Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 115 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

56 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

‘’ The Scottish FA are eager to make an appointment quickly, with the squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers with Cyprus and Belgium due to be announced in less than a fortnight.

Coincidentally, Clarke will be at Hampden on Thursday for a disciplinary meeting following his comments about referee Steven McLean last month. ‘’

I just cannot see him being up for a disciplinary hearing and in the next breath  ‘and whilst Steve is here, let us introduce you to the next Scotland manager’ .    This makes me think it is Gemmell, though I imagine ticket sales are shit and I cant see them shifting many more on that appointment.    

He’s unlikely to refuse the job because he has to attend a disciplinary meeting unless he’s some sort of immature idiot. If he is then we’re better off without him. 

I wish McLeish well in life, but I'm glad he has been sacked. As usual, the SFA took a mammoth amount of time to do what anyone should have done the day they returned from San Marino.

Anyhoos, hopefully it is Clarke. Although if they do pip Aberdeen for the Europa spot, I would have liked to have seen him in the EL and how Killie would have done.

I'd be ignoring the odds like, sure they O'Neill something wild like 1/5 on before Eck was appointed.

No doubt it'll be Lambo or someone!😄

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Wasn’t Levein refusing to pay a SFA fine for some comments on ref’s he made not long before he got the Scotland job?

Levein referred to something like that on The Hampden Roar interview.   Not that he refused, but that he got let off on two charges he thought he'd be busted for, then next thing got the job.

So after a month or so, the shortlist has been whittled down to 3 or 4 names that every pundit and fan would have predicted. None of the people who applied have been deemed suitable, good enough and attainable.

Im really glad that we have the SFA doing such a brilliant job at the helm.

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

So after a month or so, the shortlist has been whittled down to 3 or 4 names that every pundit and fan would have predicted. None of the people who applied have been deemed suitable, good enough and attainable.

Im really glad that we have the SFA doing such a brilliant job at the helm.

Apart from Clarke, the alleged shortlist is as uninspiring as I can remember and is fucking depressing.

Scot Gemmill is just an old fashioned shouter and another Scottish coach that doesn't have a clue about modern football. Ross done a good job at St Mirren and probably slightly below par at Sunderland and certainly isn't qualified for the position. As for McInnes, have none of these SFA lads seen Aberdeen play football, they are as grim as they come.

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s unlikely to refuse the job because he has to attend a disciplinary meeting unless he’s some sort of immature idiot. If he is then we’re better off without him. 

Sorry, I wasn't meaning he would refuse the job, I think the SFA are just to stubborn and pre historic to offer the job to someone even the slightest bit rebellious. I hope I am wrong as IMO he is the only one on the shortlist worth considering. 

Poor ticket sales perhaps may be the only thing that makes them swallow their pride. 

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

A bit conflicted, the Scotland fan in me would be delighted if it's Clarke, the Killie fan would be devastated :unsure:

I'm not conflicted in the slightest.

Scunnered with everything to do wit the SFA, I'm complete opposite with everything Killie just now, from the playing staff, board, management etc.

44 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

As for Clarke - the Chief Sports Reporter for the Kilmarnock Standard is saying he'd be very surprised if Clarke takes the Scotland job.

Billy Bowie said as much yesterday at sponsors event.

Who knows, I hope to fuck he tells the SFA to ram it.

What about the Fulham job? There was some chat that he might take that. Do you think its dependent on whether you get that European place on Sunday?

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Sorry, I wasn't meaning he would refuse the job, I think the SFA are just to stubborn and pre historic to offer the job to someone even the slightest bit rebellious. I hope I am wrong as IMO he is the only one on the shortlist worth considering. 

Poor ticket sales perhaps may be the only thing that makes them swallow their pride. 

Ah, I see. 

If the BBC are to be believed then the SFA have asked Kilmarnock for permission to speak to Clarke. If this is true then the disciplinary issues shouldn’t be a barrier as they already knew about them. 

31 minutes ago, Mox said:

What about the Fulham job? There was some chat that he might take that. Do you think its dependent on whether you get that European place on Sunday?

Parker is Fulham boss.

I think Europe will play a part.

I think he's genuinely happy  at Killie but if the SFA weren't such a shambles it would be shoe in for him to take the Scotland job. Could be career suicide taking it though - look at Avril and Strachan since taking it. One out of work and the other a mid table SPL side and on verge of being punted.

Clarke was talking yesterday about having a couple of signings he'd like to get over the line but nothing would surprise me in football!

As I said, I hope he tells the SFA to ram it.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think he's genuinely happy  at Killie but if the SFA weren't such a shambles it would be shoe in for him to take the Scotland job. Could be career suicide taking it though - look at Avril and Strachan since taking it. One out of work and the other a mid table SPL side and on verge of being punted.

He is in a no lose situation if he goes to Scotland. 

We have the players to qualify for euro 2020, he will get us over the line, hopefully then he will get us to W.C. in 2022,

4 years , 2 campaigns at Scotland and he leaves with a great success under his belt.  

He will only be 60, 

If he fails blame the SFA ...

What else can he do at Killie?  they wont get second,,  They might win a cup, but  Rangers will be focusing on them next year big style...

Anyhoo as you say 

Who knows in Football..

22 minutes ago, stocky said:

We have the players to qualify for euro 2020, he will get us over the line, hopefully then he will get us to W.C. in 2022,

4 years , 2 campaigns at Scotland and he leaves with a great success under his belt.  

He will only be 60, 

Aye, that's worked well for managers in the past - where are Burley, Avril and Strachan after being punted?

23 minutes ago, stocky said:

What else can he do at Killie?  they wont get second,,  They might win a cup, but  Rangers will be focusing on them next year big style...

Get into Europe, his style is suited to playing 2 legged ties IMO.

Win a cup, Rangers will be focusing on the league more than anything.

He might not stay at Killie but the Scotland job is a huge risk for a manager in his position IMO.

49 minutes ago, stocky said:

He will only be 60, 

Anyhoo as you say 

Who knows in Football..

Lol wc 2022, I love your optimism. Saying that I do agree that he could take us to the euros given that we already have a playoff.

35 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, that's worked well for managers in the past - where are Burley, Avril and Strachan after being punted?

Get into Europe, his style is suited to playing 2 legged ties IMO.

Win a cup, Rangers will be focusing on the league more than anything.

1- Aye but they didnae qualify .. Stevie Will.. so his stock will be great 

2 aye good point, their fitba is suited to European style as well...but a wee European run and a finish of 5/6th in League ....

3 Rangers will get nowhere near the league next year... you and i both know that...

Listening between the lines, Stevie Clarke is wanting back to his Family in London Area... Scotland Job will allow this,  

However, who knows....