Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 97 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

2 hours ago, bonny78 said:

why not?  was good enough for England

That was 13 years ago and he's now 71 years old.  He's struggled to last longer than a year in any of the 8 jobs he's had since then.  He's yesterday's man. 

There was a time that Sven was a decent manager, but that time has passed.  Saying that though, I may have preferred him over McLeish 18 months ago, but I believe there are better candidates and surprisingly compared to last time, there is more names talking about the position in the press and not just the usual Lambert's and Moyeses(?).  Scotland with a play off guaranteed is a better proposition than Scotland without, and as much as we would love someone to there for the journey willing to put in the work against the odds , coach's do want to be part of something successful, to look at us and think they can get us into a major tournament is a better proposition for them.

Edited by romanticscot

27 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

That was 13 years ago and he's now 71 years old.  He's struggled to last longer than a year in any of the 8 jobs he's had since then.  He's yesterday's man. 

71 is not the age to be working.

we need a young guy in.

Paul Dickov

46 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Nobody thinks Clarke is too young surely, inexperienced perhaps but not too young

Can't remember who said it but it was said on Radio Scotland, also on the Hampden Roar podcast that was linked on here.  

Why do some people think Steve Clarke is inexperienced? Are they new to Earth?

In coaching terms he was Gullit's assistant manager at Newcastle, he also had a spell were he was caretaker, coaching players like Alan Shearer, etc. He was Mourinho's assistant where they won two EPL titles, an FA cup and two league cups. In season 08/09 he was the highest paid assistant manager in the EPL whilst at West Ham. At Liverpool he was first team coach under Dalglish, coaching players like Suarez.

He gave WBA their highest top league finish since 1981. He was manager of Reading, but it was never a good fit. He was also assistant manager to Di Matteo at Aston Villa.

Is this is inexperience then Levein, Burley, McLeish, Strachan, etc, were newcomers to football.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

In coaching terms he was Gullit's assistant manager at Newcastle, he also had a spell were he was caretaker, coaching players like Alan Shearer, etc. He was Mourinho's assistant where they won two EPL titles, an FA cup and two league cups. In season 08/09 he was the highest paid assistant manager in the EPL whilst at West Ham. At Liverpool he was first team coach under Dalglish, coaching players like Suarez.

He gave WBA their highest top league finish since 1981. He was manager of Reading, but it was never a good fit. He was also assistant manager to Di Matteo at Aston Villa.

Is this is inexperience then Levein, Burley, McLeish, Strachan, etc, were newcomers to football.

Because a lot of people know very little about football and had probably hardly heard of him before he rolled up at Killie. 

30 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I'd bet a lot of money on that being the case.

Definitely. There will be people wondering why the guy who's only done quite well with Kilmarnock is deserving of the Scotland job unaware of his history and will be quite surprised after reading your post above. Someone the other day compared Clarke's achievements with those of Levein 🤔

3 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Definitely. There will be people wondering why the guy who's only done quite well with Kilmarnock is deserving of the Scotland job unaware of his history and will be quite surprised after reading your post above. Someone the other day compared Clarke's achievements with those of Levein 🤔

Seriously?! :lol:

If you really take stock of who Clarke has worked with and who he's coached I think it's clear that the SFA should bend over backwards to get him in. If they don't... I think we should all chuck it in.

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Seriously?! :lol:

If you really take stock of who Clarke has worked with and who he's coached I think it's clear that the SFA should bend over backwards to get him in. If they don't... I think we should all chuck it in.

Aye, exactly. In terms of experience, the only other manager linked to the job with as much experience is Moyes, who incidentally while not my first choice, I'd be quite happy with. I think he's been written off too early IMO.

52 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Aye, exactly. In terms of experience, the only other manager linked to the job with as much experience is Moyes, who incidentally while not my first choice, I'd be quite happy with. I think he's been written off too early IMO.

A few years ago I'd say yes, but I don't know. He's always flirted with the Scotland job saying that he wants it one day... but his stock has fallen so far that I'm not even sure he's in the frame. His confidence must be dented with the United, Sunderland debacle and not to mention his La Liga journey.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

The master of twisting facts.

He has managed three clubs and nearly won the best of the rest EPL in England in another., but still only survied a year and a half at West Brom. Caretaker at Villa and they decided Steve Bruce was a better option. Won't even bother mentioning Reading as that is self explanatory 

You stay in your little SPL gold fish ball were you think finishing fourth or fifth makes a good manager.

Forget who he has worked with add up how many years he has actually managed clubs. Then ask your self why? Also ask yourself why he ended up at Killie and don't say it was his childhood dream

Your probably think that club management and international management are the same thing, well that just shows an ignorance of the whole concept of people management. He has no experience what so ever at international level.

If they want to bend over backwards they can go for Bilic, if they want some one to bend over for them they can get Clarke.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The master of twisting facts.

He has managed three clubs and nearly won the best of the rest EPL in England in another., but still only survied a year and a half at West Brom. Caretaker at Villa and they decided Steve Bruce was a better option. Won't even bother mentioning Reading as that is self explanatory 

You stay in your little SPL gold fish ball were you think finishing fourth or fifth makes a good manager.

Forget who he has worked with add up how many years he has actually managed clubs. Then ask your self why? Also ask yourself why he ended up at Killie and don't say it was his childhood dream

Your probably think that club management and international management are the same thing, well that just shows an ignorance of the whole concept of people management. He has no experience what so ever at international level.

If they want to bend over backwards they can go for Bilic, if they want some one to bend over for them they can get Clarke.

Irrelevant. People are saying that he's "inexperienced". He is not.

Ew. SPL goldfish bowl? You do realize that I want to rip up the SPL and begin again, right? lol. 

He ended up at Killie because he was treated horribly by West Brom. There's a reason why Fulham are looking at him. There's a reason why Mourinho trusted him. There's a reason why Dalglish trusted him. There's a reason why Gullit trusted him. People are saying that he's inexperienced and he's this and he's that, but the fact of the matter is that he's worked with superstars, he's worked under a great manager and he's on a different level to the other names on our shortlist.

He has no experience at international level? I disagree. He's worked with top foreign players, he's coached them and knows how they work. This to me gives him "international" experience. And what international experience did O'Neill have? Craig Brown? You can only have international experience if you're given a chance. If every single international team only hired managers with international experience then it would be akin to musical chairs and eventually they wouldn't be able to hire anyone, as the ones with international experience have all died.

7 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

If Clarke (55) is too young, as seems to be received opinion,  surely Sven  (71) is just the right age?

Is that really the vibe up there?! Clarke has been managing club sides since 2012 and previous decade served as number two at Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool so more than enough experience to take a national team job now.

3 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Moyes could do a job for us. He’s gagging for another gig in England though and would leave at the first opportunity. 

That wouldn’t necessarily be terrible as it would mean he had done a good job but we’d be back at square one. If he got us to Euro 2020 then buggered off I wouldn’t mind. He’s not exactly my first choice though.