Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 87 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

Silly me. Engaging with a UKip supporter.

Moment of weakness.

Nothing to do with UKIP this one mate.    Simply talking about what players are, and are not,  allowed to play for Scotland under the current rules. 

My point is that should be extended to managers.

Anyway. Back to topic.

I'm afraid the topic is moot as odds are that the SFA will run down McLeish's contract. I think he has another year to go.

The SFA are playing a dangerous game with this one. By keeping Alex McLeish they're pretty much playing chicken with the Tartan Army.

Hopefully the fans will stay away from Hampden will change is promised. 

As for the next manager, I'd accept the best person for the job, no matter their colour, gender or nationality.

4 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Anyway. Back to topic.

I'm afraid the topic is moot as odds are that the SFA will run down McLeish's contract. I think he has another year to go.

The SFA are playing a dangerous game with this one. By keeping Alex McLeish they're pretty much playing chicken with the Tartan Army.

Hopefully the fans will stay away from Hampden will change is promised. 

As for the next manager, I'd accept the best person for the job, no matter their colour, gender or nationality.

me too but I would prefer an ex Scottish player if had to choose.    And i'm not afraid to offend the snowflakes.

Edited by bonny78

27 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

this is not racist.  If you look at the reaction when we appointed Berti  Vogts a lot of people were opposed to it because they wanted to remain with a Scottish manager.

You're right. It's not. If your reasoning for the opinion is that you couldn't have a foreign player playing for you (within reason, obviously) then it's a fair enough one at that.

3 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

he has coached in the men's game (assistant and caretaker).  other examples then are Corinne Diacre, Scott Booth or Shelley Kerr.

it works both ways - a success in one code may not enjoy the same levels in the other.  and vice versa is also true.

True enough.. but you can naturally expand that to "success at one club or nation does not mean you'll enjoy success at another"
At which point the whole discussion becomes a bit pointless :D

Neil Lennon's one example.. 3 consecutive titles for Celtic. Moved to Bolton and I'm not sure he won 3 consecutive games in 2 years.

Mourinho's another.. One of the best managers in the world after Ferguson, and probably the most adaptable. Won the league in Portugal, Spain, Italy and England. 2 Champions Leagues, a trophy cabinet bigger than the average house and handled some of the biggest names in the world: Modric, Ronaldo, Figo, Lamard, Drogba, Zanetti, Eto'o, Ballack, Hazard, Makelele, Benzema, Essien, Marcelo. Mourinho's 'best 11' is a properly good side and he's handled a lot of massive ego's along the way. Yet, at Man Utd he couldn't do it. Couldn't win the league and ultimately being unable to handle one stroppy Frenchman consigned his tenure to failure. Still, he'll probably go to Germany, win the league and maybe another Champions League. ;)

So every appointment's a risk. Nothing is a guarantee of success.
Shelley Kerr has a UEFA Pro license, and she's been successful with an international football team.
In the men's game she managed at a low level, but was successful there as well.
Qualified the women for their first World Cup, and while there's 2 top teams in the group, they just beat Brazil, who are a top team themselves.

Her appointment as head coach of the men's side would make a lot more sense than McLeish's appointment did.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-need-steve-clarke-boss-14377749

"The former Celtic and Scotland star believes the Kilmarnock manager’s organisation skills set him apart from other candidates in the running to replace the under-fire Alex McLeish whose fate could be sealed at an SFA board meeting on Thursday."

Do any of us think they'll actually bin him or will McRae and Petrie save their mate?

12 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-need-steve-clarke-boss-14377749

"The former Celtic and Scotland star believes the Kilmarnock manager’s organisation skills set him apart from other candidates in the running to replace the under-fire Alex McLeish whose fate could be sealed at an SFA board meeting on Thursday."

Do any of us think they'll actually bin him or will McRae and Petrie save their mate?

I just read that. There's no doubt that Clarke should be offered the job.

Will McLeish be fired? No. The SFA will let his contract expire and then they'll Appoint Stuart McCall or Scot Gemmill as manager.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, kwhitelaw said:

I reckon there is next to no chance of McLeish being fired. I fully expect him to be in charge for the next two games at least.

Consequently, I also expect the now standard multiple call-offs from his original squad, a sub 30k crowd for the Cyprus game - which, in a footballing sense, I expect to be akin to Lithuania at home in 2016 or Macedonia in 2012 - and for Belgium to put about 4 or 5 past us in Brussels. 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

It could actually be more than 5.

It could be 7 or 8.

Indeed!  A similar performance to Kazakhstan against a fully fit Belgium side firing on all cylinders gives me the utter fear!

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I reckon there is next to no chance of McLeish being fired. I fully expect him to be in charge for the next two games at least.

Consequently, I also expect the now standard multiple call-offs from his original squad, a sub 30k crowd for the Cyprus game - which, in a footballing sense, I expect to be akin to Lithuania at home in 2016 or Macedonia in 2012 - and for Belgium to put about 4 or 5 past us in Brussels. 

Sadly I think you're right and I bitterly regret buying the 5-match package.  Apparently they'll be discussing the team's "form" tomorrow which means f-all.

You're wrong about Belgium though as they'll put at least 7 past the disorganised shambles that'll be in front of them.  FFS we thought San Marino could score when they went up the park!  We can only hope their minds will be on their summer holidays once the game's safe about 15 minutes in.

What a time to be alive and supporting Scotland.  FFS  :(