Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 65 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

10 hours ago, scotlad said:

He also took Motherwell to a second place finish in the SPL, got Hibs promoted, won the English league cup with Birmingham and kept an imploding Aston Villa in the EPL.  Even at Rangers and with an open cheque book he was up against Martin O'Neill and his open cheque book at Celtic and still got the better of him on a few occasions. In addition, he led a Scottish side to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time. 

I don't particularly want Mcleish but to say he was only successful at Rangers is a bit unfair. 

The case being made above is why he got the job

Better CV than Gemmill, Clarke all the rest

I was incensed when he left but I'm ten years older now so fuck it, let's give him another go

In the last interview I heard from the man he came across like  a strung out desperado (at best). Hopefully he was just having a bad day. Definitely not a safe option in my eyes! Worst option I can think of actually.

That being said, thia team should qualify for the euros almost regardless of who the manager is.

Hopefully McLeish isn’t as much of a mess as he appears and hopefully we are paying him pittance. At the least we should save some cash (the money for O’Neil did seem ott).

5 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

In the last interview I heard from the man he came across like  a strung out desperado (at best). Hopefully he was just having a bad day. Definitely not a safe option in my eyes! Worst option I can think of actually.

That being said, thia team should qualify for the euros almost regardless of who the manager is.

Hopefully McLeish isn’t as much of a mess as he appears and hopefully we are paying him pittance. At the least we should save some cash (the money for O’Neil did seem ott).

this was my initial thought the last time I saw him on tv.

I thought there was something wrong with him. Didn't seem mentally sharp or alert

Wasn’t my first choice but don’t see the problem in giving the guy a chance- 

Martin o Neill wasn’t great shakes in his last gig but and managed to get Ireland to euros, he had them fired up and hard to beat...Michael O Neil likewise with Northern Ireland...

From what I remeber Mcleish continued what Walter Smith had going , harder to beat but maybe a bit more attacking at times, so I’d he can make us harder to beat and keep some of the good stuff strachan done- there was some ...and at the same time fire the boys up ...then he’ll do for me. If he doesn’t we will know by start of Euro qualifying ...

His record also is pretty decent ...with a few bad ventures - but doesn’t mean he can’t make this work - he also wanted the job- and I remember during the campaign he said he wished he had learnt from mistakes made - Georgia etc - sticking with tired legs- so maybe his experience will stand him well 

SFA a shambles from start to finish but it’s hardly mcleish fault he’s been vocal saying he wants it - I’m sure he could’ve got jobs elsewhere- maybe feels he let us down slightly before- if nothing he’s a passionate Scot - deserving of support and a chance - if he fucks up then he’ll deserve the abuse 

ffs 😂 Okay disband. Big eck’s a good guy but a bit busted flush tbh. 

Given it’s Fecking easy to qualify though,let’s hope he just manages to fail to nearly get to the nearly qualifying spot in the group(s). Let’s not pretend that’s a hope,it’s a given.

Disband after.

Just now, DING said:

Wasn’t my first choice but don’t see the problem in giving the guy a chance- 

Martin o Neill wasn’t great shakes in his last gig but and managed to get Ireland to euros, he had them fired up and hard to beat...Michael O Neil likewise with Northern Ireland...

From what I remeber Mcleish continued what Walter Smith had going , harder to beat but maybe a bit more attacking at times, so I’d he can make us harder to beat and keep some of the good stuff strachan done- there was some ...and at the same time fire the boys up ...then he’ll do for me. If he doesn’t we will know by start of Euro qualifying ...

His record also is pretty decent ...with a few bad ventures - but doesn’t mean he can’t make this work - he also wanted the job- and I remember during the campaign he said he wished he had learnt from mistakes made - Georgia etc - sticking with tired legs- so maybe his experience will stand him well 

SFA a shambles from start to finish but it’s hardly mcleish fault he’s been vocal saying he wants it - I’m sure he could’ve got jobs elsewhere- maybe feels he let us down slightly before- if nothing he’s a passionate Scot - deserving of support and a chance - if he fucks up then he’ll deserve the abuse 

Sorry didn’t realise that would end up as long 😭