use it? 

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Great video showing how good a game Caroline Weir had v Costa Rica. Genuinely one of the best players in the world at the moment...

Brilliant. 

Not sure how we can give her more exposure so everyone in Scotland knows how good she is. 

Maybe we could put Real Madrid F games on council tele? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 9:29 PM, Ally Bongo said:

The lassie Davidson looks a terrific player and is only 21 - scored a couple of crackers 

Scores the winner against Rangers as the game is about to finish and wins the league for Glasgow City

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Scores the winner against Rangers as the game is about to finish and wins the league for Glasgow City

Watched a bit of that game and thought the football was pretty decent. The piece about the spwl 2 champions Montrose showed how little depth there is in the women's game. 

Exactly the same as our men's game really.