Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 104 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I do not think Bilic was ever a realistic possibility, just simply a out of work "big" foreign name that was viewed as achievable by the Scottish media, but since then a few bigger foreign names have came out the woodwork.

Granted, more likely agents inquiring on behalf of their unemployed client, rather than anyone actually interested in the job (so hardly call giving a couple of minutes thought upon a request from a agent as exploring options), nothing new on this given some of the names we have had "linked" in the past.... Nevio Scala, Philippe Troussier (he might have even been interviewed at one point), Gerard Houllier, Bora Milutinović , Bruce Arena (he has been linked a number of times.... sure he was linked around time Smith walked away) etc....

Fully agree. I suppose it's easy to become naïve to the whole situation with all the piss paper talk flying around. I'm more or less resigned to expecting a Moyes appointment that we're going to have to live with.

I don't understand why the SFA didn't at least sound out Clark a month ago when they knew McLeish was on his way ?.

Clark is the standout candidate when compared to the others who have been mentioned  and seems to have  the  backing of most of the TA .If Ian Maxwell doesn't  contact him soon it is just going to piss Steve Clark off and he will tell them to stick it just as happened with Michael O'Neill.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If Malky Mackay is appointed I bet he'll fall out with at least three players within the first six months.

Somehow I just get the feeling that players wouldn't take Scot Gemmill seriously if he were made manager.

A lot of them have worked with Gemmill and he knows about those coming through and understands the international set up.

Moyes has managed more top flight games and players than just about anyone.

Steve Clarke has worked with countless top managers and quality players, had one decent season in England as a manager and now manages Kilmarnock, why do you think any of our players will take him seriously?

Now that Bilic seems to have gone Gemmill is as good an option as any.

Talk of Clarke wanting the Scotland job, doubt if Gemmill has ever wanted anything else.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

A lot of them have worked with Gemmill and he knows about those coming through and understands the international set up.

Moyes has managed more top flight games and players than just about anyone.

Steve Clarke has worked with countless top managers and quality players, had one decent season in England as a manager and now manages Kilmarnock, why do you think any of our players will take him seriously?

Now that Bilic seems to have gone Gemmill is as good an option as any.

Talk of Clarke wanting the Scotland job, doubt if Gemmill has ever wanted anything else.

Where did I mention Steve Clarke in my post ? Please point that out for me.

Can you name a number of these players Gemmill has worked with ?

Moyes is a joke. He won nothing at Everton and many of their coaches were actually glad to see the back of him.

He was a disaster at Man Utd, Sociedad and Sunderland and has proven himself to be an arrogant, deluded prick who thinks he's a top manager.

And don't anyone say "oh but Fergie rates him", yeah well "Fergie" also rated Carlos Queiroz, René Meulensteen, Ricky Spragia and Mike Phelan as managers.

Give it to Gemmill now.

Positives, he has never shied away from his commitment to Scotland. Believe it is true that he has turned up at more Scotland camps and not been selected than anyone else.

As stated above, knows most of the younger players who respect him, danger: Not sure about the older "know it all" ones who will probably withdraw anyway.

Negatives: it worked for England, so did Sven for a while and we followed suit with Berti 😫🤣

Doesn't have managerial experience but chancers like Moyes, Mackay, Lambert do, would ( could ) he be any worse.

Easy appointment for the suits and i wish he would challenge them like his dad would do.

Conclusion, refreshing change and someone with something to prove.

1 minute ago, Burj_Alba said:

Give it to Gemmill now.

Positives, he has never shied away from his commitment to Scotland. Believe it is true that he has turned up at more Scotland camps and not been selected than anyone else.

Got an HP sauce for that ?

Jamie Langfield turned for at least ten games and was never capped.

No idea if SG beats JL in benchwarming duties but as he was never going to get a game ahead of McAllister, McStay Collins and Lambert it never stopped Gemmill  turning up.  I am saying that in his present capacity then Gemmill is a candidate for the post but not sure if Jamie is .

Lets face it, Bilic and his ilk will not take it if offered ( or using it as stepping stone to somewhere more grand ) , so IMO the unknowns like Gemmill, Fletcher ( admittedly i would probably have added Faddy and K miller before there recent aberrations to this list) are my preferred way to go.

34 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Got an HP sauce for that ?

Jamie Langfield turned for at least ten games and was never capped.

Gemmill apparently received 75 call ups but only has 26 caps. Whether that’s 75 across all age groups or just the senior team I’m not sure but Langfield or anyone else won’t even come close!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/interview-scot-gemmill-on-partying-with-oasis-and-helping-shape-scotland-s-future-1-4758868/amp

4 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Gemmill apparently received 75 call ups but only has 26 caps. Whether that’s 75 across all age groups or just the senior team I’m not sure but Langfield or anyone else won’t even come close!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/interview-scot-gemmill-on-partying-with-oasis-and-helping-shape-scotland-s-future-1-4758868/amp

Excellent post

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Where did I mention Steve Clarke in my post ? Please point that out for me.

Can you name a number of these players Gemmill has worked with ?

Moyes is a joke. He won nothing at Everton and many of their coaches were actually glad to see the back of him.

He was a disaster at Man Utd, Sociedad and Sunderland and has proven himself to be an arrogant, deluded prick who thinks he's a top manager.

And don't anyone say "oh but Fergie rates him", yeah well "Fergie" also rated Carlos Queiroz, René Meulensteen, Ricky Spragia and Mike Phelan as managers.

I know you didn't mention Clarke it was a general reference to the way the board see's him

Like you and Clarke I never suggested Moyes, was just comparing their CV' s Moyes was a success at Preston and Everton compared with others and the teams he failed at have hardly set the heather on fire since he left. Clarke has never achieved any thing, basically drops down a rung every time he fails at a team

I can't be bothered checking who Gemmill has worked with in squads but he has certainly worked with all the current under 21 squad

Any way it's just my opinion that international management is different to club management and the only option we have is Gemmill.

56 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I'd question the validity of that statement.

If he's he's counting under 19, under 21 and B team call ups then that's getting silly. Dozens of players in that case could claim the same stats.

51 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If he's he's counting under 19, under 21 and B team call ups then that's getting silly. Dozens of players in that case could claim the same stats.

Derek Whyte must be up there in regards to this.....

19 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

If it were 10-15 years ago then Advocaat would be an option but I just think we should be considering yesterday's men like him and Sven Goran Eriksen. The candidate should have done something of note in the past 3-4 years IMO whether it be win something, qualify for a major tournie or overachieve with the resources at their disposal. After McLeish I don't think it's a good idea to appoint someone who has had in the wilderness for donkey's years or had repeated failures. 

Clarke is still the front runner for me. The only reason he hasn't been snapped up is because cretins down south either don't rate the SPL or haven't taken notice of his great work at Killie. I read that QPR were considering Tim Sherwood as a potential new manager. I'd have Clarke over him any day and it amazes me how incompetent club owners keep picking the same failures. Clarke is exactly the sort of manager that a club like QPR could do with. 

The thing about Advocaat is at least he is still working, and at a decent level. He also knows the Scottish game and if the story was true the other day, about willing to work along side young Scottish coaches, he could be a guide for the next one to replace him

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

The thing about Advocaat is at least he is still working, and at a decent level. He also knows the Scottish game and if the story was true the other day, about willing to work along side young Scottish coaches, he could be a guide for the next one to replace him

I remember him saying previously that he would need to get approval from his wife to extend his Sunderland contract and continue to work overseas although it was probably tongue in cheek. Hard to believe that the Little General is under the thumb :)

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'm curious to know which coaches? He took Steve Round and Phil Neville (his two most senior assistants) to Man Utd with him. 

With all due respect, winning nothing at Everton doesn't tell the whole story. Klopp has won nothing at Liverpool and Poch nothing with Spurs. During his time at Everton Moyes was the 2003, 2005 and 2009 League Managers Association Manager of the Year. Not bad for someone who is supposedly a joke.

Yes he (along with others after him) failed at Utd, Real Soc and Sunderland but I would argue that he did well at Preston, Everton and West Ham when you consider where those three clubs were when he arrived. He's not my pick for the Scotland job but to say he's a joke is a bit OTT IMHO.

Can’t judge Moyes on his spell at Man U given how they have fallen and guys like Van Gaal and Jose have t exactly done well.

Same with Sunderland who are and have been an absolute basket case of a club for a long time.

16 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I know you didn't mention Clarke it was a general reference to the way the board see's him

Like you and Clarke I never suggested Moyes, was just comparing their CV' s Moyes was a success at Preston and Everton compared with others and the teams he failed at have hardly set the heather on fire since he left. Clarke has never achieved any thing, basically drops down a rung every time he fails at a team

I can't be bothered checking who Gemmill has worked with in squads but he has certainly worked with all the current under 21 squad

Any way it's just my opinion that international management is different to club management and the only option we have is Gemmill.

The argument is all irrelevant. If you appoint Moyes you will have next to.zero backing from the fans. Which is a terrible position to be in.

16 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Regardless, I believe the point was that gemmil’s commitment and attitude to the national team over the years couldn’t be questioned unlike a number of previous managers and/or candidates. The stats certainly back that up and posts about Jamie Langfield and Derek Whyte don’t change it.

Doesn’t make him the man for the job but at least a valid reason for him to be considered.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Regardless, I believe the point was that gemmil’s commitment and attitude to the national team over the years couldn’t be questioned unlike a number of previous managers and/or candidates. The stats certainly back that up and posts about Jamie Langfield and Derek Whyte don’t change it.

Doesn’t make him the man for the job but at least a valid reason for him to be considered.

The journalist didn't provide any source. I wouldn't just take his word for it.

2 hours ago, Baz said:

Can’t judge Moyes on his spell at Man U given how they have fallen and guys like Van Gaal and Jose have t exactly done well.

Same with Sunderland who are and have been an absolute basket case of a club for a long time.

Right we're not allowed to judge Moyes at all on Man Utd and Sunderland :rollsmile: 

He's a shit manager.

3 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

I'm curious to know which coaches? He took Steve Round and Phil Neville (his two most senior assistants) to Man Utd with him. 

With all due respect, winning nothing at Everton doesn't tell the whole story. Klopp has won nothing at Liverpool and Poch nothing with Spurs. During his time at Everton Moyes was the 2003, 2005 and 2009 League Managers Association Manager of the Year. Not bad for someone who is supposedly a joke.

Yes he (along with others after him) failed at Utd, Real Soc and Sunderland but I would argue that he did well at Preston, Everton and West Ham when you consider where those three clubs were when he arrived. He's not my pick for the Scotland job but to say he's a joke is a bit OTT IMHO.

Look up Kevin Sheedy's interview after Moyes left Everton. They were fed up with his backwards conservative training, turning good young players from attacking mids into defenders and him taking credit for bringing youth through - in fact he only played them if there was an injury or suspension crisis, and he took the credit.

Oh a wee plastic plaque he got did he ? Grease up enough journlaists and fellow managers down the golf course and any cunt can win one of them.

27 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The journalist didn't provide any source. I wouldn't just take his word for it.

A source is irrelevant in this case. It’s well known that gemmil always used to turn up even though he didn’t get on the pitch and that’s really the point.

12 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

A source is irrelevant in this case. It’s well known that gemmil always used to turn up even though he didn’t get on the pitch and that’s really the point.

I hope your not a lawyer or something like that :-))