The Weemin - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

I actually watched the highlights of the Albania game the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yRPyOc5DME

I was pleasantly surprised. I'll admit I've been pretty dismissive of women's football over the years, not like publicly denouncing it as shite, but just personally, I've not watched it because what I'd seen of it 5-10 years ago was just very poor quality. It looks like things have happily moved one. Gone are the days where all the goals were caused by the worst keepers the world has ever seen or just 6 yard box scrambles. These ladies can actually play and strike a ball a lot better than I do.

Admittedly the opening goal IS the worst goalkeeping you'll ever see, but the 2nd sums up how far the quality seems to have improved. 35 yarder cracked off the bar, buried on the volley from the edge of the area. That's great technique at any level, very easy to get wrong and send it into the rafters, especially with the pouring rain. And Claire Emslie's left footed curler to the top corner.. love the look on their keepers face after that!

8 hours ago, andyD said:

I actually watched the highlights of the Albania game the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yRPyOc5DME

I was pleasantly surprised. I'll admit I've been pretty dismissive of women's football over the years, not like publicly denouncing it as shite, but just personally, I've not watched it because what I'd seen of it 5-10 years ago was just very poor quality. It looks like things have happily moved one. Gone are the days where all the goals were caused by the worst keepers the world has ever seen or just 6 yard box scrambles. These ladies can actually play and strike a ball a lot better than I do.

Admittedly the opening goal IS the worst goalkeeping you'll ever see, but the 2nd sums up how far the quality seems to have improved. 35 yarder cracked off the bar, buried on the volley from the edge of the area. That's great technique at any level, very easy to get wrong and send it into the rafters, especially with the pouring rain. And Claire Emslie's left footed curler to the top corner.. love the look on their keepers face after that!

the ball was floated in the second goal and only 'cracked' off the bar as the appalling keeper didn't catch it

Edited by Bino's

28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't understand why any one would bother to be so negative about women's football. Women can't compete with men but it is the same with nearly all sports.

what can you say

it's utter dross to watch

I've no idea why it gets so much media coverage

it's not like anyone goes to the games

there's no audience for it

15 minutes ago, Bino's said:

what can you say

it's utter dross to watch

I've no idea why it gets so much media coverage

it's not like anyone goes to the games

there's no audience for it

Agreed 100%. And it’s forever thrown in your face through the official Scotland/SFA apps meaning you can’t avoid it. You can try unfollowing, but then you just miss the relevant stuff when it comes to the men’s team. 

If we had qualified for France last year and were sitting in the play-offs for Russia the woman’s game wouldn’t even register. 

I see sexism is alive and well on the TAMB. 

The Scottish women are doing pretty well (compared to the men anyway) and deserve a bit of recognition and publicity for it. 

If you don’t like it on your Facebook/Twitter feed then just scroll on and ignore it. 

The women’s game may not be as good as the men’s game but the SFA are obliged to promote all of their teams. I don’t hear anyone moaning about the male unders teams getting a lot of coverage.  

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I see sexism is alive and well on the TAMB. 

The Scottish women are doing pretty well (compared to the men anyway) and deserve a bit of recognition and publicity for it. 

If you don’t like it on your Facebook/Twitter feed then just scroll on and ignore it. 

The women’s game may not be as good as the men’s game but the SFA are obliged to promote all of their teams. I don’t hear anyone moaning about the male unders teams getting a lot of coverage.  

That’s because the men’s underage team is relevant to the future of the senior side. There has always been a schoolboy/U21 etc side so that comparison is nonsense - the woman’s thing is a new ‘phenomenon’ that is only being brought to the public eye due to the men’s side being poor in the last 20 years. The minute the men qualify for something, no-one will care about the women. The fact it was free to attend their match the other night tells you everything.

Nothing sexist at all about saying woman’s fitba is crap. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

That’s because the men’s underage team is relevant to the future of the senior side. There has always been a schoolboy/U21 etc side so that comparison is nonsense - the woman’s thing is a new ‘phenomenon’ that is only being brought to the public eye due to the men’s side being poor in the last 20 years. The minute the men qualify for something, no-one will care about the women. The fact it was free to attend their match the other night tells you everything.

Nothing sexist at all about saying woman’s fitba is crap. 

You’re argument is nonsense mate. You’re living in the past and you’ve clearly got a problem with women. Schoolboy football is crap to watch compared to the men’s game. I’d rather watch women than a bunch of 15 year old boys. The women’s game in this country will never advance whilst there’s idiots like you stomping all over it.

It’s not sexist to say women’s football is crap (if you’ve actually bothered watching it and don’t like it). Assuming it’s crap because it’s women is sexist. I’m not suggesting you have never been to a women’s game or watched a women’s game on the telly but plenty of knuckle draggers who decry the women’s game won’t have. 

Plenty of people enjoy watching crap football. Do you think the standard of league one or two or junior football in this country is far better than women’s international football? 

It is sexist to suggest that the women’s team shouldn’t be promoted on social media because it’s not as good as men’s football. 

That’s like saying Scottish football shouldn’t be mentioned by the BBC or Sky on social media because it’s crap compared to English football.

Nobody is forcing you to read posts about the women’s game or to watch it. Just scroll on past.

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’re argument is nonsense mate. You’re living in the past and you’ve clearly got a problem with women. Schoolboy football is crap to watch compared to the men’s game. I’d rather watch women than a bunch of 15 year old boys. The women’s game in this country will never advance whilst there’s idiots like you stomping all over it.

It’s not sexist to say women’s football is crap (if you’ve actually bothered watching it and don’t like it). Assuming it’s crap because it’s women is sexist. I’m not suggesting you have never been to a women’s game or watched a women’s game on the telly but plenty of knuckle draggers who decry the women’s game won’t have. 

Plenty of people enjoy watching crap football. Do you think the standard of league one or two or junior football in this country is far better than women’s international football? 

It is sexist to suggest that the women’s team shouldn’t be promoted on social media because it’s not as good as men’s football. 

That’s like saying Scottish football shouldn’t be mentioned by the BBC or Sky on social media because it’s crap compared to English football.

Nobody is forcing you to read posts about the women’s game or to watch it. Just scroll on past.

Ok 👍🏼

22 minutes ago, Bino's said:

it is sh*te to watch afraid

Maybe so but you don’t have to watch it.

Most people outside of Scotland (and quite a lot of people here as well) think that Scottish football is shite to watch. Should we stop trying to promote and improve the game because of that?

Edited by Texas Pete

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

All I'll say is I've never seen my girls so excited after a game. Admittedly they usually get taken to watch Kilmarnock, but I think it does hold more interest for them as they can imagine themselves participating in it one day.

I think most folk would rather watch anything these days than Killie. :lol:

Although your last two results have been decent to be fair. 

The women’s game is improving all the time and promoting it will help get girls involved and possibly unearth real talent that we would never have known about. 

Apparently the SFA shouldn’t be posting about women’s football on Facebook or emailing us about it though because ‘it’s dross’.