Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Does Prandelli speak English?

So far, he or Lambert are the ones I'd be happy with but we will see soon guys like Csaba Laszlo expressing an interest.

Oh and Mick McCarthy manages Ipswich so that's him ruled out, anyone in a job will say no to the job ;).

Promote Scott Gemmill while we're between campaigns. Short term contract filled with as many friendlies as possible. See how he goes with bringing some youth players into the senior squad with him. Try get as many games against Eastern European and Scandinavian opposition as we can. Don't put too much pressure for results - just give time to blood as much talent as we have - get some caps on them - fart about with shape and tactics and stuff. It would make for an exciting experiment! 

Edited by DizzyVizion

33 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Didn't he only take over when they were already in fourth place?

Maybe but he still wouldn’t be my first choice. He reminds me of a Dutch Strachan in terms of stubbornness and how he deals with the media.

He probably won’t get sacked if they were in fourth when he took over so I doubt he’ll be coming here anyway. 

Advocaat would be a poor appointment. He had a job convincing his Mrs to take the Sunderland job which makes me wonder if he'd be willing to travel to watch games every week.

Would love to see Steve Clarke as assistant manager now that he's at Kille. 

Edited by Saint4805

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No one has seriously suggested Martin O'Neil for Scotland anyway.

Michael O'Neil on the other hand is well worth considering for the Scotland job.

It of course would have nothing whatsoever to do with them being Irish or Catholic I trust ......

You must just have the xenophobia accusation at the ready??

1 minute ago, Paulo2576 said:

You must just have the xenophobia accusation at the ready??

I don't think a mandatory "he/she/it has got to be 100% Scottish" is ever a good idea.

It's insular, backward and is frankly all about being suspicious of "outsiders". Why be so reluctant to move on like the rest of the world has ?

If we were ever to appoint an English manager I would not mind in the slightest.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't think a mandatory "he/she/it has got to be 100% Scottish" is ever a good idea.

It's insular, backward and is frankly all about being suspicious of "outsiders". Why be so reluctant to move on like the rest of the world has ?

If we were ever to appoint an English manager I would not mind in the slightest.

That's cool, however what you fail to understand time and time again is that someone not wanting a non scot in charge does not make them xenophobic or a bigot. 

It was tongue in cheek anyway, I just laughed at you suggesting there was an anti Irish element to it when there was absolutely nothing to suggest it.

19 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

I would take Sean Dyche in a heartbeat. England have a made a complete howler by appointing Southgate. 

Sean Dyche is probably my dream choice for Scotland manager. He'll definitely move to a big club in the next twelve to eighteen months. Sadly we'd never get him managing Scotland :(

22 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

That's cool, however what you fail to understand time and time again is that someone not wanting a non scot in charge does not make them xenophobic or a bigot. 

It was tongue in cheek anyway, I just laughed at you suggesting there was an anti Irish element to it when there was absolutely nothing to suggest it.

Wanting to make the job exclusively Scottish is xenophobic in my book.

It's not patriotic, it's just stupid.

The Scottish options for manager are completely pish. We should be searching far and wide for our next manager. This stupid tradition of preferring Scots should be thrown on the bonfire were it belongs.

Also with regards to the second part of your post I certainly do regard the other users comment of "no o Neil's of any sort please " as having a rather nasty connotation attached to it.

Hard as this may be for some idiots to accept but we, Scotland, are not an exceptional nation. We need to embrace the ideas and skills that "outsiders" bring to help us improve.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sean Dyche is probably my dream choice for Scotland manager. He'll definitely move to a big club in the next twelve to eighteen months. Sadly we'd never get him managing Scotland :(

The Scottish options for manager are completely pish. We should be searching far and wide for our next manager. This stupid tradition of preferring Scots should be thrown on the bonfire were it belongs.

Also with regards to the second part of your post I certainly do regard the other users comment of "no o Neil's of any sort please " as having a rather nasty connotation attached to it.

Hard as this may be for some idiots to accept but we, Scotland, are not an exceptional nation. We need to embrace the ideas and skills that "outsiders" bring to help us improve.

Is limiting the players that can play for Scotland to Scots also xenophobic?

FIFA could easily introduce a rule which limits managers of countries to people from that country. 

I personally don’t think that would be a good idea and wouldn’t mind another foreign manager but I can understand why some people would prefer a Scottish manager. They are managing Scotland after all and if the players need to be Scottish then you could argue that the manager should be as well.

It doesn’t necessarily make them xenophobic (although in some cases they might be). 

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

When he said none of the O'Neill's, I took that meant he didn't want Martin or Michael not a slight on the Irish nation, but you carry on feeding your paranoia. 

What the hell are you on about with exceptional nation? Do you honestly believe that's the reason why people would prefer a Scottish manager. Pretty sure your wide of the mark by some distance. You seem obsessed by labelling people as xenophobic, go and look it up in the dictionary and then have a think about if it is really relevant in the arena of international football. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Is limiting the players that can play for Scotland to Scots also xenophobic?

FIFA could easily introduce a rule which limits managers of countries to people from that country. 

I personally don’t think that would be a good idea and wouldn’t mind another foreign manager but I can understand why some people would prefer a Scottish manager. They are managing Scotland after all and if the players need to be Scottish then you could argue that the manager should be as well.

It doesn’t necessarily make them xenophobic (although in some cases they might be). 

Can anyone truly define who is and who is not Scottish though ? That's such a big debate by itself anyway.

We have players who were born and bred in Scotland and those who were not. We have players at all levels who qualify for us thanks to their parents or grandparents or the schooling rule.

Asides from the obvious coaching and management skills that go without saying, the only other necessary thing required from a Scotland manager is that they speak fluent English. 

And I do think there is a xenophobic element to those not wanting a Scot as manager. They want a good old boy who'll stick to the old ways.

4 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

When he said none of the O'Neill's, I took that meant he didn't want Martin or Michael not a slight on the Irish nation, but you carry on feeding your paranoia. 

What the hell are you on about with exceptional nation? Do you honestly believe that's the reason why people would prefer a Scottish manager. Pretty sure your wide of the mark by some distance. You seem obsessed by labelling people as xenophobic, go and look it up in the dictionary and then have a think about if it is really relevant in the arena of international football. 

No I stick to my original belief. :ok:

Bit rich coming form the you seeing as you hit the roof every time we call up someone to the senior or Under 21 team who wasn't born and bred in Scotland. :rolleyes:

A demand for a kind of national purity is really sinister I think.

Said it many times, but I think every international manager should be from the nation their managing.... if not, it's just an extension of the modern "money rules / sky TV / scottish kids with Barcelona tops" ...... all about how big yer bank balance is. It's got hee-haw to do with xenophobia... that accusation is pure daft.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Can anyone truly define who is and who is not Scottish though ? That's such a big debate by itself anyway.

We have players who were born and bred in Scotland and those who were not. We have players at all levels who qualify for us thanks to their parents or grandparents or the schooling rule.

Asides from the obvious coaching and management skills that go without saying, the only other necessary thing required from a Scotland manager is that they speak fluent English. 

And I do think there is a xenophobic element to those not wanting a Scot as manager. They want a good old boy who'll stick to the old ways.

Bit rich coming form the you seeing as you hit the roof every time we call up someone to the senior or Under 21 team who wasn't born and bred in Scotland. :rolleyes:

Parent rule matey. That's all I ask. So on the face of it I'm absolutely fine with Matt Ritchie.

how do you know they want a good old boy who'll stick to the old ways? I doubt very much the people who would want a Scottish manager want it for that reason. I suspect it's because they want someone connected to our country and certainly not because they "have a fear or dislike of people from other countries ", (that's the definition of xenophobia by the way). 

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You seem to be a big fan of tarring everyone with the same brush. 

It is possible to want a Scottish manager for the Scottish national team without being xenophobic even if you don’t think that’s possible. The same way that it’s possible to only want Scots to play for Scotland without being xenophobic.

The definition of what being Scottish is in terms of football nationality is set out by FIFA and the agreement we have with the other home nations. It’s actually pretty straightforward. 

Allan Mannus thinks Michael O'Neill may take a club job next and I actually agree, so its either NI for another campaign or a club job.

So that's Allardyce categorically saying no and Eck, Moyes, Lambert and now O'Neill saying its club football ahead of International for their next job.

So at the moment that just leaves Prandelli.

I didn't say Malky Mackay because I still think he's continuing his performance director role after the friendly against Holland.