The Weemin - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Agreed.  To ban them would be petty, parochial and small minded.  Gains us nothing and makes us look like dicks in my view.

Jesus man. This is meant to be a board for Scotland fans and although you don’t buy it, I think this is a step towards men’s team GB……. the creep effect …… and ultimately no Scotland team. Ironically, if you are a unionist Scotland fan, the only way the national team survives is if there’s independence.

look guys I just fundamentally disagree with some of the other views here. It doesn’t make me a unionist, which has no relevance to football anyway.

hypothetical question….   Men’s team gb selects Robertson, tierney, and gilmour for a squad and they all go.  Who wants them banned sine die for Scotland?

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

look guys I just fundamentally disagree with some of the other views here. It doesn’t make me a unionist, which has no relevance to football anyway.

hypothetical question….   Men’s team gb selects Robertson, tierney, and gilmour for a squad and they all go.  Who wants them banned sine die for Scotland?

Nobody wants to see good players banned but it has happened before, even to legends like Billy Bremner, because the reputation of the national team must come first. What will other nations think if they see players playing for Scotland in one competition and then for Great Britain in another? Do we really think this will be tolerated in the long term?

Just now, Arbroath1320 said:

Nobody wants to see good players banned but it has happened before, even to legends like Billy Bremner, because the reputation of the national team must come first. What will other nations think if they see players playing for Scotland in one competition and then for Great Britain in another? Do we really think this will be tolerated in the long term?

Yeah, I do.  Nobody bothered when Jim Baxter and Dennis law were playing for rest of the world selects.  Team gb at the olympics is similar one off games.  Nobody is going to turn round and say you can’t compete as Scotland.  In fact, the last time this was a big issue fifa gave assurances that it would not affect status if there was a men’s team gb in the olympics.

on a side note in 1975 with the Copenhagen 5, bremner was past his best and three others fringe players.  If Kenny dalglish  had been out I doubt he would have been banned forever.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Yeah, I do.  Nobody bothered when Jim Baxter and Dennis law were playing for rest of the world selects.  Team gb at the olympics is similar one off games.  Nobody is going to turn round and say you can’t compete as Scotland.  In fact, the last time this was a big issue fifa gave assurances that it would not affect status if there was a men’s team gb in the olympics.

on a side note in 1975 with the Copenhagen 5, bremner was past his best and three others fringe players.  If Kenny dalglish  had been out I doubt he would have been banned forever.

No comparison between playing for a rest of the world select,and playing for a United Kingdom team.     The sooner fifa get the four home nations playing as one,the happier they will be.Certain fifa officials have pushed for that in the past.If we were to believe assurances given by fifa,then God help us.A very slippery slope to go down.If any player chose to play for a United Kingdom team,knowing where it could lead us to,then yeah i wouldn't want them to play for us again.I support Scotland and would hope the players would be as commited as i am to Scotland and Scotland alone.

27 minutes ago, thesaint said:

No comparison between playing for a rest of the world select,and playing for a United Kingdom team.     The sooner fifa get the four home nations playing as one,the happier they will be.Certain fifa officials have pushed for that in the past.If we were to believe assurances given by fifa,then God help us.A very slippery slope to go down.If any player chose to play for a United Kingdom team,knowing where it could lead us to,then yeah i wouldn't want them to play for us again.I support Scotland and would hope the players would be as commited as i am to Scotland and Scotland alone.

100%

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

The sooner fifa get the four home nations playing as one,the happier they will be.Certain fifa officials have pushed for that in the past. 

I'm no supporter of the idea of Team GeeBee in football, but I honestly believe the chances of that ever happening against the wishes of the SFA, FA, IFA and FAW are close to zero per cent.

Would mean our domestic leagues merging as well. FIFA and UEFA are never going to make demands like that.

Edited by Toepoke

41 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Disagree.  I have no issue with a any of our men or women playing for team gb.

By all means wave the Union Jack, then (though there is a very clear St George's Cross running through the existence, planning, organisation, intent and composition of this 'TEAMGEEBEE') but don't pretend not to understand any of the reasons why it's a bad idea for Scotland.

We were promised that the 2012 Teams would be a one-off. The 2020 women's TEAMGEEBEE was floated by the FA because it would be great preparation for England given that they host Euro 2022. Of course they have to be inclusive and throw jerseys to a couple of Jocks and a Taff. But this is an England project.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Am I the only person that doesn't regard the U.K or Great Britain as countries, doubt if anyone in England does or any governing football body for that matter.

Maybe there should be an Eastern European side or  Scandinavian team.

the olympics do.

3 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

By all means wave the Union Jack, then (though there is a very clear St George's Cross running through the existence, planning, organisation, intent and composition of this 'TEAMGEEBEE') but don't pretend not to understand any of the reasons why it's a bad idea for Scotland.

We were promised that the 2012 Teams would be a one-off. The 2020 women's TEAMGEEBEE was floated by the FA because it would be great preparation for England given that they host Euro 2022. Of course they have to be inclusive and throw jerseys to a couple of Jocks and a Taff. But this is an England project.

I have no interest in supporting team gb, but defend the rights of the players to play if they want. We are all British by definition if we are Scottish.

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Am I the only person that doesn't regard the U.K or Great Britain as countries, doubt if anyone in England does or any governing football body for that matter.

Maybe there should be an Eastern European side or  Scandinavian team.

FIFA do as the Olympic football tournament is run by them and therein lies the problem. If it were an unofficial or unsanctioned competition you could write it off but this is the thin end of the wedge. 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Looks like England are heading out

Oh, that's really sad.  😀

Shame it had to be a Jock that missed that penalty as well; she's probably lucky women's football isn't as popular or she could expect a Rashfording.

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Oh, that's really sad.  😀

Shame it had to be a Jock that missed that penalty as well; she's probably lucky women's football isn't as popular or she could expect a Rashfording.

Team England and token jocks out

I don;t think football should be in the Olympics anyway, Football gets enough coverage as it is

40 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I don;t think football should be in the Olympics anyway, Football gets enough coverage as it is

Football shouldn't be in the Olympics, and Team GB definitely shouldn't be in the Olympics.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Team GB shouldn't be in the Olympics.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

There's a lot of rubbish in the Olympics these days but your right there's no need for football to be there. Football already has it's top prize and it's far bigger than an Olympic medal could ever be. Same could be said for Golf and Tennis.

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

There's a lot of rubbish in the Olympics these days but your right there's no need for football to be there. Football already has it's top prize and it's far bigger than an Olympic medal could ever be. Same could be said for Golf and Tennis.

I agree regarding golf and tennis. They shouldn't be there