Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 39 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Offer Marcelo Bielsa what we offered O'Neill and a massive bonus if he qualifies us for something. Doubt he'd think twice about it b ut worth a try. 

Can't imagine Bielsa would be interested in us at all given his CV.
Always been at big nations or big clubs. We're very much small fry by comparison.

20 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

The dread of it being Malky or McLeish has just capped off a depressing day all round. Utterly grim prospects.

For what it is worth I'd like to see us be ambitious and look at Prandelli or Bilic.

However McLeish will be on speed dial no doubt. Rotten.

Mcleish beat france away. Anything wrong with that?

Agreed.

Who knows if they have, but you'd doubt it - but the SFA should be on the phone to the likes of Prandelli, Bilic, Bielsa etc. The chances are that the offer would be rejected, but they certainly should be doing this.

Edited by weekevie04

Can someone remind us, was there some Bilic connection to Scotland in the past? Like something that linked him in some way other than wishful thinking from the Scottish side?

Edited by exile

Too many of the names being bandied about are either has-beens or would-never-be-attainables. So forgive this desperate idea-

Is there any chance that a part-time position would work? On the basis that part slice of a really really good manager would be better than all of a mediocre one? Or some combination of motivational coach and general manager, or some other combination of two managers/coaches, where one is a successful club manager who just swans in for international weekend to motivate and coach the team over two fixtures; and the other is responsible for all the day to day business and groundwork, researching the opposition, etc. After all, international players manage to just turn up for the internationals...

4 hours ago, bonny78 said:

3 hours ago, Rattlesnake said:

Just as an outside shout-what about Mark Hughes?

Still think he is a good manager despite his Stoke days.

I feel we will be going down auld pals route if we go for McLeish.

2 hours ago, exile said:

Too many of the names being bandied about are either has-beens or would-never-be-attainables. So forgive this desperate idea-

Is there any chance that a part-time position would work? On the basis that part slice of a really really good manager would be better than all of a mediocre one? Or some combination of motivational coach and general manager, or some other combination of two managers/coaches, where one is a successful club manager who just swans in for international weekend to motivate and coach the team over two fixtures; and the other is responsible for all the day to day business and groundwork, researching the opposition, etc. After all, international players manage to just turn up for the internationals...

4 hours ago, bonny78 said:

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Said mcleish would be fab as soon as oneil said no.

Kris Boyd thinks Billy Davies should be in with a shout 😂

Lets have a look at what each of the managers who are mentioned here have won or shown an ability to get the a smaller team to beat the teams with more resources.

Malky Mackay - English champ

Steve Clarke - nothing but been an assistant a long time (if he wins scottish cup with kilmarnock will reconsider)

Cesare prandelli - Euro 12 runners up, Serie B - Impressive being runners up but field was weak this year except spain and Italy should be in semis, finals

Slaven Bilic - seems to be flavour of the month woth some despite being a proud croat - WON NOTHING, RUNNERS UP NOTHING??????

Gianni di Biasi - Won nothing, seems to get sacked a lot

Michael O'Neill - Irish Premier Div (2)

Alex McLeish - 2 SPL's, 2 Scottish Cup's, 3 Scottish League Cups, English League Cup with a lower league side, Eng Championship RU with a middle wage bill, Scottish 1 Div and RU with Motherwell in the SPL.

We need someone who understands winning every week, we need someone who has won trophys, we need someone who has been in title or cup races and finished the job against teams who are probably better.  It's an absolutly no brainer, Alex McLeish is by far the best candidate.  I have no idea why the others even being mentioned,  they are not in the same league.  The only managers who are know the scottish game and are alive who are better - Walter Smith & Alex Ferguson.

Oh,,,,, and the last manager to take us to the euros and WC (if we'd scored that penalty!!!, if T.Boyd had dribbled past 7 brazilians 20 secs earlier!!!!!)  Craig Brown recommends Alex McLeish and reckons he's the man to break the drought.

2 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Lets have a look at what each of the managers who are mentioned here have won or shown an ability to get the a smaller team to beat the teams with more resources.

Malky Mackay - English champ

Steve Clarke - nothing but been an assistant a long time (if he wins scottish cup with kilmarnock will reconsider)

Cesare prandelli - Euro 12 runners up, Serie B - Impressive being runners up but field was weak this year except spain and Italy should be in semis, finals

Slaven Bilic - seems to be flavour of the month woth some despite being a proud croat - WON NOTHING, RUNNERS UP NOTHING??????

Gianni di Biasi - Won nothing, seems to get sacked a lot

Michael O'Neill - Irish Premier Div (2)

Alex McLeish - 2 SPL's, 2 Scottish Cup's, 3 Scottish League Cups, English League Cup with a lower league side, Eng Championship RU with a middle wage bill, Scottish 1 Div and RU with Motherwell in the SPL.

We need someone who understands winning every week, we need someone who has won trophys, we need someone who has been in title or cup races and finished the job against teams who are probably better.  It's an absolutly no brainer, Alex McLeish is by far the best candidate.  I have no idea why the others even being mentioned,  they are not in the same league.  The only managers who are know the scottish game and are alive who are better - Walter Smith & Alex Ferguson.

Oh,,,,, and the last manager to take us to the euros and WC (if we'd scored that penalty!!!, if T.Boyd had dribbled past 7 brazilians 20 secs earlier!!!!!)  Craig Brown recommends Alex McLeish and reckons he's the man to break the drought.

You’ve missed out Ian Cathro....

3 hours ago, exile said:

Can someone remind us, was there some Bilic connection to Scotland in the past? Like something that linked him in some way other than wishful thinking from the Scottish side?

There is a photo of him getting into his car wearing a Scotland top from a while back

For some reason i cant post it into the thread just now

36 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

That’s the usual jobs for pals mafia crap that seems to exist in Scotland. Craig Brown is a dinosaur. 

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

That’s the usual jobs for pals mafia crap that seems to exist in Scotland. Craig Brown is a dinosaur. 

ok, i see some are saying this, but the candidates that are being mentioned are not as good as Mcleish.  I would be real intrested to see if anyone can come up with a candidate who has won multiple leagues and cups in european leagues (only countries who have qualified for at least 1 WC). 

1 minute ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

ok, i see some are saying this, but the candidates that are being mentioned are not as good as Mcleish.  I would be real intrested to see if anyone can come up with a candidate who has won multiple leagues and cups in european leagues (only countries who have qualified for at least 1 WC). 

A monkey could’ve won trophies with the money Rangers were paying out. 

10 minutes ago, Ormond said:

A monkey could’ve won trophies with the money Rangers were paying out. 

That was an extremely strong celtic team they were up against.  I don't care, if monkey had done it i would be impressed.  Is he scottish?

Come on there are 30,000 ssc members, surely 1 of us can come with a candidate who has more honours than mcleish.  Instead of this mediocre bunch of candidates that have been spouted so far.

That's all i ask, no more mediocre, someone who everyone will come on to the forum and go wow, i'm signing up, what a great manager.  Can't wait for Costa rica now.

11 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

That was an extremely strong celtic team they were up against.  I don't care, if monkey had done it i would be impressed.  Is he scottish?

Come on there are 30,000 ssc members, surely 1 of us can come with a candidate who has more honours than mcleish.  Instead of this mediocre bunch of candidates that have been spouted so far.

That's all i ask, no more mediocre, someone who everyone will come on to the forum and go wow, i'm signing up, what a great manager.  Can't wait for Costa rica now.

Hiddink.

I wonder why McLeish has been unemployed for so long?

15 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

McLeish has barely managed anyone in 3 years. Why do you think that is?

4 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Hiddink.

I wonder why McLeish has been unemployed for so long?

Just now, stevenmcn said:

McLeish has barely managed anyone in 3 years. Why do you think that is?

Yes I agree, I would go for Mcleish or Hiddink, his ability to get non big4 (Bra,Arg,Ita,Ger) nations to the later stages of the WC is impressive.

As for not working, maybe he only wants the scotland job to make up for leaving us last time.  Which I understood as he was still a young guy and didn't want to wait a year for the next game, plus I think that loss to Italy kicked him in the gut, and he was still worn out from Rangers.

He sees the potential of the Scotland team and thinks I'll be the guy who takes them to the Euros and will be hailed a hero, then go on to win in 2022!