Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 112 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

5 minutes ago, CraigieBrown said:

THE PROBLEM: In my opinion, it is the total tardiness and lack of information of the SFA camel coats.

This is something I'd disagree on. It's something I've heard a lot in club football too.

"They aren't telling me what they're doing" as if that's a problem.

It's not. No manager or chariman or board should ever be telling you what they're doing. They'd be remiss if they did.
We've had as much info as we should.

Chief executive Ian Maxwell has been drawing up a shortlist.
At the beginning of May that shortlist was submitted to the board.
They've deciding on whether to make a permanent or interim appointment.
They intend to announce a decision in the next week.

What more do you expect to know tbh?

Note: I'm not defending the SFA board, they're clowns and seem to just make mistake after mistake, when they even make the effort to act. But the 'lack of information' is most certainly not a problem.

34 minutes ago, andyD said:

This is something I'd disagree on. It's something I've heard a lot in club football too.

"They aren't telling me what they're doing" as if that's a problem.

It's not. No manager or chariman or board should ever be telling you what they're doing. They'd be remiss if they did.
We've had as much info as we should.

Chief executive Ian Maxwell has been drawing up a shortlist.
At the beginning of May that shortlist was submitted to the board.
They've deciding on whether to make a permanent or interim appointment.
They intend to announce a decision in the next week.

What more do you expect to know tbh?

Note: I'm not defending the SFA board, they're clowns and seem to just make mistake after mistake, when they even make the effort to act. But the 'lack of information' is most certainly not a problem.

Who s in charge for June games.

1 hour ago, CraigieBrown said:

ODDSCHECKER: Now 4/6 ON for Steve Clarke, Derek McInnes 11/10. Moyes is next at 16.... others 25 to 30. It is 3 weeks to next game and no squad announced.... this is getting ridiculous!

THE PROBLEM: In my opinion, it is the total tardiness and lack of information of the SFA camel coats. The criticism they have received from various football people and pundits in totally deserved. THEY ARE A LARGE PART OF THE PROBLEM. IMPORTANT DECISIONS BUT DISCONNECTED FROM THE REAL WORLD CAMEL COAT PRAWN CANAPE SCOFFING SILVER SPOON UP YER PRIVATE SCHOOL ARSE BRIGADE....

It’s not ridiculous if someone has already agreed to become our manager but doesn’t want it made public until after their club’s last game of the season. 

According to BBC sportsound last night the list has been narrowed to 4 candidates (named no names, but safe to assume it’s Clarke, McInnes, Moyes and Gemmill)

The fact they are taking their time says to me its between Clarke and McInnes (as Moyes or Gemmill could have been announced weeks ago), just the SFA are waiting for the full time whistle on this weekends matches before announcing anything.

Out the two I imagine it’s Clarke, as Aberdeen were reported to wanting £900k-£1.2m for McInnes when they allowed Sunderland to have talks with him, and doubt this figure will have came down massively since then, while i imagine Killie would want a lot less for Clarke.

56 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Out the two I imagine it’s Clarke, as Aberdeen were reported to wanting £900k-£1.2m for McInnes when they allowed Sunderland to have talks with him, and doubt this figure will have came down massively since then, while i imagine Killie would want a lot less for Clarke.

Any compensation Aberdeen could ask for will have come down significantly from then I would imagine as I think McInnes only has one year left on his contract.  

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Any compensation Aberdeen could ask for will have come down significantly from then I would imagine as I think McInnes only has one year left on his contract.  

True, but he only had a year or two left on his contract when Sunderland came calling, and he signed a new deal within weeks of rejecting them.

Agree it would probably not as high as that now (his stock has probably went down a bit since then) but imagine will still cost SFA a bit to get him (even if it’s just a year, as hardly like a player when clubs can buy their time and get them for free... Sfa will be wanting a fast deal).

Lack of info seems to point to Clarke (hopefully) or at least McInnes. Both would be reluctant to go public before such an important week.

Understand the current delay but it never should’ve got to this.  it’s the near month it took to sack McLeish that’s the total joke. Arguably the single most important task the blazers have and it didn’t even warrant a special meeting. Complete shambles. Top clubs go through the whole process in a couple of days.

1 minute ago, Marty said:

Lack of info seems to point to Clarke (hopefully) or at least McInnes. Both would be reluctant to go public before such an important week.

Understand the current delay but it never should’ve got to this.  it’s the near month it took to sack McLeish that’s the total joke. Arguably the single most important task the blazers have and it didn’t even warrant a special meeting. Complete shambles. Top clubs go through the whole process in a couple of days.

Agreed.  Also who will take the taem for the narrow win v Cyprus and the arse raping by Belgium.?? 

7 minutes ago, Marty said:

Would you rather they waited until the end of the season to announce a good manager or employ some out of work has been and announce it now? 

Your second paragraph completely contradicts your first one so I’m not really sure what you think the best course of action would be. 

If a deal has more or less been agreed with Clarke or McInnes and the new manager wants to wait until the league is over what’s the problem? He’s not going to start working for us until he’s finished with Aberdeen/Kilmarnock anyway.  

Could have had clarke signed up six weeks ago. Killie  would have let him see the season out

Either way the delay sacking mcleish was shambolic and also pretty horrible for McLeish himself with all the speculation and innuendo. 

12 minutes ago, Marty said:

Could have had clarke signed up six weeks ago. Killie  would have let him see the season out

Either way the delay sacking mcleish was shambolic and also pretty horrible for McLeish himself with all the speculation and innuendo. 

The SFA can’t just breenge in and offer someone who’s already under contract a job. Permission has to be granted and negotiations have to take place. These can take days or even weeks depending on compensation and salary demands etc. 

For all we know Clarke or McInnes agreed a contract weeks ago and just don’t want it announced yet. Seems unlikely there wouldn’t be a leak but who knows?

A good appointment is far better than a rushed one. 

16 hours ago, wanderer said:

According to BBC sportsound last night the list has been narrowed to 4 candidates (named no names, but safe to assume it’s Clarke, McInnes, Moyes and Gemmill)

A short-list of 4...that doesn't include any 'out-the-box' type thinking, or even a foreigner, is just typical SFA bullshit

Just now, ONeils4oyarder said:

A short-list of 4...that doesn't include any 'out-the-box' type thinking, or even a foreigner, is just typical SFA bullshit

Take any "foreigner" that the media link with us with a pinch of salt (as usually the "approach" is nothing more than a agent making an inquiry on their clients behalf)... I do not think there has been any serious approach from some of the "names" linked with us (Marc Wilmont has just been appointed manager of Iran today... and this was after they paid a fortune for Klinsmann and his agent to fly out to Dubai for talks about the job a few weeks ago)

Completely agree...our national association is lead by the hand in these things, by the media. The only time we've ever really thought outside the box was with Berti Vogts, and because that didn't work out the way we all wanted it to, the SFA seem utterly terrified of making a decision that might not get universal backing in the media.

3 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Completely agree...our national association is lead by the hand in these things, by the media. The only time we've ever really thought outside the box was with Berti Vogts, and because that didn't work out the way we all wanted it to, the SFA seem utterly terrified of making a decision that might not get universal backing in the media.

Agree to an extent, but SFA can only appoint based on whats available and who approaches, but if they have to pay to get someone out of a job, think they would rather play it closer to home.

Would be great if they went out and got a name like we did with Vogts (but remember, nobody was climbing over themselves to get the job back them.....and the alternatives were Scala, Troussier and Bruce Rioch... nobody within Scottish football wanted the job) but I do not think its a case of being "terrified" more no serious offers of note have came their way (ie Record saying they have it from a "source close to Bilic" is waiting for their call or that they "have it on good authority" that Bruce Arena is sitting by the phone for the call).

10 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

why do we need to wait on someone coming to us? Headhunting is carried out in every profession, the world over.

I want the SFA to do their job properly and get the best person for the job, not the best one that shows an interest, or the best Scotsman that we can coax

I ve told Dickov he will be head hunted.   Dickov's head will be hunted.     Dick head I suppose.