Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 92 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

People here are just not learning their lesson.

The SFA selection committee will be lining up a manager whose career is on its way down and with low stock. Their shortlist will be of the ilk of Malky Mackay, Paul Lambert or if we are lucky add Scott Gemmill and David Moyes to the list. Not the sort of names to excite many apart from the coin spenders at the SFA. Dream on for those of you anticipating a far out foreign appointment or sought after manager who is still highly-respected.

Sadly your post contains many accuracies and you’re probably right.

If bigwigs at the SFA have the opportunity to sign up a top manager that would really excite the nation, such as Bilic, and pass it up then they should be hounded out for good and never forgiven.

Surely they can’t afford NOT to go for him if he declares he wants it? Surely even they’re not THAT thick and useless?

On 4/18/2019 at 11:46 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

So there's a good chance that if Fulham fail to go up so he gets sacked , McLeish mucks up the play offs then Clarke  will be Scotland boss in time for world cup qualifiers?

Only three names I can see getting the job are Gemmell, Moyes or Strachan.

From what I know Moyes he is about as popular with players he has managed as GB are in the Eurovision song contest. I think he would limit our limited resources even further.

Gemmel and Strachan have experience with most of the players. Can't remember what Strachan was like for call offs but we need all our players to turn up and play for the manager. Be as well by letting the current squad put it to a vote.

Strachan?

I’ll crack the jokes. 

Steve Clarke is too much of a malcontent (In a good way) for the SFA. There's no way that they'd be able to pull his strings.

The SFA won't appoint Steve Clarke for the same reason that the FA didn't appoint Brian Clough.

Also, they probably aren't even aware of him. They're THAT clueless.

Edited by Chripper

Suspect today's interview will spook the SFA board out of giving the job to Steve Clarke.

Clarke would be a good fit and is the sort of organiser and pragmatist we need in charge. He has also instilled so much confidence in an average group of players at Kilmarnock. Tactically astute, his in game management is generally good. Also got experience of handling big ego players from his work in England.

Certainly would get approval from me, deal with him being a strong character.

Unfortunately I think it will go to Scot Gemmill.

50 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Suspect today's interview will spook the SFA board out of giving the job to Steve Clarke.

Clarke would be a good fit and is the sort of organiser and pragmatist we need in charge. He has also instilled so much confidence in an average group of players at Kilmarnock. Tactically astute, his in game management is generally good. Also got experience of handling big ego players from his work in England.

Certainly would get approval from me, deal with him being a strong character.

Unfortunately I think it will go to Scot Gemmill.

You say giving the job as if he would actually take it. 

I think it’s unlikely that anyone who is currently employed will leave their job to become Scotland manager. Unless the SFA offer it to a Scottish League one manager or something. 

The main reason McLeish got the job (other than the SFA’s incompetence of course) was nobody else better wanted it. 

As for Scot Gemmill getting the job, we could probably do worse. He wouldn’t exactly be an exciting appointment but he’s had some decent results with the u21s.

I think I’ve said on here about 100 times that the Scotland job isn’t rocket science. Pick the best 11 available players, play a formation that suits them and don’t be scared to play youngsters (if they’re good enough of course). 

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Steve Clarke is too much of a malcontent (In a good way) for the SFA. There's no way that they'd be able to pull his strings.

The SFA won't appoint Steve Clarke for the same reason that the FA didn't appoint Brian Clough.

Also, they probably aren't even aware of him. They're THAT clueless.

Clarke won’t want the job. No young(ish) manager who is currently employed as a manager at a decent club would want it. 

I think we’re looking at either Scot Gemmill, Malky MacKay or, if the Sun is to be believed, Slaven Bilic. 

I think most of us would take Bilic but whether he’s genuinely interested or not is another matter. 

39 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Clarke won’t want the job. No young(ish) manager who is currently employed as a manager at a decent club would want it. 

I think we’re looking at either Scot Gemmill, Malky MacKay or, if the Sun is to be believed, Slaven Bilic. 

I think most of us would take Bilic but whether he’s genuinely interested or not is another matter. 

I actually think Clarke would take it. 

He doesn't have an itch to scratch where it comes to the EPL. WBA treated him abysmally, I think that soured him off the EPL. When he joined Kilmarnock it was because he wanted to do something special, and he has. He's turned a perennial relegation fighting team into a team into a top 4 team and a team that can compete against the Old Firm. 

Being the Scotland manager would be equally a big a task. I think he'd be up for it.

28 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I actually think Clarke would take it. 

He doesn't have an itch to scratch where it comes to the EPL. WBA treated him abysmally, I think that soured him off the EPL. When he joined Kilmarnock it was because he wanted to do something special, and he has. He's turned a perennial relegation fighting team into a team into a top 4 team and a team that can compete against the Old Firm. 

Being the Scotland manager would be equally a big a task. I think he'd be up for it.

He’s likely to be at Fulham next year. 

Other than that, main reasons I don’t think he’d take the Scotland job are it’s essentially a part time job. He also hates the SFA and (correctly) thinks they are a bunch of amateur buffoons. I think he stated this week that he’d like the Scotland job ‘one day’. That’s the stock response for people that don’t want the job but think it could be a nice little earner when they are too old for club management. 

If he doesn’t get the Fulham job and the SFA offer him a shitload more money than he’s on at Killie then he may well be tempted but I just can’t see him in the job. I’d happily be proved wrong though. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Other than that, main reasons I don’t think he’d take the Scotland job are it’s essentially a part time job. He also hates the SFA and (correctly) thinks they are a bunch of amateur buffoons. I think he stated this week that he’d like the Scotland job ‘one day’. That’s the stock response for people that don’t want the job but think it could be a nice little earner when they are too old for club management. 

If he doesn’t get the Fulham job and the SFA offer him a shitload more money than he’s on at Killie then he may well be tempted but I just can’t see him in the job. I’d happily be proved wrong though. 

You hear manager saying that they have an "itch to scratch" with regards to a league, usually the EPL, but I think the experience with WBA scarred him to such an extent that he would rather have a fulfilling job than a well paying job in an environment with prestige. I remember how he reacted when WBA fired him, he was hurt, and I'm sure the hurt still lays with him.

I might be wrong, but I see him with Kilmarnock next season.

If he joined Fulham he's get promoted to the EPL in his first season, finish 8th in his second season and probably get fired.... it's not a bad assumption, as he got fired from WBA for finished 8th... the morons. 

I'd love to see him as the next Scotland manager, with Darren Fletcher beside him. I can't see it, though, it'll probably be Gemmill as manager, flanked with Mark Burchill and Ian Durrant...

54 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He ripped his shirt open, jumped on a table and bellowed "fuck da SFA !!" before brandishing Jim McLean's hammer and challenging everyone to a square go.

A fuss about nothing really.

:lol:

Is everyone talking about the comments about the ref? I only read about it. Isn't that pretty much what most managers say when they aren't happy with the performance of an official?

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If it was put to him in terms of “Your country needs you”, then I think he’d take it. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

If it was put to him in terms of “Your country needs you”, then I think he’d take it. 

Maybe.

According to Clarke the SFA haven’t contacted Kilmarnock to ask for permission to speak to him. What on Earth are they waiting for if they do want him?

I suppose they might be trying to figure out how much they can afford to offer him but they must have known for almost a month that they were going to sack McLeish. 

I’m all for not rushing into an appointment but we need someone in place soon so we give ourselves the best chance of beating Cyprus comfortably and preventing a doing of biblical proportions in Brussels.