Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 67 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

4 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Someone posted his CV above

took Motherwell to a second place finish in the SPL, got Hibs promoted, won the English league cup with Birmingham and kept an imploding Aston Villa in the EPL.  Even at Rangers and with an open cheque book he was up against Martin O'Neill and his open cheque book at Celtic and still got the better of him on a few occasions. In addition, he led a Scottish side to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time. 

I think he made poor job choices after villa and if it wasn't for the walking away more would be happy

He also got Birmingham promoted. 

He’s not perfect though by any stretch of the imagination but there’s no reason he can’t be a success with us and get us to Euro 2020. 

19 minutes ago, McExpat said:

McLeish will do for me.

I said at the start of the thread that a part of me would be happy to see him get the job. I'd only having taken Moyes closely ahead of him out of all the favourites. 

He's got experience playing for the jersey as he has managing the national team, both of which will stand him in good stead, as will the rest of his management experience including more recently acquired , albeit short, spells managing abroad. 

Had it not been for a dodgy referee McLeish could have taken us Euro 2008. We came close against all odds. More of the same with just a little bit more to get us over the line would see us in dreamland for the first time since 98 & I for one will be backing McLeish all the way in the hope & belief we'll be back at our 1st major finals in over 20 years. 

Wherever It Takes Us
Whatever It Takes 

Meant to add, I'm have taken McLeish over Smith without a doubt, they both left us but Smith done so in the middle of a campaign, whereas the situ with McLeish was much different. 

Guest MorayCupMan

Neither over the moon or annoyed by the appointment of McLeish just glad we got someone now and just wanna get the games underway.

Edited by MorayCupMan

Well what was the point in that? Totally uninspired choice, might as well have stuck with WGS. We were on a decent run and while he was far from perfect at least we would have continuity.

Those people lording McLeish record last time seem to be forgetting Georgia away. 

You really would think the sfa would have something in place before sacking the manager. It's just my opinion but they have replaced him like for like - pointless. Also, people seem to be forgetting we were pretty negative under McLeish at times. At least Scotland entertained under Strachan.

14 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Of course he wants the job - no other fcker wants him!

Lol so did John Hughes, Gary Caldwell and Malky Mackay....Pretty sure He could have found a a club gig and waited for the sack and a pay off if it was just for the job - eternal optimist in me is hoping he wants to finish the job for Scotland - although there is a part of me calling the optimist a C***

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Some folk on here need to have a word with themselves.

I don’t think McLeish was many people’s first choice but the way people are going on you’d think we’d just appointed Levein or Burley again. 

I’m not saying people should shouldn’t have their say but calling the guy a ‘cunt’ or saying you won’t go to Scotland games anymore because McLeish is now the manager is just pathetic. 

Some people on here seem to think that the Scotland job is still one of the top jobs in world football and we should be beating the likes of Klinsmann or Bilic off with a shitty stick. Anyone who thinks that really does know fuck all about football. 

I think Stevie Clarke is a better manager than Bilic. And he’s managing killie ffs. 

Folk in Scotland need to get a grip and stop putting our game down. 

15 minutes ago, Mox said:

Truly depressing. The most insular footballing nation on planet earth and we are proud of it, tragic stuff.

For me this is a watershed moment and I strongly believe there will be many (overly) loyal supporters that will feel the same. It’s just such a staggeringly underwhelming and lazy appointment and I can’t get behind it whatsoever right now. They can’t see beyond the end of their own snouts, probably because they are so deep in the ****ing trough!

I’m sickened by their lack of vision and complete disregard for a country jam packed with football fanatics. Instead of embracing the amazing backing they get they show no ambition, no desire to change the status quo and end up with total mediocrity once again. Names like Bilic or Klinnsmann might have proven beyond us for numerous reasons but where is the ingenuity or inspiration to go out and get a big name? Don’t take no for an answer! Get Scottish Power, Standard Life or Aegon to sponsor a coach of that caliber! Christ call Irn Bru or Diageo and have them do it, God knows they’ve made plenty in sales and free advertising from Scotland’s fan base and statistically if we made a major tournament their sales go through the roof. But nobody gives a **** about us actually being the best we can be, we just keep doing the same thing like Groundhog Day! Horrendous. Rant over :laugh:

Most obvious choice imo once O'Neill turned it down.

Him walking out when he did was nowhere near as bad as Walter Smith. Smith went mid group, McLeish left (for a premier league job) when the group had finished and Scotland didn't have a competitive game for 10 months, the problem was who replaced him.

Time will tell whether it was his good fortune to take over a team with momentum but I do think his safety first tactics suit international football more than club now.

This is a good opportunity anyway. There are good players in this squad and the euros are obviously easier to make than the world cup. Let's be honest whoever is the manager who eventually gets Scotland back to a major finals will become a legend of Scottish football.

Edited by Tartan Chris

He really wanted the job when most distanced themselves from it. 

He’s always struck me as the type of guy who you’d love to play for and run through a brick wall for. 

Anyone with a rangers background of any sort is always going to get slaughtered on here. 

Lets get behind him 

1 hour ago, McExpat said:

McLeish will do for me.

I said at the start of the thread that a part of me would be happy to see him get the job. I'd only having taken Moyes closely ahead of him out of all the favourites. 

He's got experience playing for the jersey as he has managing the national team, both of which will stand him in good stead, as will the rest of his management experience including more recently acquired , albeit short, spells managing abroad. 

Had it not been for a dodgy referee McLeish could have taken us Euro 2008. We came close against all odds. More of the same with just a little bit more to get us over the line would see us in dreamland for the first time since 98 & I for one will be backing McLeish all the way in the hope & belief we'll be back at our 1st major finals in over 20 years. 

Wherever It Takes Us
Whatever It Takes 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s not perfect though by any stretch of the imagination but there’s no reason he can’t be a success with us and get us to Euro 2020. 

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I think Stevie Clarke is a better manager than Bilic. And he’s managing killie ffs. 

Folk in Scotland need to get a grip and stop putting our game down. 

17 minutes ago, Hobta83 said:

He really wanted the job when most distanced themselves from it. 

He’s always struck me as the type of guy who you’d love to play for and run through a brick wall for. 

Anyone with a rangers background of any sort is always going to get slaughtered on here. 

Lets get behind him 

Totally agree.  Really happy with the appointment.  Can't wait for the costa rica game now, lets get them back for 90. 5-0should do it.

Mcleish ticks a lot of boxes for everyone on here.

Previous International experience.  Yes

Success at international level.  Yes  (beat France (a), Ukraine (h))

Managed big clubs who have to win all there games.  Yes  (Rangers)

Successful in management.  Yes (Has won 8 top level trophies)

Able to beat teams with bigger budgets.  Yes  (Motherwell, Hibs & Birmingham)

Able to beat up the smaller teams.  Yes (Faroes, Georgia, Lithuania)

Knows the Scottish Game.  Yes  (One of our best ever players and a top manager)

1 hour ago, ghtresa said:

Well what was the point in that? Totally uninspired choice, might as well have stuck with WGS. We were on a decent run and while he was far from perfect at least we would have continuity.

Those people lording McLeish record last time seem to be forgetting Georgia away. 

You really would think the sfa would have something in place before sacking the manager. It's just my opinion but they have replaced him like for like - pointless. Also, people seem to be forgetting we were pretty negative under McLeish at times. At least Scotland entertained under Strachan.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Truly depressing. The most insular footballing nation on planet earth and we are proud of it, tragic stuff.

48 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

For me this is a watershed moment and I strongly believe there will be many (overly) loyal supporters that will feel the same. It’s just such a staggeringly underwhelming and lazy appointment and I can’t get behind it whatsoever right now. They can’t see beyond the end of their own snouts, probably because they are so deep in the ****ing trough!

I’m sickened by their lack of vision and complete disregard for a country jam packed with football fanatics. Instead of embracing the amazing backing they get they show no ambition, no desire to change the status quo and end up with total mediocrity once again. Names like Bilic or Klinnsmann might have proven beyond us for numerous reasons but where is the ingenuity or inspiration to go out and get a big name? Don’t take no for an answer! Get Scottish Power, Standard Life or Aegon to sponsor a coach of that caliber! Christ call Irn Bru or Diageo and have them do it, God knows they’ve made plenty in sales and free advertising from Scotland’s fan base and statistically if we made a major tournament their sales go through the roof. But nobody gives a **** about us actually being the best we can be, we just keep doing the same thing like Groundhog Day! Horrendous. Rant over :laugh:

You guys are totally wrong.  This is the real world not playstation.  Bilic?  Never won anything or managed a big team.  Klinsmann great player, average manager.  Took USA backwards, not for us.

Great appointment, McLeish for the previous posts reasons.

2 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

You guys are totally wrong.  This is the real world not playstation.  Bilic?  Never won anything or managed a big team.  Klinsmann great player, average manager.  Took USA backwards, not for us.

Great appointment, McLeish for the previous posts reasons.

In the REAL WORLD Scotland have not been at a major tournament for 20 years! You think Eck McLeish is going to change that. Had me back. Pathetic appointment from a group of self serving, uninspiring, unambitious arseholes. Failure awaits as per usual. 

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

In the REAL WORLD Scotland have not been at a major tournament for 20 years! You think Eck McLeish is going to change that. Had me back. Pathetic appointment from a group of self serving, uninspiring, unambitious arseholes. Failure awaits as per usual. 

Wait, so if McLeish gets us to euro 2020 will you change your mind about him?

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

There's quite a few reasons like we're gash and tend to bottle vital games, but that's been happening for a long time