Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 49 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Walter smith and a Gary Caldwell, Chtistian Dailly, Robbie Neilson or someone in their low 40s is a good strategic scenario. Stuart Mccall is available now also.

My criteria - wants the job, tactically intelligent and with some recent experience. 

That does rule out Smith for me unless they have a plan for succession and its a 2 year contract.

Edited by romanticscot

4 hours ago, bossman4 said:

The Times newspaper saying that the SFA board are looking at Clarke. As for Smith, very much hope that’s just a nonsense story.

I hope so. Clarke is the stand-out Scottish candidate, for me. The only thing is, I doubt he'd be interested. He's done an excellent job at Killie, raising his profile as a manager after his career had stalled a bit down south. If he keeps it up he'll put himself in the frame for a bigger club job. Why risk that by taking on a higher profile job where he has relatively less chance of success?  (That could apply to the Rangers job too)

After thinking about it and initially being sceptical i wouldnt be averse to having Walter Smith back as manager along with McCoist and A N Other as assistants

I'm really not that interested in the anti Rangers/EBT/traitor side effects

The SFA is in turmoil as is the Scottish game

A forward plan and someone who knows the Scottish game inside out to steady the ship for a couple of years

It might also allay the Rangers/Scotland bad feeling a little which is really no good at all 

I realise many will disagree and why but thats my opinion

Considering the names that have come up recently Walter Smith is one of the better ones.

Really not happy that he walked out in the middle of a qualifying campaign but how many people that are complaining would complain if he had left to take over there club side.

In an era where Gary Caldwell’s application was seriously considered last week it would be laughable to say that the second most successful living Scottish manager wouldn’t be a good appointment.

The meat and bones of it are that we don’t need the next Guardiola, we need to get to a bloody major tournament! In the last campaign 10 of the 12 goals we conceded were from Set-pieces and crosses into the box, Walter is an absolute expert at organising teams to defend crosses and set-plays.

The job of our manager isn’t to implement a technical strategy for Scotland’s future success, it’s to manage us for 2 years to get us to a major tournament and Smith would be ideal to solve the above issue.

on a side note I’d happily take Steve Clarke as well.

2 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Smith? How embarrassing that he’s a candidate. Probably just them trying to throw an olive branch out to the Huns who have left their country because of the way the “SFA treated them”.

He gets appointed I’m done. 

Most people I’ve found having a go at Smith on social media or on here used the term “huns” or “sevco” in their argument, says it all really.

Now I think of it, I haven't heard or read of a single person on this site or anywhere else mention Walter Smith.  He has been out of the game since 7 years, that's a big gap for me.  No-idea whats going on his his mind, but maybe this is exactly something that would suit his life style and be a win for everyone.

His domestic achievements are pretty extensive with Rangers, but I think we need a plan of succession. If this works out, I think it would be a move of desperation (lack of interest), I am certain that if we had qualified for the World Cup and WGS has ended his contract after, that there would be far more interest.  

2 years time, we may have a restored reputation Moyes, more established Clarke, better timing for McInnes and maybe 5 other names I am not thinking of right now, here's hoping we are involved in the 2020 EURO's and things are in a better shape. 

Edited by romanticscot

1 minute ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Most people I’ve found having a go at Smith on social media or on here used the term “huns” or “sevco” in their argument, says it all really.

Come on...it’s 8 years since he was last employed. Why as a nation are we never forward thinking in anything we do? Stadium, youth development, coaching, diet....the list is endless.

14 minutes ago, wubbs said:

Just think, if the fans hadn't called for Strachan to go, he'd still be manager, Regan would still have a job, and Scottish football would be heading in a positive direction.

Pass the pipe on, youve ODd.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would take Steve Clarke but he is still young and his stock is rising. What happens if he gets a decent run of results for his I have no doubt the vultures will be around. Would he be willing to snub a big EPL job if it was offered to him?

I never get this logic when folk say this stuff. Would you rather have someone shite who no one else would want? 

20 minutes ago, wubbs said:

Just think, if the fans hadn't called for Strachan to go, he'd still be manager, Regan would still have a job, and Scottish football would be heading in a positive direction.

Whaaaaat? Failure to qualify is a positive direction? A draw at home to Lithuania is heading in a positive direction? Blowing a lead in a game we had to win is heading in a positive direction? A CEO who predicts "social unrest" if a team isn't parachuted in to the top division is heading in a positive direction? A CEO who continually talks down our game is heading in a positive direction? 

You've got me baffled as to this positive direction we were heading in with those two failures in senior positions. 

45 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Come on...it’s 8 years since he was last employed. Why as a nation are we never forward thinking in anything we do? Stadium, youth development, coaching, diet....the list is endless.

Read my previous post for why he would do a good job.

Ian Cathro, Mark Warburton and Pedro Caixinha were all “forward thinking appointments” at their clubs.

we need someone to do the basics right and get us to a major tournament, the rest is Malky Mackays job.

its hardly forward thinking of you to suggest that him being linked to the job is a “hun conspiracy” and yet you want to be taken seriously.

Smith for the job is a fucking joke and I never thought more embarrassment was possible with the goings on the last few months. But if he is even on a shortlist then I don’t think sales of the new membership(whenever the fuck that is) will show anything good. Laughing stock of Euro football we are. 

I never get this logic when folk say this stuff - I can respond from where I come from, I don't want someone who has a brief spell of success, I still view that as potential, proven success in different scenarios is what I look for. I would view someone with short term success as risk and would not appoint them on a long term contract.  If a potential candidate does turn out to be a domestic success and of good reputation that a big "EPL team" is interested then great for them.  International football management is not for everyone and my opinion should be the right time for them as well as Scotland.