Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 103 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

7 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

I may be wrong but I am sure when Souness was being mooted radio clyde did a poll of about five potential Scotland managers and Souness came last after the radio clyde DJ himself.

One thing is for sure we need an appointment that doesn't divide the fans due to perhaps misguided views about their allegiance to one of the old firm. 

Personally I loved WGS. He was a true fan and was always keen to come over to us to talk on away trips. He lived and hurt with us when we lost. That's all I ask for. I'm not Xenophobic but the one thing that we have is pride in the Jersey. A Scot has more chance of exploiting that. I am trully ashamed of some of the posts (not necessarily here) about WGS.  I hope some people regret they got what they wished for and consider themselves at one with Regan. What are those balloons suggesting now?? 

But I have to reluctantly accept that the hoop supporters hated him from day one of his Celtic appointment and the Gers supporters hated him for ever being a Celtic manager !

Oh what an inclusive bunch we are.

The ones dismissing Moyes - who the hell do you think we're going to get ? Im flabbergasted and  impressed Moyes is interested.  

For the record I'd like Clarke but Moyes would be fine. 

Dont want to divide the fans, but youd take Moyes. That makes absolutely no sense, most rational fans can see that Moyes is almost as big a hasbeen as McLeish was.

You may not think youre being xenophobic, but Im sorry, you are. Maybe not intentionally, but still. Theres plenty of Scottish cunts who dont give a damn about their country, hell theres plenty who openly want us to get beat. Id rather have the best man for the job, regardless of nationality, theres professional pride, integrity, honesty that comes into play. Im sure Bilic for example wouldnt be saying, ach its not my country, I dont care.

38 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

I may be wrong but I am sure when Souness was being mooted radio clyde did a poll of about five potential Scotland managers and Souness came last after the radio clyde DJ himself.

One thing is for sure we need an appointment that doesn't divide the fans due to perhaps misguided views about their allegiance to one of the old firm. 

Personally I loved WGS. He was a true fan and was always keen to come over to us to talk on away trips. He lived and hurt with us when we lost. That's all I ask for. I'm not Xenophobic but the one thing that we have is pride in the Jersey. A Scot has more chance of exploiting that. I am trully ashamed of some of the posts (not necessarily here) about WGS.  I hope some people regret they got what they wished for and consider themselves at one with Regan. What are those balloons suggesting now?? 

But I have to reluctantly accept that the hoop supporters hated him from day one of his Celtic appointment and the Gers supporters hated him for ever being a Celtic manager !

The ones dismissing Moyes - who the hell do you think we're going to get ? Im flabbergasted and  impressed Moyes is interested.  

Strachan had two full campaigns and didn't even deliver a play off let alone qualification.  Replacing Strachan wasn't a mistake, the error was who he was replaced with.

Marc Wilmots for me, if, as is being reported by The Sun Newspaper, he is on the shortlist as he has a much better pedigree than David Moyes or Bruce Arena.  The only thing that worries me about him, is his lack of English but I don't see that being a major issue. 

Would anyone else be happy with Marc Wilmots? 

That is such an easy cop out. Strachan got us closer than for 15 years. Apart for one dodgy pass we would have got there. We were making year on year improvements with a limited resource pool without the likes of Robbo and McT there.  The progress was immense. A massive unbeaten run and we punt him. And what alternatives are we left with ?

To me those that wanted rid of WGS are intertwined in thinking with Regan so enjoy the fall out and suggest an alternative other than Clarke or Moyes and I'd support both but the fantisists think we can do better. 

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

IIRC Burley got the job after Gordon Smith was "blown away" by his interview. 

Gordon Smith was on Open Goal with Si Ferry last week and claimed that he wanted Souness but the board chose Burley. Maybe he's being revisionist to make himself look better but that's definitely what he said.

4 hours ago, WeeJohnny said:

You don’t think we should appoint someone who has an allegiance to Rangers or Celtic but you’d be happy with Moyes? Who played for Celtic?  

God almighty. 

4 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Marc Wilmots for me, if, as is being reported by The Sun Newspaper, he is on the shortlist as he has a much better pedigree than David Moyes or Bruce Arena.  The only thing that worries me about him, is his lack of English but I don't see that being a major issue. 

Would anyone else be happy with Marc Wilmots? 

I would be very happy with Wilmots.  Although the cynic in me thinks the SFA are stringing us along with these names before they  appoint Scot Gemmill. 

6 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

I would be very happy with Wilmots.  Although the cynic in me thinks the SFA are stringing us along with these names before they  appoint Scot Gemmill. 

This is not a direct dig at you mate, but this is typical of this board. Plenty on here willing to slate the likes of Clarke, Moyes and Gemmill, but give them a foreign name like Bilic and Wilmots and they all get excited. Now, I'm not against a foreigner getting the post, but what has Wilmots done to deserve the job? Even Bilic, he's looked on a as a successful manager, but it's years since he did anything worthwhile, but on the other hand Moyes has been more successful in the same time frame but looked on as damaged goods and on a downward spiral apparently. 

17 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

This is not a direct dig at you mate, but this is typical of this board. Plenty on here willing to slate the likes of Clarke, Moyes and Gemmill, but give them a foreign name like Bilic and Wilmots and they all get excited. Now, I'm not against a foreigner getting the post, but what has Wilmots done to deserve the job? Even Bilic, he's looked on a as a successful manager, but it's years since he did anything worthwhile, but on the other hand Moyes has been more successful in the same time frame but looked on as damaged goods and on a downward spiral apparently. 

Aside from the Belgium team (where he had the likes of De Bruyne, Hazard, Aldeweireld etc), Wilmots record both at international and club level are pretty terrible.

9 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Aside from the Belgium team (where he had the likes of De Bruyne, Hazard, Aldeweireld etc), Wilmots record both at international and club level are pretty terrible.

Aye, exactly. 👍

30 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

I should clarify that Clarke would be my first choice and that I wouldn't be against Moyes getting the gig either.

34 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Skybet have decided to chuck Advocaat in at 6/1 from 16/1 today

I know I spend to much time looking at bookmakers prices but they do have to lengthen some one else to justify a price change. This time it's Gemmill out to 7/2

Not sure what I'd make of Advocaat as manager. Initial thought is, aye great, then I think back to how poor Holland were under him, but then I think, was that down to poor timing eg that the old guard got old and that the youngsters weren't quite ready to step up.

52 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Skybet have decided to chuck Advocaat in at 6/1 from 16/1 today

I know I spend to much time looking at bookmakers prices but they do have to lengthen some one else to justify a price change. This time it's Gemmill out to 7/2

Advocaat would not be a step forward, he would be a massive step back, because if you remember at the end of his time at Ibrox, he was doing that good, we brought McLeish in to replace him.

If McLeish was seen as an improvement, that tells you all you need to know.

3 hours ago, csinclair said:

Thats a fair point.

From my POV, Im just sick of seeing the usual Scottish has beens.

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

Couldn't agree more. I was starting to think I was the only one who remembers Wilmots as the man who failed spectacularly to get all the Belgian mega stars he had at his disposal to gel and play as a team. I can't believe he's even on the short list. Martinez has done considerably better with the same group of players. Clarke and Gemmill should be miles ahead of Wilmots IMHO. 

Is David Wagner a realistic option or is he holding out for an EPL/Bundesliga job? I really rate this guy as a manager despite the fact that he had really tough conditions at Huddersfield i.e. no money to spend. Think he did well to get them promoted and keep them up one season. Not sure if the Scotland gig would appeal to him as he's young and probably wants another pop at club management. I'd certainly be putting some feelers out to see if he's interested if I were Maxwell. 

Edited by Saint4805

2 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

Is David Wagner a realistic option or is he holding out for an EPL/Bundesliga job? I really rate this guy as a manager despite the fact that he had really tough conditions at Huddersfield i.e. no money to spend. Think he did well to get them promoted and keep them up one season. Not sure if the Scotland gig would appeal to him as he's young and probably wants another pop at club management. I'd certainly be putting some feelers out to see if he's interested if I were Maxwell. 

He is to be appointed Schalke manager for next season so aye he's out!   🤣🤣

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48107737

Some mention of American coaches and I know he's not a contender but I always thought Steve Nicol might have been in with a shout at some stage. He was really successful as a coach in the States but hasn't managed over here, I don't know why , maybe his choice, personal reasons or whatever.

If it were 10-15 years ago then Advocaat would be an option but I just think we should be considering yesterday's men like him and Sven Goran Eriksen. The candidate should have done something of note in the past 3-4 years IMO whether it be win something, qualify for a major tournie or overachieve with the resources at their disposal. After McLeish I don't think it's a good idea to appoint someone who has had in the wilderness for donkey's years or had repeated failures. 

Clarke is still the front runner for me. The only reason he hasn't been snapped up is because cretins down south either don't rate the SPL or haven't taken notice of his great work at Killie. I read that QPR were considering Tim Sherwood as a potential new manager. I'd have Clarke over him any day and it amazes me how incompetent club owners keep picking the same failures. Clarke is exactly the sort of manager that a club like QPR could do with. 

Edited by Saint4805

Sky were reporting last night that we should have a compiled short list of those in the frame from the SFA today/over the weekend at some point (imagine someone within the press probably has some kind of inside knowledge and saving it for the exclusive on the back pages of the Sunday papers).

After being torn on the candidates for the job, for me it really has to be Steve Clarke. He just seems to fit. He improves teams, improves players and overachieves with what he has to work with, his finger is on the pulse with the players we have in Scotland and England and the ones coming through. He is also the only candidate that has shown any positivity about the job, stating it would be an honour to manage the national team and positive about the players he would have to work with saying they have the ability to get us to the Euros. It sounds like he would relish the challenge and really believes he could improve us and achieve something. The likes of Moyes on the other hand are making it abundantly clear the national team job would only be his third choice behind Celtic or a move back to England and there is no real genuine enthusiasm coming from him regarding the job. As for the foreign options it doesn't feel like any of them really genuinely want it either unless there is a lot of money involved which I don't think we have. Apart from maybe Advocaat who has stated he wants it but I'm not too sure how that would turn out, would our younger players relate to him, no doubt he was very successful in his day though at club and international level. 

I see any talk of Bilic has died flat on it's arse seemingly. Would be my first choice.

In terms of Moyes v Clarke v Gemmill, I don't see it being Clarke. I'd settle for Moyes and am not totally against Gemmill. But I also said I would settle for McLeish. So probably I'm not the best person to go by.

My point being is that disappointingly we seem happier to "settle" for managers rather than go outside the box. Your likes of Burley, Levein, Strachan all seemed like the logical next  the queue and I think Moyes fits this category so seems most likely.

Credit to them for exploring options if the likes of Advocaat, Wilmots and Arena are actually on the table, as questionable as those may be. It seems like everyone wants a sure-fire but also inspiring appointment which we will never get in equal measure. I think Clarke isn't a universally popular choice but probably the one most likely to please the highest percentage of folk.

28 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I see any talk of Bilic has died flat on it's arse seemingly. Would be my first choice.

In terms of Moyes v Clarke v Gemmill, I don't see it being Clarke. I'd settle for Moyes and am not totally against Gemmill. But I also said I would settle for McLeish. So probably I'm not the best person to go by.

My point being is that disappointingly we seem happier to "settle" for managers rather than go outside the box. Your likes of Burley, Levein, Strachan all seemed like the logical next  the queue and I think Moyes fits this category so seems most likely.

Credit to them for exploring options if the likes of Advocaat, Wilmots and Arena are actually on the table, as questionable as those may be. It seems like everyone wants a sure-fire but also inspiring appointment which we will never get in equal measure. I think Clarke isn't a universally popular choice but probably the one most likely to please the highest percentage of folk.

I do not think Bilic was ever a realistic possibility, just simply a out of work "big" foreign name that was viewed as achievable by the Scottish media, but since then a few bigger foreign names have came out the woodwork.

Granted, more likely agents inquiring on behalf of their unemployed client, rather than anyone actually interested in the job (so hardly call giving a couple of minutes thought upon a request from a agent as exploring options), nothing new on this given some of the names we have had "linked" in the past.... Nevio Scala, Philippe Troussier (he might have even been interviewed at one point), Gerard Houllier, Bora Milutinović , Bruce Arena (he has been linked a number of times.... sure he was linked around time Smith walked away) etc....

Edited by wanderer