Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 90 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 minute ago, tartanmartin said:

I'm led to believe that Clarke is now open to hearing what the SFA have to offer.

I'd still be surprised if anyone other than Gemmill gets appointed at least in the short term.

Where do you come up wae yer “I know inside stuff” bollocks? 

2 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

I'm led to believe that Clarke is now open to hearing what the SFA have to offer.

I'd still be surprised if anyone other than Gemmill gets appointed at least in the short term.

There would be no point of a short term appointment. The qualifying campaign is already close to a shambles after just 2 games, we need a permanent appointment asap so that we can hopefully rescue what's left. The next game against Cyprus is already a must win, we can't afford another slip up. But, aye, Gemmill wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by stevenmcn

steve clarke has done hee haw other than get kilmarnock to maybe 3rd or 4th same as mcinnes with aberdeen. stinks of same as levein when he got it coz ge got hearts to there. 2 men who arent tasked with winning. i for one would not be happy with anyone like that. mediocrity has been here a while and looks like continuing. away back into hibernation if any of the current bookies favourites get it. we need someone imo to excite us to get a full house against cyprus then the players that we have will take care of the rest. we actually do have good players but we need a manager where they all think fukn hell hes the man. 

1 minute ago, gaz7 said:

steve clarke has done hee haw other than get kilmarnock to maybe 3rd or 4th same as mcinnes with aberdeen. stinks of same as levein when he got it coz ge got hearts to there. 2 men who arent tasked with winning. i for one would not be happy with anyone like that. mediocrity has been here a while and looks like continuing. away back into hibernation if any of the current bookies favourites get it. we need someone imo to excite us to get a full house against cyprus then the players that we have will take care of the rest. we actually do have good players but we need a manager where they all think fukn hell hes the man. 

Paul Dickov

Steve Clark for me, he has done brilliantly with a group of  bang ordinary players, no offence meant to Killie fans. 

Scotland have some pretty decent players who just need  proper tactics and organisation, similar to what has brought success to Iceland and N. Ireland . Clark fits the bill .

3 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Only got Killie to 3rd or 4th, is that all 😂😂😂. They were fighting relegation every season before he came in, now they're playing for a place in Europe. Oh and the fact that he's managed at a pretty decent level, and coached and been respected by world class players as Mourinho's assistant at Chelsea.

4 hours ago, p gala ta said:

Steve Clark for me, he has done brilliantly with a group of  bang ordinary players, no offence meant to Killie fans. 

Scotland have some pretty decent players who just need  proper tactics and organisation, similar to what has brought success to Iceland and N. Ireland . Clark fits the bill .

Malky McKay did the same with Cardiff. Fits the bill just as well as Clarke. But the PC brigade won’t hear of it.

7 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

There would be no point of a short term appointment. The qualifying campaign is already close to a shambles after just 2 games, we need a permanent appointment asap so that we can hopefully rescue what's left. The next game against Cyprus is already a must win, we can't afford another slip up. But, aye, Gemmill wouldn't surprise me.

Interesting because I would take the completely opposite view - to me there is absolutely no point in making a long-term appointment.

We're in a unique situation firstly because of how the new play-offs work and then because of how Euro 2020 - and only this edition - works if we make it. Given how football changes you can never say never but it will probably be generations before we have such a structural advantage to do this well again.

The success or failure of our next manager will be defined exclusively on winning or losing the play-offs. Nothing else. (We obviously don't have a prayer of finishing ahead of Belgium and tbh even knocking off Russia would be a big shock).

So we don't need anyone to develop youngsters or who has a long-term vision - indeed, if such a manager exists and is available, there's a strong case to be made for not risking him in two all or nothing play-offs. We need the best internationally experienced coach we can afford, on a contract to April 1, 2020, with an extension to July if we win the play-offs. Realistically this means a foreigner - Bilic, Dardai, whoever, take your pick. Fail and we pick a long-term option in April next year, succeed and we pick the long-term option three months later. Whoever got us there would obviously be welcome to apply but it would be a different job description - they may not be interested or suitable.

Sadly, however, I have as little confidence of the SFA in getting this appointment right any other!

3 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Only got Killie to 3rd or 4th, is that all 😂😂😂. They were fighting relegation every season before he came in, now they're playing for a place in Europe. Oh and the fact that he's managed at a pretty decent level, and coached and been respected by world class players as Mourinho's assistant at Chelsea.

I think Steve Clarke with his man management and tactical skills could get us a result against Russia both home and away.

If we win at Hampden 1-0 and draw0-0 away like in 95 we would be back into this group. Mon Clarkey

So exactly what are our expectations. Some of the posts on here in the last three years are just bonkers. Who are we expecting to get ? Klopp ? The guy / woman who has just posted saying anybody but Strachan needs a reality check. Look at his record as manager. He is a fan as well as REALLY wanting the job. Look at the players that were desperately upset at letting him down. And they almost all showed up. We were for the first time for a generation on an upward trajectory until that remit Regan stepped in. One bad pass and we would have beaten England and have a play off.  So if your going to put him down have a FEcking good alternative that will do it for £400k. I bet if you asked Strachan to do it for free for 6 months he would but that would be lining the blazers. 

4 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

So exactly what are our expectations. Some of the posts on here in the last three years are just bonkers. Who are we expecting to get ? Klopp ? The guy / woman who has just posted saying anybody but Strachan needs a reality check. Look at his record as manager. He is a fan as well as REALLY wanting the job. Look at the players that were desperately upset at letting him down. And they almost all showed up. We were for the first time for a generation on an upward trajectory until that remit Regan stepped in. One bad pass and we would have beaten England and have a play off.  So if your going to put him down have a FEcking good alternative that will do it for £400k. I bet if you asked Strachan to do it for free for 6 months he would but that would be lining the blazers. 

I think most people's expectations are a manager who hasn't already failed in two qualifying groups and someone capable of beating Lithuania at home.

18 minutes ago, Handsome22Devil said:

Interesting because I would take the completely opposite view - to me there is absolutely no point in making a long-term appointment.

We're in a unique situation firstly because of how the new play-offs work and then because of how Euro 2020 - and only this edition - works if we make it. Given how football changes you can never say never but it will probably be generations before we have such a structural advantage to do this well again.

The success or failure of our next manager will be defined exclusively on winning or losing the play-offs. Nothing else. (We obviously don't have a prayer of finishing ahead of Belgium and tbh even knocking off Russia would be a big shock).

So we don't need anyone to develop youngsters or who has a long-term vision - indeed, if such a manager exists and is available, there's a strong case to be made for not risking him in two all or nothing play-offs. We need the best internationally experienced coach we can afford, on a contract to April 1, 2020, with an extension to July if we win the play-offs. Realistically this means a foreigner - Bilic, Dardai, whoever, take your pick. Fail and we pick a long-term option in April next year, succeed and we pick the long-term option three months later. Whoever got us there would obviously be welcome to apply but it would be a different job description - they may not be interested or suitable.

Sadly, however, I have as little confidence of the SFA in getting this appointment right any other!

I feel a lot of people seem to want to write off this group and just rely on the play off as if it's a certainty. Personally, I'd rather get the best guy in now, do what we can in this group, even if it's just getting confidence back, then see what we get from the play offs. But yes, it's difficult to see the SFA making the right choice.