Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 106 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

The thing is, Steve Clarke probably isn't any better a manager than Gordon Strachan was or Davie Moyes or Slaven Bilic is they are all much the same standard, but that is the level of managers we can attract at this moment. All we can hope with the squad we have is that one of them can maybe get that little bit extra out of them. Unless we go get a Mourinho or the likes anytime soon there shouldn't be a major upturn of expectations from us. Unfortunately the job isn't that attractive to the highest calibre of managers so the merry go round will continue, therefore the standard of our manager will be similar to the standard of our players because in reality that is just where we are on the footballing landscape. All we can hope is that something just clicks like it did with Michael O'Neil at NI and someone can find a system and get that extra little percentage out the players that can give us enough to qualify. Who that man is I don't know but luck plays a large part when selecting someone from our list of candidates who are very much all the same standard. 

I've just glanced at this thread & a couple of thoughts on David Wagner (he's been linked strongly with the Shalke 04 job, but I don't know if that's a done deal or not yet).

His strength was very much what you'd probably call 'added value'. He was able to find cheap players who he knew would blend together & deliver his (somewhat complicated) coaching strategies & game plans. One of the first things he famously did with HTFC is he took the squad pre-season to some remote Scandinavian island with no technology available & left them there for a few days. The result according to all the players was they learned huge amounts about being dependent upon each other, valuing each other & so on. What you got ultimately was a squad that arguably was worth a lot more than the sum of its parts & who never seemed to know when to give up.

This season (& I think this has relevance to the potential for him to manage internationally) recruitment didn't work quite as it did in his first couple of years & the instability at the top of the club really seemed to scupper him.

Whatever country you're dealing with, you are obviously limited by ancestry as to who you can select rather than being able to scrat around 2 Bundesliga looking for bargains & I think that would be his undoing, at least until he has a bit more experience of managing bigger clubs.

Anyway, good luck whoever it ends up being!

On 5/3/2019 at 7:54 PM, wee-toon-red said:

Gemmill apparently received 75 call ups but only has 26 caps. Whether that’s 75 across all age groups or just the senior team I’m not sure but Langfield or anyone else won’t even come close!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/interview-scot-gemmill-on-partying-with-oasis-and-helping-shape-scotland-s-future-1-4758868/amp

That's a 35% success rate. Getting an average of one game in 3 isn't too bad.

Jamie MacAllister must have been in about 20 squads and only got one cap. I'm pretty sure the winner of this competition that we have invented will be a goalkeeper. Maybe Langfield? Could be others with more call ups and no caps?

Not sure how it's relevant in selecting the next Scotland manager though.

I am fairly confident that whoever gets the job will probably at least turn up for every game.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I've just glanced at this thread & a couple of thoughts on David Wagner (he's been linked strongly with the Shalke 04 job, but I don't know if that's a done deal or not yet).

His strength was very much what you'd probably call 'added value'. He was able to find cheap players who he knew would blend together & deliver his (somewhat complicated) coaching strategies & game plans. One of the first things he famously did with HTFC is he took the squad pre-season to some remote Scandinavian island with no technology available & left them there for a few days. The result according to all the players was they learned huge amounts about being dependent upon each other, valuing each other & so on. What you got ultimately was a squad that arguably was worth a lot more than the sum of its parts & who never seemed to know when to give up.

This season (& I think this has relevance to the potential for him to manage internationally) recruitment didn't work quite as it did in his first couple of years & the instability at the top of the club really seemed to scupper him.

Whatever country you're dealing with, you are obviously limited by ancestry as to who you can select rather than being able to scrat around 2 Bundesliga looking for bargains & I think that would be his undoing, at least until he has a bit more experience of managing bigger clubs.

Anyway, good luck whoever it ends up being!

If we took the wasters that let us down against Kazakhstan and dumped them on St Kilda, the temptation would be to leave them there.

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe his wife has chucked him oot?

He’d be able to spend far more time in the Netherlands as Scotland manager than he would as a club manager. 

Yeah that's pretty obvious. We can't be sure if he was being serious or joking and if he was being serious maybe she told him she wants him home all the time. Things will become clearer if he comes into contention for the job. 

On 5/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, Morrisandmoo said:

Everybody wants Steve Clarke. 

No they don’t. I’ve heard a few people say getting Killie to third or fourth in the league  isn’t successful enough and he was a failure in England. 

Some people won’t be happy unless Guardiola quits his job to become our manager. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No they don’t. I’ve heard a few people say getting Killie to third or fourth in the league  isn’t successful enough and he was a failure in England. 

Some people won’t be happy unless Guardiola quits his job to become our manager. 

Or Paul Dickov wins the euro 2020 with Scotland. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No one is suggesting any one that won't go near the job anyway,just our opinions on the realistic candidates.

Latest nibble in the bookmakers betting is for Derek McInnes

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Indeed some delusional stuff.

Steve Clarke is absolutely the best case scenario, regardless of whether people realise it or not. 

Hopefully he stays with killie. Far too good for these nuggets. 

I'll collect the tears once David Moyes is appointed. 

Id just like someone who is a great manager......ie gets more out of the players than the previous one.

For example did Moyes, Bilic, Dickov!!, ever get more out of their players than their talent suggests.  No!

But these guys do.....Clarke (miracle work at Killie), Ross (He changed the buddies from absolute dross into a really good side), McInnes is a bit different in that he is a more consistent manager, probably would beat all the shite teams but lose against the bigger teams.  Or is that his players at the dons?

I'd like any of these three, know the game here, are good managers(most aren't), get more out of players(what we need)

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:23 AM, bazmidd said:

The thing is, Steve Clarke probably isn't any better a manager than Gordon Strachan was or Davie Moyes or Slaven Bilic is they are all much the same standard, but that is the level of managers we can attract at this moment. All we can hope with the squad we have is that one of them can maybe get that little bit extra out of them. Unless we go get a Mourinho or the likes anytime soon there shouldn't be a major upturn of expectations from us. Unfortunately the job isn't that attractive to the highest calibre of managers so the merry go round will continue, therefore the standard of our manager will be similar to the standard of our players because in reality that is just where we are on the footballing landscape. All we can hope is that something just clicks like it did with Michael O'Neil at NI and someone can find a system and get that extra little percentage out the players that can give us enough to qualify. Who that man is I don't know but luck plays a large part when selecting someone from our list of candidates who are very much all the same standard. 

I disagree in part. When did Strachan, Moyes, Bilic overachive massively?  I mean what Clarke has done at killie is miraculous.  The players love him, they seem very fit now and well drilled. But overall they are really hard to beat.  I think Clarke is a better manager, just he hasn't got the big club cv, which really doesn't matter, ie ONeil with Brechin.

8 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I mean what Clarke has done at killie is miraculous.  

Miraculous??? Finishing 3rd with Killie is a miracle? Have a word with yourself...

...Clarke has done a great job with Killie, but finishing 3rd with Killie shouldn't be the basis of a Scotland managerial candidate (and yeah, I do know he coached at Liverpool, but so did Alex Miller and Gary Mac). If we do go for him, it really is just another indication of how far we have sunk, our lack of foresight and our level of ambition

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

We have qualifiers only week away and there is nobody in charge, could the SFA be anymore useless?

I suspect its going to be MacKay and Gemmill in as interim-managers for the next double header, with the new manager either appointed just before that game, or not long after.

Does Ian Maxwell not own a mobile phone, can someone show him how they work and get the call in to Steve Clark ASAP?

What he has done at Kilmarnock taking them from bottom of the league to Europe in 18 months is pretty impressive , as is the style of play which would suit the Scottish team .

There is no excuse for not at least sounding Clark out , why do we need interim managers when the club season is almost over ?

20 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

Does Ian Maxwell not own a mobile phone, can someone show him how they work and get the call in to Steve Clark ASAP?

What he has done at Kilmarnock taking them from bottom of the league to Europe in 18 months is pretty impressive , as is the style of play which would suit the Scottish team .

There is no excuse for not at least sounding Clark out , why do we need interim managers when the club season is almost over ?

Because the board have booked magaluf and they have to make sure all is OK for that first. 

They ll phone Clark from a shagaluf bar at 4am and offer him the job.....then each member of the board will get their hole on the beach. 

Edited by bonny78