Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 113 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

8 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

why do we need to wait on someone coming to us? Headhunting is carried out in every profession, the world over.

I want the SFA to do their job properly and get the best person for the job, not the best one that shows an interest, or the best Scotsman that we can coax

Who says they have not? Regan enjoyed thinking he had the press in the palm of his hand (and thinking he was controlling them) and look how that turned out when he basically made up a short list that consisted of only Micheal O'Neil....

Honestly think nobody has a clue who the SFA are looking at, as seems to be that Maxwell is keeping his cards close to his chest (which to be honest I am happy with), and everything we are getting just now from the media seems to be based only on hearsay and mainly bookies odd's, rather than knowing exactly what is going on at Hampden. 

4 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I struggle to believe that if the SFA have carried out a proper search, that the best they can come up with is McInnes, Clarke, Gemmill and Moyes

While I believe that resembles the possible list, who exactly has came out and said it is? Listen in on Sportsound on Saturday for the last few weeks and when it turns to this topic they are bickering with themselves using those 4 names, and nobody has came forward as said "I know for a fact that Clarke has spoken with the SFA!"....

As I said, if the best the Daily Record can do just now is "Clarke and McInnes are the hot favorites based on Bookie odd's" that says to me that Maxwell is feeding the media very little in terms of what they are planning and just getting on with it (rather than letting the media do his job for him).

Gut feeling is its Clarke and has probably been agreed, but everyone involved is doing the respectful thing and letting him finish the job at Killie before making an official announcement (if it was someone out of a job or in house, we would have had an appointment weeks ago). 

21 minutes ago, wanderer said:

While I believe that resembles the possible list, who exactly has came out and said it is? Listen in on Sportsound on Saturday for the last few weeks and when it turns to this topic they are bickering with themselves using those 4 names, and nobody has came forward as said "I know for a fact that Clarke has spoken with the SFA!"....

As I said, if the best the Daily Record can do just now is "Clarke and McInnes are the hot favorites based on Bookie odd's" that says to me that Maxwell is feeding the media very little in terms of what they are planning and just getting on with it (rather than letting the media do his job for him).

Gut feeling is its Clarke and has probably been agreed, but everyone involved is doing the respectful thing and letting him finish the job at Killie before making an official announcement (if it was someone out of a job or in house, we would have had an appointment weeks ago). 

I think whoever has the job, it's looking more obvious (to me) that it's a manger still in work and they're waiting for the season to end

23 minutes ago, wanderer said:

The discussion we are having, and my reaction to that is from your list...if that is anywhere near accurate, and I understand its a shot in the dark from you, then we are as well just packing it all in

9 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think whoever has the job, it's looking more obvious (to me) that it's a manger still in work and they're waiting for the season to end

Yep, if it was Gemmill, MacKay or Moyes, first question to the SFA is going to be "why did you waste a couple of weeks to announce this?"

Edited by wanderer

8 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

My money is on Clarke, he's the only one who's openly spoke about making a decision on his own future and the job could fit with his family situation too. Mcinnes, I just can't see it happening. I think he wants to be at AFC once the new training complex is finished and possibly the new stadium. He is however at a cross roads because there is a massive re-build job required at AFC in the summer, if he gets that wrong we will slip down the league and he may not be there but him leaving won't be his choice. 

Two foreign names linked in recent weeks who it certainly isn't is Marc Wilmots looks set to take over as Iran manager, and Bruce Arena just been appointed a coach at New England Revolution.... and in last few minutes BBC and Record have started rehashing their Bilic reports from two weeks ago, but replacing "Scotland" with "Celtic" with "sources" saying he is interested in the Celtic job.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Two foreign names linked in recent weeks who it certainly isn't is Marc Wilmots looks set to take over as Iran manager, and Bruce Arena just been appointed a coach at New England Revolution.... and in last few minutes BBC and Record have started rehashing their Bilic reports from two weeks ago, but replacing "Scotland" with "Celtic" with "sources" saying he is interested in the Celtic job.

And saying he favours a club job.

Derek McInnes staying despite Scotland talk - Aberdeen vice-chairman

By Tyrone SmithBBC Scotland Sport

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes and Kilmarnock counterpart Steve Clarke
Derek McInnes and Steve Clarke are vying for third place in the Premiership with their clubs

Aberdeen vice-chairman Dave Cormack says Derek McInnes has told him he will be staying as manager even if the Scottish FA makes an approach.

McInnes is among those being considered by the governing body to succeed the sacked Alex McLeish as head coach.

"Derek is very attracted to being Scotland manager at some stage, but not just now," Cormack told BBC Scotland. "That's a big plus for us as a club."

Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke is the bookmakers' favourite to be appointed.

Scotland Under-21 coach Scot Gemmill and Sunderland manager Jack Ross have also been linked with the Scotland job.

McInnes and Clarke are going head-to-head with their clubs to clinch third place in the Scottish Premiership, with Kilmarnock ahead on goal difference going into Sunday's final games of the season.

Asked if 47-year-old McInnes had told him that, even if Scotland come calling next week, he is staying put, Cormack said: "Yes.

"Whilst Derek himself aspires to be Scotland manager at some stage, Derek's made the decision that that time is not now - that he wants to focus on club football."

McInnes is entering the final year of his current contract, but Cormack is keen to discuss an extension, saying: "We'll get to that in the coming weeks."

Cormack was speaking as Aberdeen revealed their future strategy and plans ahead of the opening of the club's new £12m community hub, which will house their professional training campus and youth academy on the horizon.

"He's worked hard to get this new training facility in place," Cormack said of McInnes. "He's excited about this summer.

"The bad news is there's eight or nine players going out. The good news is there's eight or nine players going out - it gives him an opportunity to re-invest."

McInnes, who played twice for his country, has been Aberdeen manager since 2013, having previously been in charge of St Johnstone and Bristol City.

They have finished runners-up to Celtic in the past four seasons and also lost to the Glasgow side in the 2016-17 Scottish Cup and League Cup finals, the latter feat being repeated earlier this season.

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m really hoping it’s Clarke.

I hope I’m wrong but it sounds like it’s going to be Gemmill. 

If the article is accurate then they haven’t even spoken to Clarke yet, they’ve only spoken to Kilmarnock. 

If it’s between Clarke and Archie’s boy then I think we are all in agreement as to who we’d prefer.