Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 114 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Oddschecker are showing skybet have Steve Clarke as 1/10 favourite for the job. Surely those kind of odds suggest it's a done deal.

or loads of people have started betting on it being clarke because Mcinnes said no, this pushes the odds.

I now think it will be Gemmil but it will all be down to whether the players can be arsed

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Oddschecker are showing skybet have Steve Clarke as 1/10 favourite for the job. Surely those kind of odds suggest it's a done deal.

You’d think so but it might just be in response to McInnes more or less being ruled out. 

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

A bit conflicted, the Scotland fan in me would be delighted if it's Clarke, the Killie fan would be devastated :unsure:

Clarke will be leaving Killie in the not too distant future anyway, so wouldn't the Scotland fan in you think it's surely better that he takes that job than any other?

35 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I'm hopeful it is Steve Clarke because of his jobs at Kilmarnock and WBA in solidifying average teams and instilling confidence in them. Exactly what Scotland needs at this time.

So knowing the SFA, it will be Scot Gemmill.

If Clarke wants the job he’ll get it. I doubt even the SFA would choose Gemmill over Clarke (although they might claim they did if Clarke turns them down). 

13 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I reckon it will be Clarke, seems to suit everyone.

Hopefully he'd bring in Darren Fletcher to train him up 

Fletcher all set to get a big job in the youth set up at Man United (Director of performance of something) according to reports earlier this week

I find it strange that they would announce either McInnes or Clarke in the next 48hrs given they both have club games at the weekend. If it’s being announced before the weekend that points to it being Gemmell. 

16 minutes ago, Northeastern said:

Just not feeling much excitement over an appointment of Clarke or Mciness. Gemmil would be a lazy appointment. Can we not look to Europe and try something different?

I think Clarke is a great appointment.
Knows Scottish game and how to motivate limited ability players.

Foreign manager may struggle with both those aspects (i.e Berti).

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Fletcher all set to get a big job in the youth set up at Man United (Director of performance of something) according to reports earlier this week

I'm thinking we need an experienced number 2 this time as James McFadden as an assistant didn't turn out well

1 minute ago, Northeastern said:

I'm thinking we need an experienced number 2 this time as James McFadden as an assistant didn't turn out well

A great, much loved player for Scotland but as part of McLeish's backroom team he looked lost in the dugout and when interviewed he obviously hadn't a clue what was going on. 

The SFA only gave him the job anyway to save him from bankruptcy last year.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:50 PM, Orraloon said:

Funny how history repeats itself. I can remember loads of folk saying the same sort of things about Levien that are now being said about Clarke. Levein was the popular choice amongst the fans and media alike. After 2 competitive games everybody hated him. Clarke has achieved about the same as Levien had at that time i.e. fuk all.

11 minutes ago, wanderer said:

But does that not work perfectly as the Scottish no. 2 shouldn't be  a full time job so having someone at the guts of youth development at one of the worlds top clubs and who is and was a diehard for the national team and as our no. 2 albeit part time is an absolutely fantastic thing for us ? 

5 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I find it strange that they would announce either McInnes or Clarke in the next 48hrs given they both have club games at the weekend. If it’s being announced before the weekend that points to it being Gemmell. 

It does, doesn't it?  :(

Of the three, Scot Gemmill would be the most uninspired, humdrum, perfunctory choice by far.

14 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The decision is being made in the next 48 hours, supposedly the announcement won't be til next week...

‘’ The Scottish FA are eager to make an appointment quickly, with the squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers with Cyprus and Belgium due to be announced in less than a fortnight.

Coincidentally, Clarke will be at Hampden on Thursday for a disciplinary meeting following his comments about referee Steven McLean last month. ‘’

I just cannot see him being up for a disciplinary hearing and in the next breath  ‘and whilst Steve is here, let us introduce you to the next Scotland manager’ .    This makes me think it is Gemmell, though I imagine ticket sales are shit and I cant see them shifting many more on that appointment.    

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

‘’ The Scottish FA are eager to make an appointment quickly, with the squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers with Cyprus and Belgium due to be announced in less than a fortnight.

Coincidentally, Clarke will be at Hampden on Thursday for a disciplinary meeting following his comments about referee Steven McLean last month. ‘’

I just cannot see him being up for a disciplinary hearing and in the next breath  ‘and whilst Steve is here, let us introduce you to the next Scotland manager’ .    This makes me think it is Gemmell, though I imagine ticket sales are shit and I cant see them shifting many more on that appointment.    

Wasn’t Levein refusing to pay a SFA fine for some comments on ref’s he made not long before he got the Scotland job?

22 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

But does that not work perfectly as the Scottish no. 2 shouldn't be  a full time job so having someone at the guts of youth development at one of the worlds top clubs and who is and was a diehard for the national team and as our no. 2 albeit part time is an absolutely fantastic thing for us ? 

Agree with what you are saying, but with a club the size of Man United, I doubt he would get the chance to balance both.