The Weemin - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

• 3 months later...

Kirkie that is your choice but some people do feel Scottish and British. If they are still willing to give their all for us then who else they play for doesn't matter. We don't have independence yet. 

6 hours ago, stitch said:

Kirkie that is your choice but some people do feel Scottish and British. If they are still willing to give their all for us then who else they play for doesn't matter. We don't have independence yet. 

In men's or women's football playing for Scotland should be the ultimate, the highest honour. TEAMGEEBEE can chuff right off.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Hampden is the new home for the SWNT. 

The press release talks about their ambitions to grow the game and somehow link this decision to making that happen. 

Given the apathy at times towards the men’s team playing at half full Hampden, I’d have thought that there was potentially more value in moving the women’s games round the country to try and grow the game and reach all areas of the country, rather than simply sitting it in Glasgow.  Maybe have the biggest group game at Hampden and then any send-off type matches before a tourney like they did when they played Jamaica before a previous major tourney.

If it’s about giving equality then that’s fair enough but for if it’s about growing the game then it’s maybe not the best decision. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

I think there's a pride about playing at Hampden and it may bring bigger crowds. In any case, there's going to be socially distancing for a while so if they pull in 10k, better Hampden than somewhere smaller. The two announcements- manager and stadium - were nicely timed to coincide with TEAMGEEBEE playing at the Olympics, a reminder of which women's national team actually matters. What a pity a few days before the SFA had broken their silence on that by congratulating Kim Little for her token TEAMGEEBEE co-captaincy.

49 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

why shouldn’t they be picked again for Scotland? Genuine question…

They’ve put their own personal interests ahead of the wishes of the SFA and als the best long term interests of the Scottish National team. 

33 minutes ago, aaid said:

They’ve put their own personal interests ahead of the wishes of the SFA and als the best long term interests of the Scottish National team. 

How so?  It’s of neutral interest to the SFA and long term interests of the Scotland team.

I’m not pretending to be thick, I am aware of the perceived threat to our status as an independent team by some.  Just don’t see it myself and disagree with folk here.  I’m happy for our players to play for whoever the are eligible for.

49 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Would we have the same problem playing a European team?  I personally don’t care.  The reality is that these players are all Scottish, British and European, so it’s fair game to represent any of them.

This.

I don't agree with GB anything, I think we should be an independent country with everything that entails, including sports teams. 

However, at the last time of asking my view was the minority one, so we are where we are.  There are definite cons in this instance but one of the pros is that it gives these girls experience of playing tournament football, something, hopefully, they can pass onto their Scotland teammates should they qualify again soon.

Banning these lassies - two of our best players in the women's game - from representing Scotland again really would be cutting our noses off to spite our face.

11 minutes ago, scotlad said:

This.

I don't agree with GB anything, I think we should be an independent country with everything that entails, including sports teams. 

However, at the last time of asking my view was the minority one, so we are where we are.  There are definite cons in this instance but one of the pros is that it gives these girls experience of playing tournament football, something, hopefully, they can pass onto their Scotland teammates should they qualify again soon.

Banning these lassies - two of our best players in the women's game - from representing Scotland again really would be cutting our noses off to spite our face.

Agreed.  To ban them would be petty, parochial and small minded.  Gains us nothing and makes us look like dicks in my view.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Agreed.  To ban them would be petty, parochial and small minded.  Gains us nothing and makes us look like dicks in my view.

You're the one calling people names, "petty, parochial, small minded dicks".   Take your Union Flag to Kim Little's next Scotland game as give her a hip, hip hoorah.