Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 94 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The shortlist is apparently McInnes, Moyes, Ross, Gemmill, MacKay and Clarke.  Colour me uninspired.

• McInnes, yes, but not exactly inspiring
  • Moyes, absolutely not, he is yesterdays man with an absolutely shambolic last 5 years, he is McLeish 2
  • Ross, not yet, I dont think he has done nearly enough
  • Gemmill, hasnt been a great success in his current role, absolutely uninspiring
  • MacKay, I would never go back, a sexist, racist, homophobic cunt
  • Clarke, yes, but Id be very surprised if they approached him, and he accepted it

Thats a pretty appalling list, they shouldnt be allowed to replace McLeish, if thats what they consider a shortlist.

20 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The shortlist is apparently McInnes, Moyes, Ross, Gemmill, MacKay and Clarke.  Colour me uninspired.

Mcinnes: Long ball merchant who would be Levein mark 2

Moyes: He always flirted with the job when his stock was high, usually saying that he "wanted the job in the future." - Yeah, well, that's nice, David, but we don't want you.

Ross: There's no chance. He has a project with Sunderland and there's no chance that he'd give up the chance of taking them into the EPL.

Gemmill: No thanks.

Mackay: No.

Clarke: Whatever it takes, we should get him!

9 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

Clark is the standout candidate from the list. 

Then there is absolutely no chance that the SFA will appoint him. 

Seriously if they want to get the fans back onside it has to be Clarke. I hope to feck that Macrae and Petrie are kept as far away as possible from the recruitment process after the shambles of McLeish.

Maxwell has to get this right or his time as CE wil be short lived. Been disappointed so far in his very low profile since being appointed. This is his first big test. 

McInnes is not a long ball merchant. There may be an element of playing to Sam Cosgrove's strengths/size this season but McInnes has played attacking expansive football with the likes of Johnny Hayes, Niall McGinn and Ryan Christie at his disposal. 

Clarke would be my pick but I do have a concern that he'd be using the job as a stepping stone and could be off down south if he were do to well. 

If we're going for a foreigner then I'd have David Wagner way before Slavan Bliic but I doubt either would be realistic or interested. 

Huddersfield have been worse since Wagner left and I reckon he could do really well at a bigger club with better players. 

Edited by Saint4805

I rather have someone get us to qualify and do relatively well at the tourney and then use us as a stepping stone than having someone be and do sh1te with us !  

If someone can get as performing and get us going in the right direction the job will become more attractive for the next man. Just give us a feckin tourney!!!!

56 minutes ago, kumnio said:
  • McInnes, yes, but not exactly inspiring
  • Moyes, absolutely not, he is yesterdays man with an absolutely shambolic last 5 years, he is McLeish 2
  • Ross, not yet, I dont think he has done nearly enough
  • Gemmill, hasnt been a great success in his current role, absolutely uninspiring
  • MacKay, I would never go back, a sexist, racist, homophobic cunt
  • Clarke, yes, but Id be very surprised if they approached him, and he accepted it

Thats a pretty appalling list, they shouldnt be allowed to replace McLeish, if thats what they consider a shortlist.

Out of interest who would you have on the list that would be realistically interested in the job, would be affordable and would be committed to their role mid to long term.

Not a pop at your comment just a genuine question - as i really think there wouldn't be many out there that would be interested and we could afford. Im not trying to justify the candidate list is great i just think its not that attractive a position to many overseas.  

7 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

I rather have someont us to qualify and do relatively well at the tourney and then use us as a stepping stone than having someone be and do sh1te with us !  

If someone can get as performing and get us going in the right direction the job will become more attractive for the next man. Just give us a feckin tourney!!!!

We knowwwwwwwww.............heeereeeeeesssssssssssssssss  Maaaaaaaalllllllky Walky

It’s gonna be him.     Wee Malky poops.    Tee hee.    This way to the fairground.  

28 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

McInnes is not a long ball merchant. There may be an element of playing to Sam Cosgrove's strengths/size this season but McInnes has played attacking expansive football with the likes of Johnny Hayes, Niall McGinn and Ryan Christie at his disposal. 

Clarke would be my pick but I do have a concern that he'd be using the job as a stepping stone and could be off down south if he were do to well. 

If Mcinnes has all of his players available, Aberdeen are far from long ball merchants but the tactic has been used against certain teams when required.

When aberdeen had Mcginn on one side, Hayes on the other and Rooney upfront we were very good to watch. Even better when McLean was behind them or Pawlett in the early days. 

None of the candidates are inspiring 

6 minutes ago, borojock said:

Out of interest who would you have on the list that would be realistically interested in the job, would be affordable and would be committed to their role mid to long term.

Not a pop at your comment just a genuine question - as i really think there wouldn't be many out there that would be interested and we could afford. Im not trying to justify the candidate list is great i just think its not that attractive a position to many overseas.  

Based in Scotland, the only names Id accept would be Clarke, McInnes and Lennon. So they are 2 out of 3 correct in my eyes.

I dont know who is interested, but my point, as it was when McLeish was appointed in 2017 was, I want this position to be treated like 99% of jobs in the world, open it to applications, you never know who will apply. 90% might be absolutely unsuitable, 5% might be unattainable, but there will be a small percentage that would be exciting, suitable and really keen on the job.

I dont buy into this jingoistic self defeating thing of 'no one would want it' I believe that to be nonsense. The same nonsense as people saying 'we dont have the players', no one thinks we will be world champions, but the squad we have should not be getting scudded 3-0 to Kazakhstan. 

The negativity is self fulfilling, and the SFA seem to revel in it, the media encourage and profit from it, and Ive had enough of it to last a lifetime.

7 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Based in Scotland, the only names Id accept would be Clarke, McInnes and Lennon. So they are 2 out of 3 correct in my eyes.

I dont know who is interested, but my point, as it was when McLeish was appointed in 2017 was, I want this position to be treated like 99% of jobs in the world, open it to applications, you never know who will apply. 90% might be absolutely unsuitable, 5% might be unattainable, but there will be a small percentage that would be exciting, suitable and really keen on the job.

I dont buy into this jingoistic self defeating thing of 'no one would want it' I believe that to be nonsense. The same nonsense as people saying 'we dont have the players', no one thinks we will be world champions, but the squad we have should not be getting scudded 3-0 to Kazakhstan. 

The negativity is self fulfilling, and the SFA seem to revel in it, the media encourage and profit from it, and Ive had enough of it to last a lifetime.

Completely agree 👍

On 4/20/2019 at 2:29 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

People here are just not learning their lesson.

The SFA selection committee will be lining up a manager whose career is on its way down and with low stock. Their shortlist will be of the ilk of Malky Mackay, Paul Lambert or if we are lucky add Scott Gemmill and David Moyes to the list. Not the sort of names to excite many apart from the coin spenders at the SFA. Dream on for those of you anticipating a far out foreign appointment or sought after manager who is still highly-respected.

Like I said....

1 hour ago, Saint4805 said:

Who cares if he uses it as a stepping stone as long as we get to Euro 2020. 

Yes, ideally whoever is appointed will stay for a couple of campaigns at least and will be successful but if someone comes in (be it Clarke or whoever), gets us to Euro 2020 and then fucks off to England, I won’t  give a rat’s arse. 

On 10/12/2017 at 8:46 PM, McExpat said:

Who's Next ?

Across the bookies the following candidates are mostly listed as the favourites,

David Moyes
Malkay Mackay
Alex McLeish
Paul Lambert 
Derek McInnes 
Scot Gemmill

with some terrifying & ridiculous wild card suggestions coming in the form of Allardyce, Coyle, Lennon etc

Who do you think will be the next Scotland manager ?

Who would you like to be the next Scotland manager ?

First post on this thread.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I said....

See above, everybody knows exactly what kind of person will make the SFAs useless failure list. Theres no prizes for getting it right.

11 minutes ago, kumnio said:

First post on this thread.

See above, everybody knows exactly what kind of person will make the SFAs useless failure list. Theres no prizes for getting it right.

True but it does not stop people posting up polls about who they want for the job which is totally irrelevant. As sure as eggs are eggs the SFA are bound to select somebody the fans don't want.

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Who cares if he uses it as a stepping stone as long as we get to Euro 2020. 

Yes, ideally whoever is appointed will stay for a couple of campaigns at least and will be successful but if someone comes in (be it Clarke or whoever), gets us to Euro 2020 and then fucks off to England, I won’t  give a rat’s arse. 

Is the bigger picture folk keep wanting is a total clear out / re-build from grass roots

short term gains/ ie qualifying for a tournament ( we know how that ends ) has usually been our downfall ; re “band aid” appointment 

7 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Is the bigger picture folk keep wanting is a total clear out / re-build from grass roots

short term gains/ ie qualifying for a tournament ( we know how that ends ) has usually been our downfall ; re “band aid” appointment 

I'm really sorry but that made me laugh re short term gains ie qualifying for a tournament and "we know how that ends". No mate my kids don't. 

Qualifying for a tournament in itself would have long term gains. Pull more in to the TA - we are dying out. Make players more likely to play for us, make the job more attractive, bring money in to fund a manager (and yup before you say it the money needs to be properly managed and directed but that's a different thread). 

11 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

I'm really sorry but that made me laugh re short term gains ie qualifying for a tournament and "we know how that ends". No mate my kids don't. 

Qualifying for a tournament in itself would have long term gains. Pull more in to the TA - we are dying out. Make players more likely to play for us, make the job more attractive, bring money in to fund a manager (and yup before you say it the money needs to be properly managed and directed but that's a different thread). 

spot on.  

21 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

a total clear out needs the backing of the clubs, the clubs won't budge unless the club fans revolt. There's no chance of that happening.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

a total clear out needs the backing of the clubs, the clubs won't budge unless the club fans revolt. There's no chance of that happening.

Likely not

but was a bit of a fan/club revolt that led to a certain club being in div 3.....as calls were made for dropping one league only

unfortunately apathy and club before country have ruled for a number of years now ( my personal belief is post mexico 86 ; souness era rangers - charlton ireland began polarizing of interests - bigger than exclusion of celtic players in 70s)

3 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Likely not

but was a bit of a fan/club revolt that led to a certain club being in div 3.....as calls were made for dropping one league only

unfortunately apathy and club before country have ruled for a number of years now ( my personal belief is post mexico 86 ; souness era rangers - charlton ireland began polarizing of interests - bigger than exclusion of celtic players in 70s)

There was a bit of a fan revolt, they were united and rightly so but every support was united there. This is different, there are sections in every support who not only don't care about the national side but they openly detest the national side and I am not talking about Rangers, i am talking about all clubs. 

The clubs have exactly what they want, all the power without having to worry about the national side. I honestly think the starting point has to be with us getting to a tournament to raise spirits and get some of the support back. 

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There was a bit of a fan revolt, they were united and rightly so but every support was united there. This is different, there are sections in every support who not only don't care about the national side but they openly detest the national side and I am not talking about Rangers, i am talking about all clubs. 

The clubs have exactly what they want, all the power without having to worry about the national side. I honestly think the starting point has to be with us getting to a tournament to raise spirits and get some of the support back. 

Didnt realize fans outside OF actually detested national team tbh

i dont expect anything to change really

from a selfish point of view ; the world cup coming to north america would be great opportunity to travel to games ; have had several failed plans to take the kids to a finals tournament 

thinking back to that 5-0 loss in portugal “ the night a team died” we ve had other inquests like that ( recently ) but its a repetitive cycle ; young sides show promise - go nowhere ; folk blaming ‘no ball games’ signs , teachers strike , ps3 etc etc