Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The final draw hasn’t been made yet. Our group should be a little easier than that.

We can’t get Hungary, Romania or Slovenia in our group as they are the top seeds (along with us) in League C.

If all the top seeds in League C win their groups then the playoffs would be Hungary, Romania, Slovenia and Scotland.  

Oh jeez, you're right. Ok, i really need to stop trying to understand this and just concentrate on my beer. Cheers! :lol:  :beer2:

On 19/10/2017 at 10:57 PM, DonnyTJS said:

I hope and trust that it's because the new board muffins hold the wise and mature view that the 'like' function simply distorts the ebb and flow of normal board discourse as threads are poxed with 'like-bait' posts, obsession sets in as to who is top of the 'likes' leader board while others plot to undermine their positions, and all the while decent, contemplative posters languish in the murk of the unliked lower reaches of the league table. If you don't believe me, take a look at any message board that allows the thing ...

Edit: Hey, I can quote from my usual browser again ... for the first time in years ... Huzzah!

Sorry Donny 😂

On 21/10/2017 at 12:36 AM, Bino's said:

Ancelloti, hypothetically

Personally, I think he's overrated. He's one of those guys that always gets the big gigs like Mancini and Guardiola, but considering who he's managed, his record isn't amazing. Think he only has 4 league titles to his name in 20 yrs of management and I'm not sure how he would do working with players who aren't top qualify. I know that the Bayern Munich players weren't happy with him and said his training sessions were dull and out of date.

Harry Redknapp has thrown his hat in the ring :o:o:o.

Very surprised at that especially with him desperate for the England job every time it became available, wonder if he now concedes that he'll never get it and we are his next choice.

Still Casare Prandelli or Paul Lambert for me personally but would not be against Arry.

4 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Why is nobody except me touting Darren Ferguson? Clearly the man for the job. Come on SFA, Scotland needs Fergie Jnr. Desperately ...

Hardly excelled at the level he has managed at has he and we why would we be aiming to bring in a league one manager? Nope.

52 minutes ago, CNelson said:

Hardly excelled at the level he has managed at has he and we why would we be aiming to bring in a league one manager? Nope.

He’s actually had a more illustrious management career than Michael O Neill had before he got the N Ireland job.

That said he wouldn’t be anywhere near my list.

I’ve got a feeling it’ll be Lambert, I’d like to see McAllister and Collins involved in the coaching staff also.

On 22/10/2017 at 3:44 PM, Bino's said:

Moyes being tipped for return to Everton

MacKay as next permanent manager becoming more secure

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Mackay got it.  

A couple of things strike me as strange. 

Firstly, Mackay's appointment by the SFA not in a coaching role but as performance director.  As far as I'm aware he has no previous knowledge in a similar role. 

Secondly, the SFA's uncharacteristic swiftness in discarding Strachan.  Now, I'm not saying they should have kept him on but compared to how ponderous they were in disposing of our previous two permanent managers they looked quite decisive on that occasion.  That suggests to me that Mackay  has a mate, or mates, somewhere in the upper echelons of the SFA who had him earmarked for the manager's job all along.

24 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Firstly, Mackay's appointment by the SFA not in a coaching role but as performance director.  As far as I'm aware he has no previous knowledge in a similar role. 

Secondly, the SFA's uncharacteristic swiftness in discarding Strachan.  Now, I'm not saying they should have kept him on but compared to how ponderous they were in disposing of our previous two permanent managers they looked quite decisive on that occasion.  That suggests to me that Mackay  has a mate, or mates, somewhere in the upper echelons of the SFA who had him earmarked for the manager's job all along.

Dont think there is anything in that

There were calls for Strachan to go early on in the campaign and i believe there was an agreement that getting to the play offs would be his make or break

Doubtful that would have been cast in stone however despite the contradictory reports i believe Strachan wanted to go - hence the genetics statement.

Clearly he wasnt literally meaning The Boys from Brazil medical experimentation when he said genetics was the issue - more so the abysmal player development/coaching in Scotland.

Strachan knew direct criticism of the SFA from within is something they dont often tolerate

So Strachan while wanting to go made it much easier

Edited by Ally Bongo

10 hours ago, scotlad said:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-clubs-elect-board-for-1718/

he's got a pal here or there. MacKay former Queens Park player himself of course

On 25/10/2017 at 12:55 AM, Ally Bongo said:

Dont think there is anything in that

There were calls for Strachan to go early on in the campaign and i believe there was an agreement that getting to the play offs would be his make or break

Doubtful that would have been cast in stone however despite the contradictory reports i believe Strachan wanted to go - hence the genetics statement.

Clearly he wasnt literally meaning The Boys from Brazil medical experimentation when he said genetics was the issue - more so the abysmal player development/coaching in Scotland.

Strachan knew direct criticism of the SFA from within is something they dont often tolerate

So Strachan while wanting to go made it much easier

In isolation the fact Strachan was let go of quite quickly wouldn't surprise me too much - he had two full campaigns, more than his immediate predecessors, and still failed to get us even to a play-off.  But in conjunction with the first part, when Mackay, unlike Wotte and McClair has no previous experience in a similar role?  Just seems odd to me.

By the way, I hope I'm just putting two and two together and making five here. I don't want Mackay to get the job. 

23 hours ago, Bino's said:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-clubs-elect-board-for-1718/

he's got a pal here or there. MacKay former Queens Park player himself of course

Indeed... 

I hope the SFA stick out a vacancy and take applications from European managers, because the  more I look at the list I get more and more disheartened with the names there! There are plenty of good European managers that may want a stab at national management, either because its the right time in their career or to put themselves in the window. Lets face it - a young foreign manager who is perhaps out of work that could do a decent job for us, would probably put themselves out there for a future EPL job. 

The problem clearly would be our budget, but just having a quick search online looking at managers that left their club jobs In the summer, and are still out of work, theres a few I would love to get involved with the national team.

Klinsman for me would be an amazing appointment, but I simply don't think the SFA could afford him...

Guys like Thomas Tuchel and Paolo Sousa (left Dormund and Fiorentina over the summer) will be nobodd's radar, but both young coaches who could bring something totally different to the set up, and yes - might only be one campaign appointments, but it would be good to try something new.

From the list of older guys - Martin Jol maybe or Jaunde Ramos? Both did fairly well down with Spurs. Maybe we don't even need someone who has managed in the UK, as longs someone as part of the backroom team have? Felix Magath was very well thought of in Germany but didn't do particularly well at Fulham, Michel Preudhomme did a good job over in Belgium, Berndt Schuster has worked across 3 or 4 countries.

Theres plenty folk out there - I just hope that the SFA organise a full and widespread application and interview process!

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Looking at the list of names being tipped for the job it looks a sure case of out of the frying pan into the fire.

Couldn't agree more.  I was one of the many wanting strachan out but now that the dust has settled, I'm not so sure!  

On 10/26/2017 at 11:12 AM, Marky said:

The best manager in Scotland at the moment (perhaps Rodgers aside) is Jack Ross.

However, I doubt the SFA would be able to tempt him away from the prestigious role he currently holds.

What would make you suggest Ross is the best?

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, he is eligible

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/452390/Jamie-Paterson-on-Scotland-radar

His Bristol City teammate, Joe Bryan (left wing back), has played for us at youth level and remains available.

That's good news, but doubt he will get into the squad in the foreseeable future. I live down in Nottinghamshire now and saw him when he was at Forest, very skilful player with quick feet in the box, although I heard from a few sources he was a bit of a lad away from the pitch and thats why Forest got rid.

No major problem as still a young player and I am sure the right manager will get the best out of him.

I see Joe Jordan is the latest one to be mentioned as the next manager. Great player for us who gave everything, but his record as a manager not so goo if I remember....shame as I really like the guy.

I remember years ago when Eric Black worked with the young Scotland team, he was being touted as a future Scotland manager, but seems to be assistant to numerous clubs but never really in the hot seat.