Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 116 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Scotland will not qualify for anything anytime soon.

They might with Clarke in charge. A midfield of McTominay, Gilmour and Turnbull plus Fraser and Forrest should be able to qualify for tournaments in the foreseeable future - that’s what an incoming manager will be thinking, at least.

1 minute ago, Debian said:

Clarke has done wonders with Killie.  He went in with zero expectation and has to be commended.  

I just don't see it happening at Scotland for him. 

Clarkes main strength from what I've heard is his day to day coaching, working on formations etc in the lead up to games depending on opposition etc.

Won't get that at international management and the team have shown they aren't good enough anyway.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Will be news to Killie, then as nobody from the SFA have spoken to them!

Would that surprise you?  I mean, can you imagine the SFA touting either of the cheeks' managers in the press just before a big weekend of matches for both clubs? 

While i appreciate it's a nightmare for Killie (and you), he's the only decent option and therefore the correct decision.

1 hour ago, runningtings said:

Could he not do both?

From what BBC were saying last week, its not a coaching role, he is actually over seeing the whole of the Man United youth development in some capacity, so I imagine it would be a big ask for him to juggle both (but suppose you will never know if you do not ask, but maybe Clarke will have his own team in mind already). 

22 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Would that surprise you?  I mean, can you imagine the SFA touting either of the cheeks' managers in the press just before a big weekend of matches for both clubs? 

While i appreciate it's a nightmare for Killie (and you), he's the only decent option and therefore the correct decision.

Well, if they have spoken to Clarke before the club then it's tapping up.

Which I find hard to believe the SFA would even do?

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Well, if they have spoken to Clarke before the club then it's tapping up.

Which I find hard to believe the SFA would even do?

Clarke is quoted in todays Herald as saying to reporters yesterday when asked about his Killie future,

“At the moment the inside of my head is like a tumble dryer,” he said. “No, I’m not any clearer – the next couple of weeks are going to be very difficult for me.”

McInnes has at least come out to a Aberdeen director that he is there for the foreseeable future should an approach be made.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Clarke is quoted in todays Herald as saying to reporters yesterday when asked about his Killie future,

“At the moment the inside of my head is like a tumble dryer,” he said. “No, I’m not any clearer – the next couple of weeks are going to be very difficult for me.”

McInnes has at least come out to a Aberdeen director that he is there for the foreseeable future should an approach be made.

I don't think he's particularly talking about Scotland, he's been saying same since last summer!

As for McInnes, he's been for interviews with more than one club after saying he was happy at Aberdeen. Not that I want McInnes anywhere near the Scotland job but I'd be delighted if he got it ahead of Clarke.

Scotland are a mere afterthought for me these days.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

A decent manager can get us to the euros.

It has the potential to be a good job for the right person. 

The problems with the SFA and youth development are well known but we’ve arguably underachieved through poor / below average management. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

4 hours ago, stocky said:

He is in a no lose situation if he goes to Scotland. 

We have the players to qualify for euro 2020, he will get us over the line, hopefully then he will get us to W.C. in 2022,

4 years , 2 campaigns at Scotland and he leaves with a great success under his belt.  

He will only be 60, 

If he fails blame the SFA ...

What else can he do at Killie?  they wont get second,,  They might win a cup, but  Rangers will be focusing on them next year big style...

Anyhoo as you say 

Who knows in Football..

That must be some good gear you've been smokin. :lol:

28 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

A decent manager can get us to the euros.

It has the potential to be a good job for the right person. 

The problems with the SFA and youth development are well known but we’ve arguably underachieved through poor / below average management. 

Squirrelhumper knows all this...hes just railing against the thought of Clarke chucking Killie to manage Scotland

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Parker is Fulham boss.

I think Europe will play a part.

I think he's genuinely happy  at Killie but if the SFA weren't such a shambles it would be shoe in for him to take the Scotland job. Could be career suicide taking it though - look at Avril and Strachan since taking it. One out of work and the other a mid table SPL side and on verge of being punted.

Clarke was talking yesterday about having a couple of signings he'd like to get over the line but nothing would surprise me in football!

As I said, I hope he tells the SFA to ram it.

Levein is exactly where he should be. Mid table mediocrity in Scotland is his level. 

He blew any chance of a better career with his piss poor performance at Leicester and with Scotland. 

23 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Would be class if they stopped throwing touchline bans at Steve Clarke if they actually wanted him to take the job...

Maybe he should stop attacking referees in his post match interviews then? 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Can you see the future now?

We’ve got an excellent chance of making Euro 2020 depending on who we get in the playoffs and where a potential playoff final is played. We could get two home ties against very mediocre opposition. 

8 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Would be class if they stopped throwing touchline bans at Steve Clarke if they actually wanted him to take the job...

Could be wrong, but I would expect the side which handles disciplinary matters is a sub-division/free of the main SFA board, so for "appearances" they probably still have to go through with it, even if up for the Scotland job.