Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 120 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

46 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely the compensation for Killie won't be that massive, I would hate to lose out on Clarke over a a few hundred thousand.

‘Six figure sum’ is all I’ve heard mentioned. Probably towards the higher end. 

23 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Let's hope his backroom team allows scope for someone like D. Fletch. to learn the ropes for the future.

Assuming he’d be interested. 

Isn’t there talk of him going back to Old Trafford?

48 minutes ago, Northeastern said:

Can there be any reason why Clarke won't be unveiled early next week. Surely needs done urgently with Cyprus coming up

If it’s true that compensation and personal terms have been agreed I would expect an announcement on Monday. Maybe Tuesday if some minor details still need to be ironed out.

As for the games coming up, it’s not as if Clarke is a foreigner with no knowledge of the Scottish game or Scottish players in England and abroad so his first squad should be fairly easy to pick. 

According to today’s Record, an official approach will be made on Monday, but a compensation package is believed to be around £200,000.

Imagine he will be unveiled late Monday afternoon/around lunch time Tuesday.

15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Assuming he’d be interested. 

Isn’t there talk of him going back to Old Trafford?

Sure he could combine duties but my point was really that if Clarke makes a success of the Scotland job he will inevitably be headhunted down south so we should groom a successor now. I don't think Alex Dyer is the one I'm thinking of; maybe promote Gemmill?

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Sure he could combine duties but my point was really that if Clarke makes a success of the Scotland job he will inevitably be headhunted down south so we should groom a successor now. I don't think Alex Dyer is the one I'm thinking of; maybe promote Gemmill?

He needs more than one person on his coaching staff and Gemmill has an important enough job as it is with the U21s. 

Alex Dyer isn't meant to be his successor, he's Clarke's trusted and well regarded assistant and it makes sense to sign him up too. Why don't you want him, because he's English ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

32 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Word is SC is furious with SFA leaks. Could fuck it up yet.... here's hoping. 

That is an odd thing to say as a Scotland fan. I realise your passion is with Killie and completely understand that , but you are going to lose Clarke at some point soon . IMO he has taken them as far as he can, it has been an almost fairytale like season for Killie fans, but you are never going to get past the ugly sisters and their cash cows.

If Clarke could replicate Killie’s success with Scotland I would hope the national team’s gain would go even a little way towards eroding the disappointment of losing him. 

Nothing would surprise me with the SFA, but I would never actually WANT them to fuck up with the only decent realistic candidate . 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

He could only combine duties if Man U (or whoever he’s working for next season) let him. 

He may also have no interest in two jobs. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Dyer staying ar Killie no matter what. 

I see papers today has bowie playing hardball. Partially true. 

Word is SC is furious with SFA leaks. Could fuck it up yet.... here's hoping. 

If Clarke has agreed to take the job I doubt he’ll change his mind because of a leak. 

The stuff that’s been in the papers looks like mainly guess work to me anyway, based on his 4 hour visit to Hampden on Thursday. There’s no real details in the story so whatever was leaked was the bare bones. These things always happen so I’m not sure why he’s surprised. 

18 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Am I the only one still paranoid that it's only toilet rag newspapers and someone going in to edit Clarke's Wikipedia page that are confirming the news? Not counting any chickens yet

Dinnae fret. Brenda, my boss‘s wife  kens SC‘s sister. Nailed on. Brenda kens.

In Clarke post-match speech at Rugby Park, while confirmed nothing, it certainly sounds like deal is done from what he was hinting (says sorry for not winning a cup and thank you for last 20 months)

Edited by wanderer

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He could only combine duties if Man U (or whoever he’s working for next season) let him. 

He may also have no interest in two jobs. 

The role that Fletcher is being linked with isn't a coaching role but as Director of Football so I suspect that wouldn't be compatible with a part time role coaching Scotland.

21 minutes ago, wanderer said:

In Clarke post-match speech at Rugby Park, while confirmed nothing, it certainly sounds like deal is done from what he was hinting (says sorry for not winning a cup and thank you for last 20 months)

All his speech really confirms is he’s leaving Kilmarnock. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

All his speech really confirms is he’s leaving Kilmarnock. 

Was never expecting him to confirm anything on his next move (today’s a day for the Killie fans after all) but his speech certainly strongly hints he is away.