Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 108 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

57 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Clarke wins manager of the year and nominated for writers award, but McInnes gets the job. Being the SFA, that would not surprise me

You say that like Clarke wants the job. He’s as much as said he wants to move back to England because his family live there. He also hates the ‘amateurish’ SFA.  

Believe it or not, most decent managers wouldn’t  touch the Scotland job with a shitty stick and if McInnes wants it, I’d be happy with him. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You say that like Clarke wants the job. He’s as much as said he wants to move back to England because his family live there. He also hates the ‘amateurish’ SFA.  

Believe it or not, most decent managers wouldn’t  touch the Scotland job with a shitty stick and if McInnes wants it, I’d be happy with him. 

He pretty much has said he wants it by not ruling himself out when given a direct opportunity regularly over the last month.  In this type of situation that's the best you get.  Some say explicitly they don't want it but none says, yes I really want it now, apart from Yogi Hughes.

He's the best candidate and can easily live in England and do the job.

5 minutes ago, Marty said:

He pretty much has said he wants it by not ruling himself out when given a direct opportunity regularly over the last month.  In this type of situation that's the best you get.  Some say explicitly they don't want it but none says, yes I really want it now, apart from Yogi Hughes.

He's the best candidate and can easily live in England and do the job.

He pretty much said nothing of the sort. 

He didn't completely rule himself out as he probably didn’t want to sound disrespectful to the job or the country and he would probably want it one day. The same way Moyes didn’t rule himself out last time but he clearly didn’t want it then.  

Clarke might want it and he might not. I don’t think we can confirm one way or another based on what he has said in the last couple of weeks. 

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

As has been mentioned, the Scotland job would suit him, with his family down south as it's a part time role on the whole (wasn't Strachan still living in Southampton when he was manager?)

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

1 minute ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

As has been mentioned, the Scotland job would suit him, with his family down south as it's a part time role on the whole (wasn't Strachan still living in Southampton when he was manager?)

That doesn’t mean he wants it though. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He pretty much said nothing of the sort. 

He didn't completely rule himself out as he probably didn’t want to sound disrespectful to the job or the country and he would probably want it one day. The same way Moyes didn’t rule himself out last time but he clearly didn’t want it then.  

Clarke might want it and he might not. I don’t think we can confirm one way or another based on what he has said in the last couple of weeks. 

I think he wants it.  Plenty managers have ruled themselves out in the past, and this time. 

Fair enough, we can't be sure he wants it but the important question is  - do you think he should be offered it before McInnes?

Just now, Marty said:

I think he wants it.  Plenty managers have ruled themselves out in the past, and this time. 

Fair enough, we can't be sure he wants it but the important question is  - do you think he should be offered it before McInnes?

I think the majority of fans (myself included) would much rather have Clarke over McInnes.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

I think the majority of fans (myself included) would much rather have Clarke over McInnes.

Agreed.  Done better down south, done better up here, worked under the world's best.  Would bring much needed momentum as well as better management.  No-brainer.

2 minutes ago, Marty said:

Maybe he does and maybe he doesn’t.  I would be surprised if either Clarke or McInnes were that keen on the job to be honest. I would’ve thought they’d both still want to be involved in club management at the moment but who knows?

They are both much of a muchness in my opinion.  I would probably slightly favour Clarke but the way people salivate about him is ridiculous. He’s a good manager but he’s not exactly Pep Guardiola. 

Both are young(ish) and have modern ideas. They are the only two Scottish managers I would be happy to see in the job I think. 

Clarke is a bit of a mouthpiece though and the SFA probably don’t like that. 

8 minutes ago, Marty said:

Agreed.  Done better down south, done better up here, worked under the world's best.  Would bring much needed momentum as well as better management.  No-brainer.

How has he done better up here? It’s hard to compare based on budgets etc. but Aberdeen have finished second the last 4 seasons which is the best McInnes could have done in the league. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

He wouldn’t be an awful choice. Some folk on here need to get their heads out of their arses. We are not going to get Klinsmann or Mourinho or anyone of that standard. McInnes is a good manager. I would prefer Clarke but I think McInnes would do a good job. Hardly a groundbreaking choice but a good one. 

Apart from the cup final he won?

I don't think anyone's expecting Klinsmann or Mourinho FFS. However, I think we're entitled to expect better than the utter mediocrity we'd be assured of by bringing in someone who sticks 11 men in his own box when playing a big team. We need someone who's going to instantly get the respect of international players. I doubt if that's Derek McInnes.

As for the final he won, wasn't that against ICT? On the lottery of penalties?

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

How has he done better up here? It’s hard to compare based on budgets etc. but Aberdeen have finished second the last 4 seasons which is the best McInnes could have done in the league. 

Killie neck and neck with aberdeen. Do you not think that’s a bigger achievement for Killie? Judging by the end of season awards, the vast majority of football folk think so.

Clarke is not the best manager in the world but I reckon it’s clear he’s better than McInnes and the other options and scotland affording and attracting him should never be an issue.

Did he refuse you an autograph when you were wee or are you a season ticket holder at somerset park? Mon, tell us.

17 minutes ago, Marty said:

Killie neck and neck with aberdeen. Do you not think that’s a bigger achievement for Killie? Judging by the end of season awards, the vast majority of football folk think so.

Clarke is not the best manager in the world but I reckon it’s clear he’s better than McInnes and the other options and scotland affording and attracting him should never be an issue.

Did he refuse you an autograph when you were wee or are you a season ticket holder at somerset park? Mon, tell us.

😂😂😂 not at all. I have no problem with Clarke and would be very happy if he got the job. 

The improvement he has made with Killie is a great achievement. As was the improvement McInnes made with Aberdeen when he took that job. He also sustained it for 4 years. 

I would have no problem with either being appointed although I would slightly prefer Clarke.   

Good stuff. Agree clarke is better disagree it’s much of a muchness between him and mcinnes.

Just think the latter will be underwhelming and won’t fill stadiums. He’s done well consistently at Aberdeen but they are the third biggest club in the country and during his time hibs, hearts and rangers have all been in a mess. He would also be leaving them in a bit of a mess.

Better than a lot of candidates (and the last bloke) but doesn’t come close to clarke imo.

30 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I don't think anyone's expecting Klinsmann or Mourinho FFS. However, I think we're entitled to expect better than the utter mediocrity we'd be assured of by bringing in someone who sticks 11 men in his own box when playing a big team. We need someone who's going to instantly get the respect of international players. I doubt if that's Derek McInnes.

Can’t remember the final as I’m not an Aberdeen fan but they still got there and won it. 

If Clarke doesn’t want the job and McInnes does then he’s about the best we’ve got I’m afraid. Scottish wise anyway. 

I doubt the SFA will go down the foreign route but you never know. 

2 minutes ago, Marty said:

Good stuff. Agree clarke is better disagree it’s much of a muchness between him and mcinnes.

Just think the latter will be underwhelming and won’t fill stadiums. He’s done well consistently at Aberdeen but they are the third biggest club in the country and during his time hibs, hearts and rangers have all been in a mess. He would also be leaving them in a bit of a mess.

Better than a lot of candidates (and the last bloke) but doesn’t come close to clarke imo.

Clarke won’t fill stadiums unless we start winning games against decent teams on a regular basis. Anyone that comes in and does that will put bums on seats.

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Can’t remember the final as I’m not an Aberdeen fan but they still got there and won it. 

If Clarke doesn’t want the job and McInnes does then he’s about the best we’ve got I’m afraid. Scottish wise anyway. 

I doubt the SFA will go down the foreign route but you never know. 

And that pretty much sums up where we are and what we can expect. Utterly depressing.  :(  We don't even produce world class gaffers any more.

What happened to Bruce Arena!? I will be annoyed if he doesn't get it 

Joking aside, I think people need to stop being so critical, if its Derek then back him and give him a chance, after all MON didn't exactly have a great club career yet is NI best manager ever, arguably.  And, its not Malky Mackay or David Moyes which has to be a bonus! 

Anyway, until I hear it from the SFA, I am not believing people who are "allegedly" getting the job! 

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Nonsense. A win against Russia and we’re back in. 

Who are you kidding ? Even 3 out of 6 from Russia we're still well off the pace , having been humped by Kazakhstan , wouldn't even bank on us to beat Cyprus pre Belgium . No way are Russia dropping more points than us , we're done . Play offs are the only chance , and that's a big if

5 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

Who are you kidding ? Even 3 out of 6 from Russia we're still well off the pace , having been humped by Kazakhstan , wouldn't even bank on us to beat Cyprus pre Belgium . No way are Russia dropping more points than us , we're done . Play offs are the only chance , and that's a big if

It must be depressing to be you. 

Things can change quickly in football. If the new manager can hit the ground running and we can take 4 points off Russia (and beat Cyprus obviously) then we’re back in business. Now that is a big if but it’s possible, if unlikely. 

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe he does and maybe he doesn’t.  I would be surprised if either Clarke or McInnes were that keen on the job to be honest. I would’ve thought they’d both still want to be involved in club management at the moment but who knows?

They are both much of a muchness in my opinion.  I would probably slightly favour Clarke but the way people salivate about him is ridiculous. He’s a good manager but he’s not exactly Pep Guardiola. 

Both are young(ish) and have modern ideas. They are the only two Scottish managers I would be happy to see in the job I think. 

Clarke is a bit of a mouthpiece though and the SFA probably don’t like that. 

12 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

What happened to Bruce Arena!? I will be annoyed if he doesn't get it 

Joking aside, I think people need to stop being so critical, if its Derek then back him and give him a chance, after all MON didn't exactly have a great club career yet is NI best manager ever, arguably.  And, its not Malky Mackay or David Moyes which has to be a bonus! 

Anyway, until I hear it from the SFA, I am not believing people who are "allegedly" getting the job! 

I think both Clarke and McInnes are really good managers and get more out of their players than expected.

Think Derek would be a great Scotland manager, he is a really proud scot, good man manager and could be our J.Low

Unlike the other candidates he wouldn't be looking at it as a stepping stone to a bigger thing, I think he is a Scot first and foremost, unlike the others who all seem to regard the job as a way of getting back over the border...bizarre thinking.  

13 hours ago, Marty said:

Killie neck and neck with Aberdeen. Do you not think that’s a bigger achievement for Killie? Judging by the end of season awards, the vast majority of football folk think so.

really, on what basis is it clear he's better than Mcinnes? as much as I admire clarke he hardly ever gets the better of mcinnes in a head to head match, I think its only once AFC lost to Clarke's Killie.  I  think there is nothing between the two and I would be happy with either. 

As someone already said, MCinnes is Mr Consistent, he's kept Aberdeen in 2nd or 3rd each season he's been here and has given both cups a real go. Only Celtic have beaten AFC in finals which is hardly a criticism when there are no other cup winners to boast about recently. 

14 hours ago, daviebee said:

I’m sure that Dons fans weren’t overly bothered about that, just as most of us on here wouldn’t be overly bothered if we won the playoff final on penalties.

A cup win is a cup win and there hasn’t been too many teams in recent years able to show one off, however it came about.

I’d prefer Bilic or somebody similar but knowing that the SFA are highly unlikely to be that ambitious I’d imagine Clarke or McInnes is about as good as we’re likely to get.

In my book neither are the ideal candidate but neither would either of the two leave us completely devoid of hope. They are both decent managers. Clarke just edges it for me but I wouldn’t be ridiculously excited if he got the job or overly disappointed it is was McInnes.

The difference is that when McLeish was appointed, most of us knew (as far as you can ever know what the future holds) that he would be a complete disaster. It seems only Peat and his wee sidekick Petrie thought he might do well. It was never going to happen and the TA all knew it, and most of us don’t say this now purely because of the benefit of hindsight. It was blindingly obvious at the time.

This time it is different - if Clarke or McInnes get the job then sure we’ll all have our opinions as to how it might go, and whichever gets it might fail miserably or might do well. But none of us know in the way we knew with McLeish that it will be disaster, even if it turns out to be the case. Whoever gets it, we must give them all the support we can.

I do think the biggest problem we have is that too many people insist that a really decent manager wouldn’t take the job and that the Scotland job is a crap job because we are crap. Why? I really hate that attitude - why do we have to put ourselves down all the time?

We are a proud football nation, although a bit on our knees at the moment, and we do have a rich history and are still respected. For any good manager to take the job and be the man who gets us to a tournament for the first time in 22 years would seem to me to be a really attractive proposition. Can you imagine how he would be revered in subsequent years? I’m sure many managers would love to be the man to achieve this and to restore massive amounts of pride in ourselves as a football nation again. And worst case scenario he’s got a two match playoff to achieve this against teams of the same calibre as ourselves.  A free hit. Surely this is attractive?  The SFA in my view need to be as ambitious as possible and go for the best available. If they say no then so be it, but they might just pull it off. Just imagine Hiddink or somebody shocked all the doom merchants by saying yes?

Edited by DaveyDenoon

42 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

The record seem to be implying the job is McInnes's. Supposedly the SFA have asked Brendon Rogers opinion and he's said McInnes. They will need to pay Aberdeen compo though

Not read the article in question but I have no doubt that Rogers probably mentioned McInnes along with half a dozen others when questioned and the paper has conveniently forgot to mention that...