Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 102 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

On 4/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

A few things. I agree with your mediocrity bit. However, Dalglish and Souness were only candidates in the fans' minds. Both, like Sir Alex, were both as quick as F*** to rule themselves out whenever the job became available. You say the players won't respect Clarke but that is guesswork. And you do realise it is the dinosaurs of the SFA selection committee who make the decisions here so prepare yourself for, most probably, an unexciting appointment. Youy won't and can't find a Sugar Daddy to buy the likes of Mourinho sadly and the SFA selection committee would still have to have their say in any case.

Souness was interviewed in 2008 but lost out to Burley. That worked out well. 

The only ‘exciting’ appointment I can remember was Berti Vogts. That was also a disaster.

I really don’t think we need a marquee appointment for us to do well. We just need a competent manager who is hungry for success. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Souness was interviewed in 2008 but lost out to Burley. That worked out well. 

The only ‘exciting’ appointment I can remember was Berti Vogts. That was also a disaster.

I really don’t think we need a marquee appointment for us to do well. We just need a competent manager who is hungry for success. 

Agreed.

But again that was the SFA chasing after a has been in Souness his career was well on the downward slope by that time. What is it with the clowns on that committee?

13 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed.

But again that was the SFA chasing after a has been in Souness his career was well on the downward slope by that time. What is it with the clowns on that committee?

It was Gordon Smith as chief exec who was pushing for Souness but the board chose Burley.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What does it matter? He was still an SFA employee with influence on the selection committee. Just another dinosaur.

If I understood it correctly, your point was that the SFA board were chasing another dinosaur in going for Souness? I don't think Burley would be considered a dinosaur at that point so it was actually the more modern option that the board chose. Still a disaster right enough so the specifics are not particularly important, though it does shine a light on how powerless the chief exec position actually is.

Who's this guy 67 year old American Bruce Arena who the BBC website are  saying is now a favourite with the bookies?

His knowledge of Scottish football and our players must be zero,  how does that qualify him to get the job ??

15 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

Who's this guy 67 year old American Bruce Arena who the BBC website are  saying is now a favourite with the bookies?

His knowledge of Scottish football and our players must be zero,  how does that qualify him to get the job ??

It's his international management experience apparently.  He took USA to 2 world cups 

5 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Former Belgium and Ivory Coast coach Marc Wilmots is under consideration by the SFA according to the Sun.

Id be happy enough with him.

The SFA are probably looking at him and thinking he is no Moyes or Mackay though.

26 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

This is exactly the kind of stupid attitude that sees us appoint guys like McLeish over worthwhile foreign candidates.

50 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Id be happy enough with him.

The SFA are probably looking at him and thinking he is no Moyes or Mackay though.

Despite his experience and that... American managers will never make it in the UK.... Remember Bob Bradley?

7 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Despite his experience and that... American managers will never make it in the UK.... Remember Bob Bradley?

American managers will never make it in the UK ? 

Care to explain that one in more depth ?

One failure doesn't allow you to write off an entire nations coaches.

American coach David Wagner done a respectable job at Huddersfield town considering the budget and players he had.

So what's worthwhile about pensioner Bruce Arena,  Erzat?

And by the way I would rather have had Bruce Arena  than Alec McLeish  after  Strachan got the heave  , I would probably rather have had ErzatThistle  come to think of it . That's how highly I rated Eck .

10 minutes ago, jamboman said:

I know Americans struggle with geography, but I always thought we were quite good.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

American managers will never make it in the UK ? 

Care to explain that one in more depth ?

One failure doesn't allow you to write off an entire nations coaches.

American coach David Wagner done a respectable job at Huddersfield town considering the budget and players he had.

Wagner is german. Born and brought up there. Played there. When he could not get a game for Germany the played a couple of times for the states. I never heard him say.."penalty shot" or "upper 90"

13 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Wagner is german. Born and brought up there. Played there. When he could not get a game for Germany the played a couple of times for the states. I never heard him say.."penalty shot" or "upper 90"

Incorrect.

Wagner was born in Germany but his father was an American GI and Wagner has US citizenship. 

What's wrong with American coaches ? 

17 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

So what's worthwhile about pensioner Bruce Arena,  Erzat?

And by the way I would rather have had Bruce Arena  than Alec McLeish  after  Strachan got the heave  , I would probably rather have had ErzatThistle  come to think of it . That's how highly I rated Eck .

Experienced and has managed at a World Cup. He should be considered if he has applied.

Slaven Bilić is still my ideal candidate though.

I may be wrong but I am sure when Souness was being mooted radio clyde did a poll of about five potential Scotland managers and Souness came last after the radio clyde DJ himself.

One thing is for sure we need an appointment that doesn't divide the fans due to perhaps misguided views about their allegiance to one of the old firm. 

Personally I loved WGS. He was a true fan and was always keen to come over to us to talk on away trips. He lived and hurt with us when we lost. That's all I ask for. I'm not Xenophobic but the one thing that we have is pride in the Jersey. A Scot has more chance of exploiting that. I am trully ashamed of some of the posts (not necessarily here) about WGS.  I hope some people regret they got what they wished for and consider themselves at one with Regan. What are those balloons suggesting now?? 

But I have to reluctantly accept that the hoop supporters hated him from day one of his Celtic appointment and the Gers supporters hated him for ever being a Celtic manager !

Oh what an inclusive bunch we are.

The ones dismissing Moyes - who the hell do you think we're going to get ? Im flabbergasted and  impressed Moyes is interested.  

For the record I'd like Clarke but Moyes would be fine.