Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 93 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

This might be a stupid question and apologies if it's been answered before. But why are people so keen for us NOT to appoint Scott Gemmill?

Admittedly lacking experience but is a young and ambitious manager who seems dedicated, forward-thinking and willing to learn.

Not saying I think he should get the job but why are we quick to shut him off. Is the perception that he's another "SFA Yes man" ?

22 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

This might be a stupid question and apologies if it's been answered before. But why are people so keen for us NOT to appoint Scott Gemmill?

Admittedly lacking experience but is a young and ambitious manager who seems dedicated, forward-thinking and willing to learn.

Not saying I think he should get the job but why are we quick to shut him off. Is the perception that he's another "SFA Yes man" ?

I read an article about him this morning and the more i think about it as the day goes on the more im warming to the idea

If were thinking in real terms (wages on offer, attraction of the job in the market place, money the SFA would pay to get someone out of their current contract, who would actually be interested in the job etc) i really think the recruitment pool is really small a lot smaller then most of us think 

I think he would bring a fresh, forward facing and different perspective to the role that we havent had in a long time, he knows our current player pool well, he seems like he's got his head screwed on etc

There is a lot of risks associated with him though significant lack of managerial experience, not a massive name so could turn out to be a Cathro 

If he got it and got some really good assistants you never know. I dont think he's the best candidate out there but could be the best candidate out there who would be interested in it for the long term and be committed 

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

You've summed it up there. Some people on here are far too stubborn to see past their own agenda. I think if you had a poll for second choice a few would select him there.

For me International management has little in common with club management, by default you need some one with experience in that.

I voted for Bilic (although I have no Idea why his name crops up for the job" for that reason.

Gemmell has experience with a lot of the players in the current squad and even more some of the ones that we are suggesting for the future.

Big problem is his stature in the game as a manager, but that didn't stop Roxburgh, Brown, Bilic or Southgate.

42 minutes ago, Marty said:

Gemmill too risky.

Never had a big job and has an indifferent record with 21’s.

Wouldn’t be an appointment on merit. Would be a cheap jobs for the boys appointment.

There's an element of risk regardless of who is given the job. Even those with good reputations did not work out for us. Steve Clark will be a front runner but he could end up being shite like Levein and Burley

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There's an element of risk regardless of who is given the job. Even those with good reputations did not work out for us. Steve Clark will be a front runner but he could end up being shite like Levein and Burley

What’s your point?

So let’s not bother appointing the best candidate?

Just read an article about Scott Gemmill who I guess is the bookies favorite.  My opinion is, I want someone with recent experience, tactically equipped and a good man manager able to produce results with not allot.  Should the SFA believe that Gemmill is the man for the position, I do not want him given the to matches the try and see - if he is the man, get behind him.  Whoever else would get the job, would not be given a two match prove yourself scenario.

June gives anyone currently in a job time time to finish off their season.  If they can't find anyone interested, true it might be a position where they do ask Gemmill to step up.  My view is I would like some sense of continuity in the Scottish coaching, I would be supportive of Gemmill being the assistant with the view that there is a sense of progression that he gets promoted after the new current coach see's out his term.  This worked well for Craig Brown.  I think this is the best scenario, unless Gemmill is the best man available for the job, my view is he is not. 

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Only agenda is to have an appointnent based on merit.

is failure to succeed with the 21’s a good basis for success?

I suppose fishing fourth in the SPL is a better basis for success. No international  experience and no experience of the current crop of players (unless he brings Kris Boyd back) is a better option?

Been a bit of a move for Bilic in the betting today. Bilic and Gemmill as assistant would be fine with me.

All the other options are awful or pie in the sky.

2 hours ago, Marty said:

What’s your point?

So let’s not bother appointing the best candidate?

No that's not what I said, not sure where you got that from. 

Let me put it another way, from the list of potentials, theres a risk with al of them. I'd see the same risk with gemmil as I would with bilic or Clarke. 

With the exception of mcleish in his 2nd attempt, most fans were optimistic when someone new was appointed, they were almost all the best candidate at the time of appointment 

Who is your preferred candidate? 

1 minute ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Not sure what the clamour for Bilic is ? Recent saudi job appears dodgy ; and i dont think the mining of Croatian talent is relevant from a national team perspective 

I'd greet the appointment with bilic the same as the other potential candidate, give them a chance to see what they can do. Theres nobody that would get the fans excited because the SFA have made the job unattractive.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

No that's not what I said, not sure where you got that from. 

Let me put it another way, from the list of potentials, theres a risk with al of them. I'd see the same risk with gemmil as I would with bilic or Clarke. 

With the exception of mcleish in his 2nd attempt, most fans were optimistic when someone new was appointed, they were almost all the best candidate at the time of appointment 

Risk is increased by appointing a candidate with no/poor record.

Gemmill is less of a risk then me but a bigger risk than clarke or bilic. Gemmill has not done well with the 21s and has done nothing else.

Saying every appointment is a risk is just stating the obvious. Reduce the risk by making an appointment based on merit rather than a jobs for the boys one.

On the topic of Gemmill and his u21s record, the u21 manager, or any age group manager for that matter, shouldn’t necessarily be judged on whether they qualify for major tournaments or not.

It should be more about how many of the players they select ending up playing for the full squad. That is their number one priority.

9 hours ago, Marty said:

Risk is increased by appointing a candidate with no/poor record.

Gemmill is less of a risk then me but a bigger risk than clarke or bilic. Gemmill has not done well with the 21s and has done nothing else.

Saying every appointment is a risk is just stating the obvious. Reduce the risk by making an appointment based on merit rather than a jobs for the boys one.

I don't see gemmill as any less of a risk than those two, gemmill may come with less experience but that may not be a bad thing, he could have some fresh ideas, you or I have no idea what he will bring to the table. 

Bilic will be like mcliesh, the minute a decent European side flash their knickers he will be off and I don't think he would take it. 

Clarke, he did well at WBA and has turned killie into a good side however the season isn't over, they could still finish 5th, it's unlikely but theyve lost control of 3rd place. Its still a good season compared to their previous seasons but not the one they would hope for if they don't finish 3rd.

I dont know if anyone watches Open Goal on Youtube with Simon Ferry but he recently did an interview with Gordon Smith which gives an intriguing insight into the role of Chief Executive and the board of Directors. 

I cant imagine things have changed much in the decade or so since he left but the process sounds so slow which has been perfectly demonstrated with this big Eck sacking. Why has it taken them almost 6 weeks to be in the position we are in today it should have been done in a fortnight at most and then we would have maybe had a permanent manager in for our next double header. By the looks of it Ian Maxwell makes recommendations based on costs and then the board choose based on what we'll never know as they are accountable to themselves and no-one else.  

BBC reporting that the SFA are working on a shortlist today before making contact with each candidate.

No mention of whether or not the same panel of persons are involved in the appointment. I am in agreement with Tom English's remarks that the same people appointing McLeish are discredited and shouldn't be pulling the strings on the next selection, but I don't see it. I await the next announcements with baited breath

Fucking shortlist pish. 

How about looking at applications and then deciding. I just have this notion of these old decrepit bastards listing who they like. If they don’t get this manager right, there should be a complete mutiny. 

Alan McRae and co should be told where to go. 

This is Maxwell's time to shine.  He wasn't part of the recruitment process last time so hopefully he can wield some major influence 

I just don't understand the point of this whole short list nonsense!  What if everyone on the list tells the SFA to poke it?  What do they do then?  Start a lengthy application process which should already be underway?

The fact Bilic has stated he's even interested should have the SFA already arranging an interview!