Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 100 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Arguable.

newcastle

chelsea

west ham

liverpool

West brom

reading

villa

Killie

Not exactly going up the divisions with each move, even allowing for the transition from assistant to boss.

Chris Coleman's managerial CV was distinctly shite before he took charge of Wales and turned them around.

17 hours ago, gaz7 said:

you have just admitted yourself mediocrity. embarrassing. i support motherwell and stuart mcall got us to europe 3 years running and 2nd once but i wouldnt have wanted him anywhere near Scotland. you obviously think 3rd or 4th in Scotland is good enough. typical tartan army id imagine more interested in the piss up. wheres your pride!!!

My pride is in not being an idiot like you as you're clearly clueless. Where did I admit mediocrity? Doing very well with a club that are almost always battling relegation is the tip of the iceberg. I'm more interested in the work he did in England at the highest level with world class players against equally world class teams, or is that just mediocre too. Who do you think should get the job?

I don't subscribe to this Moyes has been a flop since he left Everton theory. Following Fergie with an ageing team and a newly installed Chief Exec who has proved to be shambolic and incompetent at running a massive club was always going to be tough. Taking the Real Soc job was high risk and in hindsight a bit of a daft decision given his lack of experience in La Liga. Sunderland was a poisoned chalice as he wasn't the only one who failed there in recent years. I think he restored his reputation to a fair degree at West Ham. They were in a real mess when Moyes arrived and he was the one who transformed Arnautovic and made them more organised. Pellegrini was given considerably more funds than Moyes who I don't think was allowed to make any big money signings. 

I'd prefer Clarke but if it turns out to be Moyes then I wouldn't be totally miffed. Interesting that Moyes took in two SPL games yesterday and is attending Rangers v Aberdeen today. Wonder if there's anything in that.  

Edited by Saint4805

34 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

I don't subscribe to this Moyes has been a flop since he left Everton theory. Following Fergie with an ageing team and a newly installed Chief Exec who has proved to be shambolic and incompetent at running a massive club was always going to be tough. Taking the Real Soc job was high risk and in hindsight a bit of a daft decision given his lack of experience in La Liga. Sunderland was a poisoned chalice as he wasn't the only one who failed there in recent years. I think he restored his reputation to a fair degree at West Ham. They were in a real mess when Moyes arrived and he was the one who transformed Arnautovic and made them more organised. Pellegrini was given considerably more funds than Moyes who I don't think was allowed to make any big money signings. 

I'd prefer Clarke but if it turns out to be Moyes then I wouldn't be totally miffed. Interesting that Moyes took in two SPL games yesterday and is attending Rangers v Aberdeen today. Wonder if there's anything in that.  

Totally agree with that. The geezers worst decision was to take man u after Fergie. He punched above his weight at both Everton for years and latterly West Ham. 

43 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

Couldn't agree more. 👍

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

However, it must be asked: Why is he unemployed and been so for some time now?

Because his stock has never been lower.

He's made no secret that he still has an itch to scratch where it comes to the EPL, so he'd probably leave us in the lurch at the first opportunity.

My point was that many peoples favourite choice could only get a gig in the back waters of European football. Moyes is well above that standard and is right to believe he will get a decent role sooner rather than later.

Having said that I think he will be our next manager with a get out clause written in.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

However, it must be asked: Why is he unemployed and been so for some time now?

Maybe he decided to take time out, maybe he decided to travel and learn other methods, maybe he's not had an offer he's liked, who knows? It's not likes he's skint and needs the work. Bottom line is he's the most experienced manager that seems to be in the running for the post and we're not exactly a catch at present. As I've said previously, he's maybe not my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset if he got it. Who would you have and why? 

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Having said that I think he will be our next manager with a get out clause written in.

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with that, if it meant he'd been successful and we were in the Euros next summer. 

2 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Maybe he decided to take time out, maybe he decided to travel and learn other methods, maybe he's not had an offer he's liked, who knows? It's not likes he's skint and needs the work. Bottom line is he's the most experienced manager that seems to be in the running for the post and we're not exactly a catch at present. As I've said previously, he's maybe not my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset if he got it. Who would you have and why? 

The time for him to be Scotland manager was during his stint at Everton. His appeal has fallen mightily since then. However, people want to paint it his career is on a downward slope and for me we should be looking for a manager who is sought after not on a downer as Moyes quite clearly is.

The reason he couldn't take it when he was Everton manager was that it would have been cutting his income by 65%. I know money isn't everything and we all have national pride but........that's a lot of £k. I reckon his wages at Man utd were 5x what the Scotland job pays. 

30 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

The reason he couldn't take it when he was Everton manager was that it would have been cutting his income by 65%. I know money isn't everything and we all have national pride but........that's a lot of £k. I reckon his wages at Man utd were 5x what the Scotland job pays. 

Yes but that was the time he had appeal. Now he is like a discarded three wheel pram on a rubbish dump.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but that was the time he had appeal. Now he is like a discarded three wheel pram on a rubbish dump.

Only to some. The bottom line is most people know sod all about football, they just talk a good game. All this downward spiral talk is a load of crap, at the end of the day it doesn't mean shit. You could easily argue that after being relegated with Sunderland, he has spiraled upwards in keeping West Ham up last year, but that wouldn't fit a lot of people's agendas. What about Mourinho? What if he applies, should we just say "sorry mate, you're on a downward spiral". So, again, who's your choice?

Just now, stevenmcn said:

Only to some. The bottom line is most people know sod all about football, they just talk a good game. All this downward spiral talk is a load of crap, at the end of the day it doesn't mean shit. You could easily argue that after being relegated with Sunderland, he has spiraled upwards in keeping West Ham up last year, but that wouldn't fit a lot of people's agendas. What about Mourinho? What if he applies, should we just say "sorry mate, you're on a downward spiral". So, again, who's your choice?

You can argue for Moyes all you like. He's your choice not mIne. Why? He's damaged goods whose last three jobs have seen him dispatched in double quick time. You can point to West Ham but ask yourself why he wasn't given the job full-time? And why has he been out of work for a year? Yes you can say he may have wanted a rest or that he's waiting for a job he really wants or whatever other excuse but I don't buy it. Football managers do not disappear from football for a year and then bounce back and be a success.

Who do I want is irrelevant as it will go to whoever the SFA selection committee muppets opt for and I doubt their list will contain names to excite. Of the names trumpeted around that are realistic options I'd go for Steve Clarke.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The time for him to be Scotland manager was during his stint at Everton. His appeal has fallen mightily since then. However, people want to paint it his career is on a downward slope and for me we should be looking for a manager who is sought after not on a downer as Moyes quite clearly is.

You really think we’re going to attract an establish manager who anyone else wants? If you want someone whose stock is high you’ll be looking at a very young and inexperienced manager. International football isn’t for managers at the peak of their power, it’s for people looking to make a name for themselves like Gareth Southgate, Ryan giggs etc, or it’s for people who are done at club level or who don’t want to be at club level like mick McCarthy, Michael O’Neill or Joachim Loew.

For example, jack Ross for category one and Moyes for category two, with Steve Clarke somewhere between the two.

18 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

You really think we’re going to attract an establish manager who anyone else wants? If you want someone whose stock is high you’ll be looking at a very young and inexperienced manager. International football isn’t for managers at the peak of their power, it’s for people looking to make a name for themselves like Gareth Southgate, Ryan giggs etc, or it’s for people who are done at club level or who don’t want to be at club level like mick McCarthy, Michael O’Neill or Joachim Loew.

For example, jack Ross for category one and Moyes for category two, with Steve Clarke somewhere between the two.

Look I have absolute zero confidence in selection committee - we'll get a bum. As sure as eggs are eggs it will happen. I am only hoping it is not another past it has-been. We have had enough of them of late.