Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 63 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

The perception of hughes is a big issue, we see him as some sort of thicko but he has a point. Every manager has a bad spell at one point. he did take Falkirk to a final, ICT to two, one of which he won. Falkirk and ICT in Europe for first time ever. Got Hibs into Europe, yes they got knocked out but thats hardly a stick to beat him with considering no scottish side has done anything of note for about a decade.

I'm not saying Hughes is the answer but if you look at the other candidates, he's not the worst. I'd have him before McLiesh any day of the week, mcliesh was succesful at one club, Rangers. He had an open cheque book there so its debatable whether he is any good.

Amazingly Chick Young made a great point last night..................yes you read that right:lol:. The Scotland manager over the years doesn't have a specific profile, the more recent succeses in the 80's and 90's were with two managers with very little experience or success so this proves experience is not and should not be a prerequisite , it can be desired but another example is Walter Smith. Some see him as succesful (i don't)yet he failed as scotland manager. 

We went after Michael O'Neil due to his experience with Northern Ireland but before he got that experience his managerial career was hardly headline making.............Brechin and Shamrock Rovers, I bet the Northern Ireland fans were concerned with his appointment at the time. Even his playing career would be classed as journeyman esque. Chris Coleman had a semi decent period at Fulham and then went on to huge success with Wales, again not exactly setting the heather alight prior to being at Wales.

On paper the names being touted are not household names but why does it have to be experienced or succesful when its clear thats almost impossible to get for a national job like Scotland?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The perception of hughes is a big issue, we see him as some sort of thicko but he has a point. Every manager has a bad spell at one point. he did take Falkirk to a final, ICT to two, one of which he won. Falkirk and ICT in Europe for first time ever. Got Hibs into Europe, yes they got knocked out but thats hardly a stick to beat him with considering no scottish side has done anything of note for about a decade.

I'm not saying Hughes is the answer but if you look at the other candidates, he's not the worst. I'd have him before McLiesh any day of the week,mcliesh was succesful at one club, Rangers. He had an open cheque book there so its debatable whether he is any good.

Amazingly Chick Young made a great point last night..................yes you read that right:lol:. The Scotland manager over the years doesn't have a specific profile, the more recent succeses in the 80's and 90's were with two managers with very little experience or success so this proves experience is not and should not be a prerequisite , it can be desired but another example is Walter Smith. Some see him as succesful (i don't)yet he failed as scotland manager. 

We went after Michael O'Neil due to his experience with Northern Ireland but before he got that experience his managerial career was hardly headline making.............Brechin and Shamrock Rovers, I bet the Northern Ireland fans were concerned with his appointment at the time. Even his playing career would be classed as journeyman esque. Chris Coleman had a semi decent period at Fulham and then went on to huge success with Wales, again not exactly setting the heather alight prior to being at Wales.

On paper the names being touted are not household names but why does it have to be experienced or succesful when its clear thats almost impossible to get for a national job like Scotland?

He also took Motherwell to a second place finish in the SPL, got Hibs promoted, won the English league cup with Birmingham and kept an imploding Aston Villa in the EPL.  Even at Rangers and with an open cheque book he was up against Martin O'Neill and his open cheque book at Celtic and still got the better of him on a few occasions. In addition, he led a Scottish side to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time. 

I don't particularly want Mcleish but to say he was only successful at Rangers is a bit unfair. 

11 minutes ago, Mitre said:

Keith Jackson on Twitter says its McLeish

Alex McLeish on the verge of landing the Scotland job ... story up soon @Record_Sport

All the signs suggest it is McLeish. Wouldn't have been my choice but there you go. Like anybody taking on this poisoned chalice of a job he'll have my full backing and wish him all the best. If he can have the same sort of wins to matches ratio as he had first time around it may not be all doom and gloom (trying to find some positivity here).

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

He also took Motherwell to a second place finish in the SPL, got Hibs promoted, won the English league cup with Birmingham and kept an imploding Aston Villa in the EPL.  Even at Rangers and with an open cheque book he was up against Martin O'Neill and his open cheque book at Celtic and still got the better of him on a few occasions. In addition, he led a Scottish side to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time. 

I don't particularly want Mcleish but to say he was only successful at Rangers is a bit unfair. 

Done a great job at the Hibernians, will be eternally grateful for witnessing his swashbuckling cavaliers destroying the big team 

What a complete joke. A pathetic, shambles of an appointment but befitting of the clueless inept leaders at Hampden. Completely uninspiring and woefully short sighted. I’ve been massive supporter of the National team for 30 years, have defended the management and players way too often than I should have but I’m just about done. I’m honestly tired of the total buffoons running things. I hope when competitive games come around I will feel differently but right now it’s just difficult to feel anything but disillusion at this decision. 

Stevie Clark is in work and doing a good job.

Neil Lennon is in work and doing a good job.

Alex McLeish is out of work for a reason.  It's not rocket science, if he is not good enough for the multiple manager jobs that have come up over the last few years then why is he ahead of these guys?! Because the blazers want someone who is desperate for a job and wont rock the boat. 

Utterly depressing stuff.  If we appoint McLeish, the blazers have to go.

41 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All the signs suggest it is McLeish. Wouldn't have been my choice but there you go. Like anybody taking on this poisoned chalice of a job he'll have my full backing and wish him all the best. If he can have the same sort of wins to matches ratio as he had first time around it may not be all doom and gloom (trying to find some positivity here).

Settle down Caledonian Craig - "he'll have my full backing" and "positivity" you must be on the wrong site/thread !!!???  

4 minutes ago, Marty said:

Stevie Clark is in work and doing a good job.

Neil Lennon is in work and doing a good job.

Alex McLeish is out of work for a reason.  It's not rocket science, if he is not good enough for the multiple manager jobs that have come up over the last few years then why is he ahead of these guys?! Because the blazers want someone who is desperate for a job and wont rock the boat. 

Utterly depressing stuff.  If we appoint McLeish, the blazers have to go.

Firstly, by all accounts the leading candidates won't touch the job with a f***ing bargepole. Clarke has been quoted as saying now is not the time as has Moyes. If Lennon truly wants it let him apply. Has he? I doubt it reading by the quotes today. I'd love the SFA to release the names of those having applied (just out of interest) but I bet all of us will be shocked, deflated, dejected and sad by the standard of the candidates.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not saying Hughes is the answer but if you look at the other candidates, he's not the worst. I'd have him before McLiesh any day of the week, mcliesh was succesful at one club, Rangers. He had an open cheque book there so its debatable whether he is any good.

Hughes isn't a bad manager. The Scotland job is probably a position to far for him but he probably has as good if not a better record than Levein considering what he has achieved with lesser clubs. He is to harshly judged because of the way he speaks.

I disagree with you about McLeish. Did reasonable jobs at Motherwell and Hibs to get his crack at Rangers. Did what was expected of him at Rangers. Did well with Scotland in his short spell. Mixed spell with Birmingham getting relegated twice but also got promotion and a league cup. Kept Villa up who are a basket case. Everything since then has been down hill I agree. 

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Correct and Italy should have been a draw. Stevie wonder refereed that game.

13 minutes ago, drew said:

Hughes isn't a bad manager. The Scotland job is probably a position to far for him but he probably has as good if not a better record than Levein considering what he has achieved with lesser clubs. 

Levein isn't the best yardstick, he's never won anything as a manager or player

Rod Pettries record picking managers at Hibs is off the scale. Been told he is a pal of Jackie McNamarra Senior ,so don't be surprised to see Junior arrive as chief exec. In a few months time when Rod takes over  we could be led by McLeish , McNamarra and Pettrie.

That's a combination to make the pulse race and bring belief back into Scottish football  is it not ?