Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 117 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Can you see the future now?

We’ve got an excellent chance of making Euro 2020 depending on who we get in the playoffs and where a potential playoff final is played. We could get two home ties against very mediocre opposition. 

Nah but I've been watching Scotland home and away for 20 odd years.

22 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe he should stop attacking referees in his post match interviews then? 

He wouldn't need to if they were anywhere near competent.

Same with the SFA.

Should nobody mention how shite the refs are then just so their feelings aren't hurt? Mangers, players etc get sacked if they are shite - refs are untouchables. Same with SFA.

According to Alasdair Lamont, Clarke was at Hampden for 4 hours this morning and left via the underground car park, rather than through the front door.

Seems a tad long for just a disciplinary hearing.....

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Can you see the future now?

We’ve got an excellent chance of making Euro 2020 depending on who we get in the playoffs and where a potential playoff final is played. We could get two home ties against very mediocre opposition. 

Or, we could get Serbia away and the usual half dozen sick notes.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He wouldn't need to if they were anywhere near competent.

Same with the SFA.

Should nobody mention how shite the refs are then just so their feelings aren't hurt? Mangers, players etc get sacked if they are shite - refs are untouchables. Same with SFA.

Nothing wrong with criticising refs decisions (in my opinion, SFA think otherwise) but I think most people would agree (excluding a lot of Killie fans I’m sure) that he went to far in his comments.

There was no need to bring McLean’s dad into it, especially since most of the decisions that went against Killie were marginal or debatable. From memory, one of the red cards was a terrible decision but that was about it. What ref doesn’t make mistakes like that. 

Anyway, regardless of what we think, Clarke knew the rules and knew he was breaking them. He can hardly complain about getting a ban. Will probably only be one game anyway. Doubt they’ll ban him from the dugout for the Cyprus game. 😝

51 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Or, we could get Serbia away and the usual half dozen sick notes.

True. We could also have Serbia or Norway at home. Or someone worse than that if either or both qualify outright. 

My point was that it was ridiculous to say that Scotland wouldn’t qualify for anything anytime soon when we have just as much chance of qualifying through the playoffs as Norway, Serbia or anyone else. 

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nah but I've been watching Scotland home and away for 20 odd years.

You’ll have seen us win a good few games then? 

We’ve as good a chance as anyone of qualifying through the playoffs. Doesn’t mean we’ll definitely do it but it’s hardly impossible. 

Well look at it this way Squirrelhumper - it is a chance for Steve Clarke to prove himself at the highest level.

I mean Strachan was lambasted and but for an odd cock-up we could have perhaps made play-offs with basically the same set of players Clarke will have to work with. To say we ain't qualifying anytime soon does not seem to be you exuding confidence in Steve Clarke.

Think media are all in the know he has the job, as fair few journalists saying ban would not apply to national team job as it’s a domestic matter, while it would have to be something UEFA/FIFA dish out for it to apply to the national team

55 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Think media are all in the know he has the job, as fair few journalists saying ban would not apply to national team job as it’s a domestic matter, while it would have to be something UEFA/FIFA dish out for it to apply to the national team

They could just be talking hypothetically. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

That is what he's got, the second game ban has been suspended until the end of the year. 

I initially thought that myself. I was just trying to wind up the squirrel molester. Someone just said to me as I was posting this that it was a two game ban with a third game suspended until the end of the year? 

Edited by Texas Pete

7 hours ago, Northeastern said:

I still have my reservations as to Clarke definitely getting the job. Can see the SFA screwing this up. Is there a chance that they end up taking too long and just announce Gemmil to take the next 2 games?

Well it would not be a manager hunt for the SFA without a cock-up. We had Souness-Gate when Burley got the job. We had the SFA cocking up the pursuit of Michael O'Neil last time around so no doubt there will be a balls up somewhere here. It's the SFA after all.

7 hours ago, Northeastern said:

I still have my reservations as to Clarke definitely getting the job. Can see the SFA screwing this up. Is there a chance that they end up taking too long and just announce Gemmil to take the next 2 games?

If Clark or McInnes don’t want the job I would rather they appointed Gemmill for the next two games than permanently.

They would then have a bit of breathing space to find a permanent boss. 

Surely even Gemmill could organise us into beating Cyprus at home? If he takes anything from Belgium then they could consider giving him the job on a permanent basis. He’d probably also get a knighthood if that happened right enough. 

49 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Latest I've heard is that SFA were surprised at the compo that is written into his contract at Killie.

Might not put them off but it's hefty.

He signed a new deal last season which meant his wages went up, compo went up but length stayed the same.

Funnily enough i was just having this chat.  Clarke will be on a decent wage and recently signed a new deal in which he will have wanted Killie reimbursed well if he departs.  A departing legacy.  Similarly, McInnes is on £500K a year with Dons and extended that deal last year.  Both will be more expensive than the SFA would have bargained for. 

How much was McLeish on per year as Scotland Manager?