Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 95 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Is the bigger picture folk keep wanting is a total clear out / re-build from grass roots

short term gains/ ie qualifying for a tournament ( we know how that ends ) has usually been our downfall ; re “band aid” appointment 

You appear to be suggesting that qualifying for Euro 2020 would be a bad thing.

It would not. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

True but it does not stop people posting up polls about who they want for the job which is totally irrelevant. As sure as eggs are eggs the SFA are bound to select somebody the fans don't want.

Why? As far as I remember that has only really happened a couple of times. Craig Brown (he worked out OK) and Alex McLeish (second time). Possibly Roxburgh but I don’t really remember that appointment happening.

Most other appointments have went down pretty well with fans. Until things went tits up anyway.

Unfortunately we have sank so low that we will find it difficult to attract the calibre if manager that the fans want.   

They should be at least asking the likes of Slavan Bilic, Jose Mourinho and Jupp Heynckes

It doesn’t cost anything to ask and you never know one of them might see it as an opportunity to put themselves back in the shop window

The lack of imagination during the last year at Hampden is unprecedented 

12 minutes ago, UpTheSlope said:

They should be at least asking the likes of Slavan Bilic, Jose Mourinho and Jupp Heynckes

It doesn’t cost anything to ask and you never know one of them might see it as an opportunity to put themselves back in the shop window

The lack of imagination during the last year at Hampden is unprecedented 

Paper talk but regarding Bilic

A source close to the man who led Croatia to the Euro 2008 quarter-finals said: "Of course he is missing football and in interested in the Scotland job.

"He won’t apply for the job but if the SFA contact him, that is different."

Funny how history repeats itself. I can remember loads of folk saying the same sort of things about Levien that are now being said about Clarke. Levein was the popular choice amongst the fans and media alike. After 2 competitive games everybody hated him. Clarke has achieved about the same as Levien had at that time i.e. fuk all.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Funny how history repeats itself. I can remember loads of folk saying the same sort of things about Levien that are now being said about Clarke. Levein was the popular choice amongst the fans and media alike. After 2 competitive games everybody hated him. Clarke has achieved about the same as Levien had at that time i.e. fuk all.

correct. 

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Have to agree. Clarke doing well at Killie equates to Levein doing well at United. It’s nowhere near enough to draw excitement.

The rumoured list above is already leaving me deflated. 

Edited by McTeeko

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Who cares if he uses it as a stepping stone as long as we get to Euro 2020. 

Yes, ideally whoever is appointed will stay for a couple of campaigns at least and will be successful but if someone comes in (be it Clarke or whoever), gets us to Euro 2020 and then fucks off to England, I won’t  give a rat’s arse. 

I suspect you would give a rat's arse if the next manager left mid qualifying campaign just like McLeish (the last manager to use the job as a stepping stone) did in his first spell. 

I would also accept a manager leaving if it meant Euro 2020 qualification but at least try and take some steps to mitigate the risk of a manager walking mid campaign. 

10 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

I suspect you would give a rat's arse if the next manager left mid qualifying campaign just like McLeish (the last manager to use the job as a stepping stone) did in his first spell. 

I would also accept a manager leaving if it meant Euro 2020 qualification but at least try and take some steps to mitigate the risk of a manager walking mid campaign. 

Not really. I mean I wouldn’t exactly be happy about it but it would probably mean we were in a good position. 

I seriously doubt that would happen on this campaign. We are already a fifth of the way through it so Clarke (or whoever) would need to do an amazing job to be offered a top job after 4 games in charge of Scotland. Like winning in Belgium and winning the other 3 games. 

Anyway, it’s all ifs, ands, buts and maybes until we appoint someone. 

Can see it being Moyes tbh.

Despite doing o.k at West Ham last season club job offers have dried up again. If approached can see him taking it, not just to attempt to get Scotland to euro 2020 but get clubs interested in him.

It was a bit like that with McLeish the first time of course. Sacked by Rangers so was struggling to find work, had a good year with the national team and suddenly a premier league club came calling and he managed at that level (somehow) for 5 years.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Have to agree. Clarke doing well at Killie equates to Levein doing well at United. It’s nowhere near enough to draw excitement.

The rumoured list above is already leaving me deflated. 

Steve Clarke done better in England than Levein.

I would say Clarke has feeling of George Burley appointment. It should work (as Burley did excellent work at Ipswich and to lesser extent at Southampton) but obviously no guarentee.

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Steve Clarke done better in England than Levein.

I would say Clarke has feeling of George Burley appointment. It should work (as Burley did excellent work at Ipswich and to lesser extent at Southampton) but obviously no guarentee.

It's not Burley's fault that Kris Iweunnooonmoooo  did what he did though.

12 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can see it being Moyes tbh.

Despite doing o.k at West Ham last season club job offers have dried up again. If approached can see him taking it, not just to attempt to get Scotland to euro 2020 but get clubs interested in him.

It was a bit like that with McLeish the first time of course. Sacked by Rangers so was struggling to find work, had a good year with the national team and suddenly a premier league club came calling and he managed at that level (somehow) for 5 years.

I agree on Moyes. The SFA will think this will excite the fans because he managed man u, it won't

14 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I agree on Moyes. The SFA will think this will excite the fans because he managed man u, it won't

It will if he ends up having a talent for international management and does a good job. 

I concede that’s not very likely but Moyes isn’t a terrible manager so you never know. I think I’d rather have Moyes than Gemmill or MacKay. 

None of those three fill me with excitement but it will probably be one of them unless the SFA can somehow get Clarke or McInnes.  

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

The shortlist is apparently McInnes, Moyes, Ross, Gemmill, MacKay and Clarke.  Colour me uninspired.

I wouldn’t mind Jack Ross in fairness but there’s no way he’ll leave Sunderland unless he’s sacked and I doubt that will happen unless they make a colossal arse of the playoffs or something. 

We couldn’t really complain if it’s Clarke or McInnes. They are probably the two highest regarded Scottish managers at the moment. Managing in Scotland anyway. 

1 hour ago, Saint4805 said:

The only time McLeish has left mid campaign was last week and it wasn't exactly his choice.

According to the BBC:

"Dozens of managers from around the world - with club and international experience - have shown an interest in the vacant Scotland job."

They're tipping either Gemmill or Mackay as interim manager to oversee the upcoming double header. I can hardly wait.

Maxwell is supposedly reporting back on the applications in the next 7-10 days. Fkin ridiculous the way this has dragged on considering they should've raced down to the dugout 10 minutes into the Kazakhstan game and hunted the erse.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The only time McLeish has left mid campaign was last week and it wasn't exactly his choice.

A lot of people seem to think McLeish left in the middle of a campaign in his first spell in charge for some reason. I’ve given up correcting people on that one.