Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 40 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Unfortunately we have to realise our position.  Small country. Not an attractive option for many.  We need to either take a punt on inexperience which is very risky and doubt will happen or get someone who has been out of work for some time.

Alas Billy Davies wont get it as Mr X wil make sure any chances are scuppered.

11 minutes ago, fishcumnock said:

Id take mcliesh in a heartbeat , scottish! 

Me too.  In 12 hours the best names anyone could come up with who have won multiple league and cup trophys, are guus hiddink and sven g eriksen, i think mcleish is more likely or just as likely to get us to the euros and he would cost less and not just arrive in scotland 1hour before a game.  Like hiddink did with russia.

My concerns with McLeish..

1) Used us as a stepping stone once already. No reason to believe he's not just trying to do the same again.

2) His record since he left us is highly questionable.
Zamalek he was sacked for poor performances.
Genk he did ok, but was sacked for not reaching the clubs goals at the start of the season.
Forest results were terrible and he lasted just 2 months.
Villa just stayed up and was sacked for poor performances and style of play.
Birmingham got relegated and he quit despite the club wanting him to stay.
So we're now more than 10 years since he's done well anywhere.
I'd love for him to somehow recreate the previous form he has with us, but cant help but wonder if he was just a bit lucky that Boyd was on form and Faddy was at his peak.

2) He doesn't seem to trust young players. In the 9 games he had, not once did he put a player under 21 in the matchday squad. Brown and Adam were the only 21 year olds he ever gave time to. There'd be a big risk of going backwards under McLeigh in that he'd just call up Strachans 'tried and trusted' squad again.

3) "I believe they (Rangers) should have pulled out the stops to get wee Naisy, I think he’s a great player."
No.. just no.

Prefer a Scottish manager and Mcleish seems to be favoured although l have concerns that he previously walked out on us for a better deal (was it Bitmingham City?). He may however be unlikely to do that again as he seems to be out of the EPL Manager merry go round at the moment and has for sometime. Of course he may want the Scotland job as a stopgap till something better comes up again and this perversely might happen if gets the job and turns our performance around making himself attractive like Michael O’Neill has. My bigger concern is Stewart Regan. Following on from his performance in attempting to appoint Michael O’Neill it’s difficult to have any confidence in him to get this major decision right. In fact his performance as leader over our failed campaigns in the past few years does not inspire much confidence. And unrelated to the manager position, is the outrageous decision to have friendlies in Peru and Mexico City. Not a thought for the fans but l’m sure Mr Regan and his cronies will enjoy fine flights, hotels and hospitality at no personal expense unlike TA troops. Surely there may have been a couple of European countries willing to play us?

6 minutes ago, Wallace1953 said:

My bigger concern is Stewart Regan...<snip>...the outrageous decision to have friendlies in Peru and Mexico City. Not a thought for the fans but l’m sure Mr Regan and his cronies will enjoy fine flights, hotels and hospitality at no personal expense unlike TA troops. Surely there may have been a couple of European countries willing to play us?

Scotland have played friendlies in the likes of Japan, USA, Canada and Argentina well before Regan was appointed, so the concept of traveling to another continent to watch Scotland is not a brand new concept, especially when we haven't qualified for a tournament that year.

20 hours ago, exile said:

Can someone remind us, was there some Bilic connection to Scotland in the past? Like something that linked him in some way other than wishful thinking from the Scottish side?

He was wanting the job when Potter got it

17 hours ago, bonny78 said:

You might as well count the Scotland v itay game as a 1-1 draw too for Mcleish.  Ref ballzed it up.

You might as well count the Scotland v italy game as a 1-0 defeat too for McLeidh. Linesman ballzed it up 

4 hours ago, fishcumnock said:

Id take mcliesh in a heartbeat , scottish! 

Not so much a dig at you. This is a laughable statement I've read so many times on here and various Facebook pages from so many people they want a Scottish manager and not a foreigner, yet a number of these same people don't want Malky McKay to get it because he's a racist...

22 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

He was wanting the job when Potter got it

You might as well count the Scotland v italy game as a 1-0 defeat too for McLeidh. Linesman ballzed it up 

Not so much a dig at you. This is a laughable statement I've read so many times on here and various Facebook pages from so many people they want a Scottish manager and not a foreigner, yet a number of these same people don't want Malky McKay to get it because he's a racist...

So it would seem being Scottish is one requirement for many, if being Scottish is their only qualification then heck I will throw my name in. I think Billy Davies has more recent experience than Mcleish, the only thing that would tip Mcleish is past record as the Scotland manager.  Who is hungry for it and with good tactical skills and with recent positive experience - that's my three requirements.  let me throw this out for discussion - Can anyone give an example from McLeish's 10 games where we were being beaten or dominated and he made a tactical switch to turn the game?  This was one of Strachan's short comings. 

Edited by romanticscot

1 hour ago, andyD said:

My concerns with McLeish..

1) Used us as a stepping stone once already. No reason to believe he's not just trying to do the same again.

2) His record since he left us is highly questionable.
Zamalek he was sacked for poor performances.
Genk he did ok, but was sacked for not reaching the clubs goals at the start of the season.
Forest results were terrible and he lasted just 2 months.
Villa just stayed up and was sacked for poor performances and style of play.
Birmingham got relegated and he quit despite the club wanting him to stay.
So we're now more than 10 years since he's done well anywhere.
I'd love for him to somehow recreate the previous form he has with us, but cant help but wonder if he was just a bit lucky that Boyd was on form and Faddy was at his peak.

2) He doesn't seem to trust young players. In the 9 games he had, not once did he put a player under 21 in the matchday squad. Brown and Adam were the only 21 year olds he ever gave time to. There'd be a big risk of going backwards under McLeigh in that he'd just call up Strachans 'tried and trusted' squad again.

3) "I believe they (Rangers) should have pulled out the stops to get wee Naisy, I think he’s a great player."
No.. just no.

2) Concerns me more than 1). The best possible options for us (and, no, I've no idea who they are) would be up and coming managers desperate to prove themselves and who, ultimately, would see the Scotland job as a stepping-stone (washed-up unemployed managers desperate to restore their reputations would also see us as a stepping-stone, of course). That's, at best, what we are. The fact that McLeish hasn't done much subsequently is a much greater concern.

McLeish only wants the Scotland job because no one else will give him a job. He hasn't done well for ten years. Only thing going for him is that he did do relatively well with Scotland when he was managing us but he also used us as a stepping back then and would do the same again imo. I don't think it's a terrible appointment but it's definitely not going to raise expectations which is maybe a good thing.

If SFA want a manager that has International experience and is successful then Prandelli is our man!!

Very surprised Joe Jordan hasn't been strongly touted or even King Kenny Dalglish.

Interesting Reading on BBC that "there are new candidates interested" according to Regan because only new name mentioned so far is GARY CALDWELL ffs!!

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

So it would seem being Scottish is one requirement for many, if being Scottish is their only qualification then heck I will throw my name in. I think Billy Davies has more recent experience than Mcleish, the only thing that would tip Mcleish is past record as the Scotland manager.  Who is hungry for it and with good tactical skills and with recent positive experience - that's my three requirements.  let me throw this out for discussion - Can anyone give an example from McLeish's 10 games where we were being beaten or dominated and he made a tactical switch to turn the game?  This was one of Strachan's short comings. 

His very first game, Craig Beattie. Then Lithuania, McFadden.

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 4:54 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

He was wantng the job when Potter got it

I want a scotsman because he will know our expectations and  indefatIgabilty to support  Our team.,not just for a pay check .

On 24/01/2018 at 9:04 AM, Alan said:

Unfortunately we have to realise our position.  Small country. Not an attractive option for many.  We need to either take a punt on inexperience which is very risky and doubt will happen or get someone who has been out of work for some time.

Alas Billy Davies wont get it as Mr X wil make sure any chances are scuppered.

:lol:if there’s one poster who I’d predict to come out with the too wee too stupid argument it would be you.