The Weemin - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

53 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Really annoyed me this story.

Playing for Scotland should be a privilege not a money grabbing exercise.

As far as i can tell, the women are now treated equally in all aspects. There maybe were issues in past (Julie Fleeting documentary showed how little support they got back in 90s/2000s) but not now. How far do you go back? 

Think your right about whose instigating this, in my opinion she isnt exactly in a position to be demanding payouts after some of her team's failures in recent years. If successful this will take money out of game which we need to help improve standard of both mens and womens game.

I have been to some Scotland womens games with young family recently but my opinion of some people in this team has changed and certainly dont see them as role models so wont be back.

They've been varying degrees of embarrassing since the shenanigans following 3-3 with Argentina.

I'm not fussed about going back either and they maybe need to reflect internally why they're 'only' getting 8-9k crowds. 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:42 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

They've been varying degrees of embarrassing since the shenanigans following 3-3 with Argentina.

I'm not fussed about going back either and they maybe need to reflect internally why they're 'only' getting 8-9k crowds. 

+1.  Personally I lost a lot of interest when they all seemed absolutely desperate to go to the Olympics, knowing full well the stance of the SFA and most of the support on this issue.  I guess how strongly you feel about that, if at all, will partly depend upon how seriously you take the threat of our losing our independent status within FIFA.  My own view, and hopefully I'm wrong, is that the threat is a very real one, and I just can't get enthused over these players for that reason, in addition to the points other people have rightly made.

In fact, there's a thought girls, if you want to be the same as the guys how about you lead the way?  No playing under another flag, just like the men don't.  Easy bit of equality for you, right there. There'd be a lot more sympathy from me if that were to be announced.

Edited by Andy C
Spelling

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live near San Pedro del Pinatar, and went to both the Philippines and Wales games. I think it was basically a second string against the Philippines (don’t claim to know much about Women’s football), particularly in the first half, and to be honest it was a poor game between two very ordinary teams. Stronger team for the Wales game, Scotland played much better and should have won it.

Nice facility the Pinatar Arena, Scotland U20s have games against Sweden and Wales there later this month.

Friendlies announced v Australia at AFC Wimbledon on Easter Friday and Costa Rica at Hampden the following Tuesday.

I've dabbled in one or two of the women's games, but in truth the atmosphere really doesn't do it for me. However probably I'll turn up to the Friday game being relatively local for me.

On 3/10/2023 at 10:38 AM, N4Footsoldier said:

Friendlies announced v Australia at AFC Wimbledon on Easter Friday and Costa Rica at Hampden the following Tuesday.

I've dabbled in one or two of the women's games, but in truth the atmosphere really doesn't do it for me. However probably I'll turn up to the Friday game being relatively local for me.

I've bought a ticket for that game at Wimbledon, as that's a ground I've been looking for an excuse to go to. I hadn't realised the reason it was a Friday lunchtime was due to it being Good Friday though; I'm supposed to be at another game that day (15:00 kick-off), so I'm not 100% sure what I'll do yet.

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I've bought a ticket for that game at Wimbledon, as that's a ground I've been looking for an excuse to go to. I hadn't realised the reason it was a Friday lunchtime was due to it being Good Friday though; I'm supposed to be at another game that day (15:00 kick-off), so I'm not 100% sure what I'll do yet.

Where do you get the tickets? Not on SFA website as Australia being the home side. 

As i was switching the TV off last night i caught a bit of the highlights of Glasgow City against Glasgow Women

The lassie Davidson looks a terrific player and is only 21 - scored a couple of crackers 

The wee Polish bird Kinga is good too and has great chebs under wraps

42 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Where do you get the tickets? Not on SFA website as Australia being the home side. 

They're being sold through AFC Wimbledon [link]; £12 an adult. There's a section earmarked for Scotland supporters (along with one for Australian supporters and one for neutrals).

12 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

They're being sold through AFC Wimbledon [link]; £12 an adult. There's a section earmarked for Scotland supporters (along with one for Australian supporters and one for neutrals).

I can take your ticket off you if you are going to your other game instead then. No rush to decide, I'm sure it won't sell out. DM me

• 3 weeks later...

Is it really necessary to use hampden for their friendly next month?

Hardly any tickets sold despite being the same price as a Highland League match. 

Why not try and fill smaller grounds first and then build from there🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Is it really necessary to use hampden for their friendly next month?

Hardly any tickets sold despite being the same price as a Highland League match. 

Why not try and fill smaller grounds first and then build from there🤷‍♂️

How dare you make a sensible suggestion. You do know you are in danger of being cancelled. ☺️☺️☺️

Very well deserved result. Australia looked technically superior especially at the start but the weemin got physical and unsettled them. After that were the better team for large periods. Rode our luck early in the second half with some of their chances and the ball falling in our favour in and around the box, but apart from that only really restricted Australia to long range speculative efforts. Super performance, and a fantastic goal too.

For me Emma Watson looked the best player on the park throughout the first half, coming off at about the 55min mark. Very impressive for such a young player having only recently coming into the squad. One to watch.

Attendance announced as 2,136. Probably double what I was expecting. I suppose the Aussies didn't have far to travel from Clapham for the game.

Edited by N4Footsoldier
extra info