Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 111 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes okay I see what you are saying and are correct but commitment to the cause, passion to play and desire to represent Scotland all has to be there and the new manager will also have that task making sure he can drill that into the squad and the team once it goes out onto the pitch. In recent matches that has been lacking.

Absolutely. That’s half the battle in my opinion. We punched above our weight for years and a lot of that was down to the passion that our players had for pulling on the dark blue jersey. 

I definitely think we’ve lost a bit of that over the last 20-30 years by capping a lot of English players. I’m not referring to Scots that happen to have been born in England. I mean actual Englishmen who happen to have a Scottish granny that they probably never even met. We’ve probably done that discussion to death on here though. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely. That’s half the battle in my opinion. We punched above our weight for years and a lot of that was down to the passion that our players had for pulling on the dark blue jersey. 

I definitely think we’ve lost a bit of that over the last 20-30 years by capping a lot of English players. I’m not referring to Scots that happen to have been born in England. I mean actual Englishmen who happen to have a Scottish granny that they probably never even met. We’ve probably done that discussion to death on here though. 

No I don't buy into that as a reason. I mean Northern Ireland often specialize in getting English players in with Northern Irish connections but it hasn't stopped them from making their mark and qualifying for tournaments. Lack of passion/effort/commitment can and often does come from other sources. Players that are Jack the Lad-types, mavericks a=nd who do not take the task in hand or their careers professionally enough.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I don't buy into that as a reason. I mean Northern Ireland often specialize in getting English players in with Northern Irish connections but it hasn't stopped them from making their mark and qualifying for tournaments. Lack of passion/effort/commitment can and often does come from other sources. Players that are Jack the Lad-types, mavericks a=nd who do not take the task in hand or their careers professionally enough.

I definitely think it’s a reason. I agree there are other reasons though. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You have a screw loose you really do. Or is it that you have a huge crush on Paul Dickov?

Two managerial jobs in lower leagues in England and has lost more matches than he has won. G T F

He’s at it as per usual. 

Not even Bonny would be happy with Dickov being appointed. He thinks it’s funny to keep saying it for some reason. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Although I would like to see grandparent eligibility abolished it has to be said that James Morrison (a "granny rule" player) has shown more commitment and enthusiasm towards our national team than some born and bred Scots players have.

32 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Although I would like to see grandparent eligibility abolished it has to be said that James Morrison (a "granny rule" player) has shown more commitment and enthusiasm towards our national team than some born and bred Scots players have.

I’m sure there are others as well but the fact is there are a lot of people who have had caps and have never set foot in Scotland prior to being selected. Even some of those guys have tried hard for us but did they have the fire in the belly that we probably need to be successful?

The grandparent rule is contentious and I’m not sure if if should be abolished or not but it would be good if there was a way of weeding out the CV enhancers from the guys that really want to play for us. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure there are others as well but the fact is there are a lot of people who have had caps and have never set foot in Scotland prior to being selected. Even some of those guys have tried hard for us but did they have the fire in the belly that we probably need to be successful?

The grandparent rule is contentious and I’m not sure if if should be abolished or not but it would be good if there was a way of weeding out the CV enhancers from the guys that really want to play for us. 

"Fire in the belly" does not win football matches. 

Vogts picked plenty of lads who had "fire in the belly" such as Lee Wilkie, Rab Douglas, Stevie Crawford, Maurice Ross, Steven Thompson, Scott Severin, Kevin Kyle, Michael Stewart and Stephen Crainey but none of whom were good enough for international football.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

"Fire in the belly" does not win football matches. 

Vogts picked plenty of lads who had "fire in the belly" such as Lee Wilkie, Rab Douglas, Stevie Crawford, Maurice Ross, Steven Thompson, Scott Severin, Kevin Kyle, Michael Stewart and Stephen Crainey but none of whom were good enough for international football.

Of course it doesn’t. Not on its own. It can elevate good players to a higher level though. 

Being passionate about the team you play for can’t be a bad thing and you are more likely to be passionate about playing for Scotland if you are actually Scottish. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, Texas Pete said:

He’d be nowhere near as bad as Levein.

McInnes is a good manager and Levein is a useless twat. 

Levein and McInnes are both good club managers.  But that's where they are able to build squads and develop players and have done well at middle sized clubs.  I don't think either have shown themselves to be particularly tactical astute or supreme motivators and that's probably more important in an international manager.

You can't underestimate what a shambles Dundee Utd were before Levein came in back in 2006.  However, we all thought Scotland wasn't his type of job, and so it proved.  I reckon McInnes is the same.

6 hours ago, adamntg said:

Levein and McInnes are both good club managers.  But that's where they are able to build squads and develop players and have done well at middle sized clubs.  I don't think either have shown themselves to be particularly tactical astute or supreme motivators and that's probably more important in an international manager.

You can't underestimate what a shambles Dundee Utd were before Levein came in back in 2006.  However, we all thought Scotland wasn't his type of job, and so it proved.  I reckon McInnes is the same.

Isn’t that a bit simplistic? Lots of different types of managers have been successful at international level. 

I’m also not sure how you can describe Levein as a good club manager if he’s not tactically astute.

Admittedly, my naming of Levein as a clueless twat is based on his time as Scotland manager and the fact I don’t like the man (although he made an arse of the Leicester job IIRC?). He has obviously been relatively successful with United and Hearts without doing anything groundbreaking. 

I always felt Levein was more suited to a director of football role and should be kept away from the training ground and dugout. 

ODDSCHECKER: Now 4/6 ON for Steve Clarke, Derek McInnes 11/10. Moyes is next at 16.... others 25 to 30. It is 3 weeks to next game and no squad announced.... this is getting ridiculous!

THE PROBLEM: In my opinion, it is the total tardiness and lack of information of the SFA camel coats. The criticism they have received from various football people and pundits in totally deserved. THEY ARE A LARGE PART OF THE PROBLEM. IMPORTANT DECISIONS BUT DISCONNECTED FROM THE REAL WORLD CAMEL COAT PRAWN CANAPE SCOFFING SILVER SPOON UP YER PRIVATE SCHOOL ARSE BRIGADE....