Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 119 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Former chairman of Killie Trust just posted this:

"As someone with quite a few contacts in the press I can assure you 100% that the SFA were leaking information on this right, left and centre and wanted something pushed through before Sunday so they could bask in reflected glory at how clever they are in appointing a manager who just won all three top manager awards in Scotland.

I don't know all the details before anyone asks as you can imagine there are confidentiality issues here that our Club adhere to, even if the snakes are the SFA don't. Our Club board are due a meeting next week anyway and I dare say that they will be as open and honest to our fans as they can be about recent events and what has transpired.

It has been mentioned already but I think its shocking that the SFA can get away with playing this scenario out a day or two before one of the most important games of our season with so much riding on it. Surely those cretins have rules about this kind of thing? If they'd been approaching Gerrard or Lennon before such an important game they would be getting hunted down like dogs."

Basically my thoughts on it too.

•  
Edited by Squirrelhumper

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, as a Scotland fan I'm happy that we've got an actual manager.

As a Killie fan I'm gutted. I'm also fucking raging at those cunts at the SFA for leaking this two days before our biggest game in many a year.

Absolutely no reason why this couldn't have waited until next week, he won't be appointed until then anyway. I know it's not come from Clarkes end (he's just responded to the rumours) as knowing some of his family it's like getting blood out a stone trying to get any info. I don't even think he tells them half the team he plays his cards close to his chest.

Good luck to him, if he has half the success he had with Killie, then we'll be off to the Euros.

Going to be an emotional day tomorrow at RP.

Who will Killie appoint now? Big boots to fill.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Greg Taylor?

He said that jokingly yesterday at the presser when asked about Clarke being fave for the job.

It was leaked by somebody at the SFA and I know for a fact Killie aren't happy about it and have told the SFA they are not budging on the compo figure which is written into his contract.

Bowie and McLeish on the Killie board are worth over £100m between them through self built businesses. I don't think they are overly bothered about playing hard ball with the clowns at the SFA over the compo.

Sorry Greg.

stewart Milne is worth £114m alone, but does not mean we can expect to keep McInnes when someone comes along (as what happened with Sunderland, and Rangers).

its basically the worst kept secret in Scottish football, and was only a matter of time someone in the media hit the button to go with this story to get the “exclusive”, just media jumped the gun as I suspect SFA and Killie probably wanted the story to break no earlier than 4:45pm on Sunday.

Ball is in Clarke’s corner just now over which job he wants more (and I suspect it’s the Scotland job, but he is professional enough to finish the job with Killie first).

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What I've heard this morning is that the SFA have leaked this, Clarke has agreed to go but they have no met his compo figure and instead offered what was described as being "insulting" figure to Killie.

I can see Killie playing hardball but them you've a manger in no mans land.

Scotsman is reporting that compensation has been agreed. Could be a lot of shite though. 

The best candidate out of three. Have to agree though, its a bit of a shitter for Killie that this is slipping out - even if it was the worst kept secret - before their key game tomorrow ; but hopefully Celtic win the cup so both Aberdeen and Killie both get European fitba.

I'm looking forward to Clarke and who he will select as his back team. Its probably a good fit for him, he's 55 and can probably move to England whilst spending lots of weekends up here watching Scottish football. The only aspect of his appointment which is a bit untested is the difference between day-to-day coaching and then going in to international football. 

He has the potential to become an absolute hero in Scotland. Not to put pressure on him, but if we can get to the Euros and put in a very decent qualifying campaign for Qatar. 

Good luck to him. We have a decent set of players. With an excellent coach, we certainly can qualifying get to playoffs for tournaments! 

51 minutes ago, wanderer said:

its basically the worst kept secret in Scottish football, and was only a matter of time someone in the media hit the button to go with this story to get the “exclusive”, just media jumped the gun as I suspect SFA and Killie probably wanted the story to break no earlier than 4:45pm on Sunday.

It wasn't really, had he been approached for the Fulham job he wouldn't have given the Scotland job a second glance.

Believe what you want but the SFA leaked the story to the press. They are also still being arsey about compo and how it's paid, so I can see this getting messy.

53 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Sorry Greg.

stewart Milne is worth £114m alone, but does not mean we can expect to keep McInnes when someone comes along (as what happened with Sunderland, and Rangers).

Difference is our board aren't self serving cunts like Milne. You know the guy that let Pittodrie get run in to disrepair in order to force through his plans for a new stadium? Will make nice houses all the same.

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Scotsman is reporting that compensation has been agreed. Could be a lot of shite though. 

It's been agreed, after the went lower than the contracted amount.

Slightly concerns me how skint the SFA appear to be.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The way they pay it hasn't. Killie won't budge on that.

They should be paying the agreed amount the way Kilmarnock want. The SFA are taking their manager after all. 

They seem to think they can bully clubs because they’re the governing body. Mind you, they won’t have had much practice at this. They normally appoint an unemployed person. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Slightly concerns me how skint the SFA appear to be.

Skint or cheap?

I can understand them trying to save money as they have just wasted a small fortune on the McLeish debacle but surely they knew it would cost a fair bit to get a manager who is already in a job?

They probably thought they could get him on the cheap because ‘it’s only Kilmarnock’. 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Skint or cheap?

I can understand them trying to save money as they have just wasted a small fortune on the McLeish debacle but surely they knew it would cost a fair bit to get a manager who is already in a job?

They probably thought they could get him on the cheap because ‘it’s only Kilmarnock’. 

Probably a combination of both.

The word I heard used to describe the initial offer was "insulting".

Bowie won't back down though, and I wouldn't want to mess with McLeish. I've heard her at club AGM's go through folk!

50 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It wasn't really, had he been approached for the Fulham job he wouldn't have given the Scotland job a second glance.

Believe what you want but the SFA leaked the story to the press. They are also still being arsey about compo and how it's paid, so I can see this getting messy.

Bookies and fans have had Clarke as favourite for weeks.... Clarke been saying for weeks he wants the job (just not being specific on “when”...) while as soon as McInnes is linked with it he distances himself as far from it as possible.

Nothing in the Sun article is not what fans already knew/assumed for weeks now.... just a case some of the dots are starting to get connected now.

only “but....” was the fans expectation that the SFa would balls it up in their usual way and we would end up with Gemmill.

Edited by wanderer

22 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Bookies and fans have had Clarke as favourite for weeks.... Clarke been saying for weeks he wants the job (just not being specific on “when”...) while as soon as McInnes is linked with it he distances himself as far from it as possible.

Nothing in the Sun article is not what fans already knew/assumed for weeks now.... just a case some of the dots are starting to get connected now.

only “but....” was the fans expectation that the SFa would balls it up in their usual way and we would end up with Gemmill.

Trust me, if the Fulham job was offered to him he'd have been nowhere near Hampden.

Think McInnes already knew by that time it's was Clarke's job to turn down.

PS - Clarke hasn't been fave for weeks. Gemmell was the other week. Clarke had drifted, it was only when Fulham appointed Parker did his odds start dropping.

SFA will have known they couldn't get close to competing with Fulham.

2 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

It's really so frustrating that the pieces are finally falling into place and we should be excited that we end up with another mess!

Hope it's resolved properly and then I will start to feel positive for the future.

How is it a mess?

Negotiating compensation and press leaks are par for the course. Killie are getting shafted a wee bit by the sound of it but it’s hardly the end of the world for them. 

If its true that the SFA have leaked this to try and force Killie into accepting a lower release fee, then its absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

When a club goes to the press about another clubs player, its kinda understandable. This is the governing body doing it, the very people responsible for looking after the games ethics, following the rules of the game etc, they simply can not participate in this behaviour.

If I were a Killie official, Id be raging at them. If theres evidence towards the substance of this story, I wouldnt be surprised if Clarke told the SFA to stick it.

Edited by kumnio

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

How is it a mess?

Negotiating compensation and press leaks are par for the course. Killie are getting shafted a wee bit by the sound of it but it’s hardly the end of the world for them. 

I know but it's hardly smooth. You could say things never are but Clarke getting the job is just fantastic news and perhaps part of me thinks the SFA are just about to balls thus up.

1 minute ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I know but it's hardly smooth. You could say things never are but Clarke getting the job is just fantastic news and perhaps part of me thinks the SFA are just about to balls thus up.

I wouldn’t put anything past them. 

I won’t believe he’s our new manager until he’s confirmed at a press conference at Hampden.