Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 107 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

6 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Miraculous??? Finishing 3rd with Killie is a miracle? Have a word with yourself...

...Clarke has done a great job with Killie, but finishing 3rd with Killie shouldn't be the basis of a Scotland managerial candidate (and yeah, I do know he coached at Liverpool, but so did Alex Miller and Gary Mac). If we do go for him, it really is just another indication of how far we have sunk, our lack of foresight and our level of ambition

It was with that group of players! We were rock bottom, no wins all season and looking like certs for relegation.

He's basically taken the same squad of players with a couple of new additions to top of the table the following December and changed the full outlook of the club.

I want him nowhere near the Scotland job though as I'd rather he stayed at Killie.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

It was with that group of players! We were rock bottom, no wins all season and looking like certs for relegation.

He's basically taken the same squad of players with a couple of new additions to top of the table the following December and changed the full outlook of the club.

I want him nowhere near the Scotland job though as I'd rather he stayed at Killie.

I said he has done a good job mate...probably magnified by the shite job that the previous incumbent had done.

Stuart McCall finished 2nd with Murderwell, but I'd never have considered mentioning him for the Scotland job.

16 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No they don’t. I’ve heard a few people say getting Killie to third or fourth in the league  isn’t successful enough and he was a failure in England. 

Some people won’t be happy unless Guardiola quits his job to become our manager. 

Certainly wasn't a failure in England. I'm pretty sure WBA would take 7th now....

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Certainly wasn't a failure in England. I'm pretty sure WBA would take 7th now....

7th one minute sacked the next perhaps West Brom wanted champions league football.

He nearly lasted a year in his next job at the mighty Reading.

The ultimate failure however had to be at Vila were despite being care taker and part of the set up the board decided Steve Bruce was a better option.

Kilmarnock must have had to fend of a lot of opposition and offered him a very good contract to secure his services.

His exploits at Killie won't have gone unnoticed and it will be interesting to see were he is after the summer.

He might well be the best option available but for some to see him as the only possible answer to our problems is naive beyond belief. Even worse there now appears to be people hoping that who ever gets the job fails so they can be proved right.

Our options at right back are better than our options for manager

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

7th one minute sacked the next perhaps West Brom wanted champions league football.

He nearly lasted a year in his next job at the mighty Reading.

The ultimate failure however had to be at Vila were despite being care taker and part of the set up the board decided Steve Bruce was a better option.

Kilmarnock must have had to fend of a lot of opposition and offered him a very good contract to secure his services.

His exploits at Killie won't have gone unnoticed and it will be interesting to see were he is after the summer.

He might well be the best option available but for some to see him as the only possible answer to our problems is naive beyond belief. Even worse there now appears to be people hoping that who ever gets the job fails so they can be proved right.

Look, we can't be too picky.  We need someone who can polish a turd.    This turd hasn't qualfied since 1998 (Clark's pubes weren't grey then) so we need  to get him in ASAP cause of the 2 games coming up.  

17 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

When did Strachan, Moyes, Bilic overachive massively?  

Moyes got Everton into the Champions League with a squad consisting of Nigel Martyn, Alan Stubbs, Lee Carsley and Marcus Bent and regularly finished in the top 6, something they've only did once since he left. Was also the one that promoted Wayne Rooney and signed James McFadden and Tim Cahill.

21 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Look, we can't be too picky.  We need someone who can polish a turd.    This turd hasn't qualfied since 1998 (Clark's pubes weren't grey then) so we need  to get him in ASAP cause of the 2 games coming up.  

We need someone in to try to improve us before the play offs , this campaign is basically just friendlies now 

58 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What must be remembered here is who is on the SFA shortlist (or likely to be). Ignore any fanciful or half decent candidate as the SFA selection committee sure as hell will. Clarke is one that is likely to be on it and is the one I would go for as he is less useless than the others the SFA committee will be considering.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

McInnes now even money.  Big move on the odds today.  

Would be a weebit uninspiring.  Did really badly in England.  Has done well with Aberdeen, but probably only a bit better than expected, and is leaving the squad in bad shape for next season.

McInnes still a better choice than McLeish, Gemmill, Mckay or Moyes, but Stevie Clarke has a better record than Mcinnes in England and Scotland and had also worked under some of the best managers in the world.  Should be Clarke.

31 minutes ago, daviebee said:

McInnes would be a fkin awful choice. Even worse than a Mckay/Gemmill dream team. I hope it's not true but it's the SFA we're talking about.

He wouldn’t be an awful choice. Some folk on here need to get their heads out of their arses. We are not going to get Klinsmann or Mourinho or anyone of that standard. McInnes is a good manager. I would prefer Clarke but I think McInnes would do a good job. Hardly a groundbreaking choice but a good one. 

13 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Mince in Europe and cup finals.

Apart from the cup final he won?