Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 109 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

43 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

I’m sure that Dons fans weren’t overly bothered about that, just as most of us on here wouldn’t be overly bothered if we won the playoff final on penalties.

A cup win is a cup win and there hasn’t been too many teams in recent years able to show one off, however it came about.

I’d prefer Bilic or somebody similar but knowing that the SFA are highly unlikely to be that ambitious I’d imagine Clarke or McInnes is about as good as we’re likely to get.

In my book neither are the ideal candidate but neither would either of the two leave us completely devoid of hope. They are both decent managers. Clarke just edges it for me but I wouldn’t be ridiculously excited if he got the job or overly disappointed it is was McInnes.

The difference is that when McLeish was appointed, most of us knew (as far as you can ever know what the future holds) that he would be a complete disaster. It seems only Peat and his wee sidekick Petrie thought he might do well. It was never going to happen and the TA all knew it, and most of us don’t say this now purely because of the benefit of hindsight. It was blindingly obvious at the time.

This time it is different - if Clarke or McInnes get the job then sure we’ll all have our opinions as to how it might go, and whichever gets it might fail miserably or might do well. But none of us know in the way we knew with McLeish that it will be disaster, even if it turns out to be the case. Whoever gets it, we must give them all the support we can.

I do think the biggest problem we have is that too many people insist that a really decent manager wouldn’t take the job and that the Scotland job is a crap job because we are crap. Why? I really hate that attitude - why do we have to put ourselves down all the time?

We are a proud football nation, although a bit on our knees at the moment, and we do have a rich history and are still respected. For any good manager to take the job and be the man who gets us to a tournament for the first time in 22 years would seem to me to be a really attractive proposition. Can you imagine how he would be revered in subsequent years? I’m sure many managers would love to be the man to achieve this and to restore massive amounts of pride in ourselves as a football nation again. And worst case scenario he’s got a two match playoff to achieve this against teams of the same calibre as ourselves.  A free hit. Surely this is attractive?  The SFA in my view need to be as ambitious as possible and go for the best available. If they say no then so be it, but they might just pull it off. Just imagine Hiddink or somebody shocked all the doom merchants by saying yes?

T. L. D. R. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

The record seem to be implying the job is McInnes's. Supposedly the SFA have asked Brendon Rogers opinion and he's said McInnes. They will need to pay Aberdeen compo though

If this is true why are they asking that bellend’s opinion? What does he know about international management? The SFA go from bad to worse. 

In saying that I think McInnes would do a good job for us. Could the SFA not see that  themselves without talking to Rodgers though? 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If this is true why are they asking that bellend’s opinion? What does he know about international management? The SFA go from bad to worse. 

In saying that I think McInnes would do a good job for us. Could the SFA not see that  themselves without talking to Rodgers though? 

The sfa love the old firm ring pieces though. 

15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It must be depressing to be you. 

Things can change quickly in football. If the new manager can hit the ground running and we can take 4 points off Russia (and beat Cyprus obviously) then we’re back in business. Now that is a big if but it’s possible, if unlikely. 

Maybe realistic having seen our previous campaigns get spiked before they get started umpteen times has that effect ,  but you continue happy clapping - good for you . 4 points from Russia , suffering Jesus , have you watched Scotland at all ? 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

What evidence suggests that McInnes is even remotely suited to managing at international level , whether Rodgers recommends him or not ?

18 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Strachan in the paper today bleating about his reign being handicapped by not having a "star" player, hasn't affected Iceland or Northern Ireland too much. 

He kinda did have a star striker in thumb boy.  

12 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

Maybe realistic having seen our previous campaigns get spiked before they get started umpteen times has that effect ,  but you continue happy clapping - good for you . 4 points from Russia , suffering Jesus , have you watched Scotland at all ? 

God. Another one.

There’s nothing wrong with being optimistic. Doesn’t make you a happy clapper. I’m not clapping anything. 

To write off a campaign after 2 games when we’re just about to appoint a new manager is pretty stupid in my opinion. You (or I) have no idea what’s going to happen over the next 6 months. 

Russia are hardly world beaters. We’ve been to harder places and got a result. 

The sad fact is though we were always unlikely to get second place in this group, regardless of whether we beat Kazakhstan or not. That’s what happens when you’re in the 3rd seed pot. Won’t stop me supporting the team though. 

17 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

What evidence suggests that McInnes is even remotely suited to managing at international level , whether Rodgers recommends him or not ?

What evidence was there that Michael O’Neill would make a good international manager? 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

What evidence was there that Michael O’Neill would make a good international manager? 

He managed to get Shamrock Rovers into the group stages of the Europa league. Does McInnes have anything like that in his locker? 

18 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

He managed to get Shamrock Rovers into the group stages of the Europa league. Does McInnes have anything like that in his locker? 

It’s hard to compare since McInnes has never managed Shamrock Rovers but he did get St Johnstone promoted to the SPL after the guts of a decade in the first division and won Aberdeen their first trophy in 20 years or something and has finished 2nd in the league for 3-4 years. He’s done as well as could be expected of him at Aberdeen. I’m not suggesting this makes him a better manager than Michael O’Neill but I would say he’s as qualified as anyone  to be the Scotland manager.

I’m not Derek McInnes’ biggest fan and I’m not really in the business of defending him but if people can’t see he’s a good football manager then they don’t know much about football management.

If McInnes is appointed then I’d be happy enough. I think he’d do a better job than Moyes or MacKay. 

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bookies have given up.

McInnes is odds on with one and Clarke odds on with another

Different bookies will offer different odds based on the bets they’ve taken. Nothing new there. 

I’ve given up using bookies odds to judge what’s going to happen with these things though as they often get it wrong. 

Its pretty frustrating when we don’t know anything with less than five weeks until our next game. Hopefully they’ll appoint someone soon. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s hard to compare since McInnes has never managed Shamrock Rovers but he did get St Johnstone promoted to the SPL after the guts of a decade in the first division and won Aberdeen their first trophy in 20 years or something and has finished 2nd in the league for 3-4 years. He’s done as well as could be expected of him at Aberdeen. I’m not suggesting this makes him a better manager than Michael O’Neill but I would say he’s as qualified as anyone  to be the Scotland manager.

I’m not Derek McInnes’ biggest fan and I’m not really in the business of defending him but if people can’t see he’s a good football manager then they don’t know much about football management.

If McInnes is appointed then I’d be happy enough. I think he’d do a better job than Moyes or MacKay. 

Well as a comparison, I'd say Aberdeen should be much closer to the Europa League than Shamrock Rovers surely, but they've been nowhere near it. I'd also say that just because he did what was expected of him, doesn't really say much. The years they finished 2nd, they were expected to be 2nd, it's not like they were close to causing an upset. Using the Scottish Premiership as a barometer for the national job is just wrong, we should be looking to someone who has a bit of form at a higher level. How has McInnes record in Europe been since being at Aberdeen, that's where he should be judged. And, as I said to someone earlier, if he's a good manager then fine, please explain to me why, let me know what I'm missing.

7 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Well as a comparison, I'd say Aberdeen should be much closer to the Europa League than Shamrock Rovers surely, but they've been nowhere near it. I'd also say that just because he did what was expected of him, doesn't really say much. The years they finished 2nd, they were expected to be 2nd, it's not like they were close to causing an upset. Using the Scottish Premiership as a barometer for the national job is just wrong, we should be looking to someone who has a bit of form at a higher level. How has McInnes record in Europe been since being at Aberdeen, that's where he should be judged. And, as I said to someone earlier, if he's a good manager then fine, please explain to me why, let me know what I'm missing.

I’m not repeating myself. If you want to know why I think McInnes is a good manager, refer to my previous post. 

Shamrock Rovers qualifying for the Europa League group stages can’t really be compared to Aberdeen in Europe in recent years because Rovers qualified for it through the champions league route. They got knocked out of the CL qualifiers so only had to play one Europa League qualifier. Against a poor Partisan Belgrade team if I remember correctly. Not that I think qualifying for it wasn’t an excellent achievement. 

Aberdeen were a baw hair from knocking an EPL team out of the qualifiers this season. If they had done that and qualified for the group stages would you consider McInnes as good enough then? He would still be the same person with the same skills. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not repeating myself. If you want to know why I think McInnes is a good manager, refer to my previous post. 

Shamrock Rovers qualifying for the Europa League group stages can’t really be compared to Aberdeen in Europe in recent years because Rovers qualified for it through the champions league route. They got knocked out of the CL qualifiers so only had to play one Europa League qualifier. Against a poor Partisan Belgrade team if I remember correctly. Not that I think qualifying for it wasn’t an excellent achievement. 

Aberdeen were a baw hair from knocking an EPL team out of the qualifiers this season. If they had done that and qualified for the group stages would you consider McInnes as good enough then? He would still be the same person with the same skills. 

Possibly, but they didn't. I take your point, but I just don't think he's shown any where near enough to be considered. I'm happy to be proven wrong however. 👍

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

Possibly, but they didn't. I take your point, but I just don't think he's shown any where near enough to be considered. I'm happy to be proven wrong however. 👍

So someone who has taken his side to second in the Scottish top division for 4 years (and ran Celtic fairly close in one of those years) including a season when Rangers were back in the division and heavily outspent Aberdeen, who is also one of a only handful of managers to have won a trophy in Scotland in the last 5 years doesn’t even warrant consideration? 

Dearie me. 

32 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

So someone who has taken his side to second in the Scottish top division for 4 years (and ran Celtic fairly close in one of those years) including a season when Rangers were back in the division and heavily outspent Aberdeen, who is also one of a only handful of managers to have won a trophy in Scotland in the last 5 years doesn’t even warrant consideration? 

Dearie me. 

You say "Scottish top division" like it means something. He did what he was expected to do in a piss poor league. I don't think that qualifies you for the national job, so no I don't think he warrants consideration.

12 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

You say "Scottish top division" like it means something. He did what he was expected to do in a piss poor league. I don't think that qualifies you for the national job, so no I don't think he warrants consideration.

So you slate the Scottish league as if it’s nothing but think our national manager should be some fantastic manager as if the Scotland job was something special?

You’re sounding dafter and dafter by the post. 

On Radio yesterday everyone was basically saying it’s between McInnes and Clarke (just a case of paying to get them), with Billy Dodds the only one backing Gemmill (and to a degree MacKay) to the hill.